“Good location and decent rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clarion Hotel & Conference Center

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Shepherdstown
Potomac, MD
“Good location and decent rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

I attended a conference here and was satisfied with my room and the services. There were pluses: Excellent location just a 10-minute walk from downtown Shepherdstown and 20 minutes from the racetrack, nice fitness facility and small pool, brisk walking tour with hotel staffer Deb every morning 6:15-7:00, good service, room safe, refrigerator, microwave, and good pillows. There were minuses: Both my room phones were inoperable for different reasons (fixed the next day), my radio would not stop blinking (replaced the next day), and the hair dryer sounded like a helicopter was landing. Desk staff were very helpful and informative (directions, for example). Rooms could use an update, but were comfortable nevertheless. All in all, a good location at a decent price.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Brandon M, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Tripadvisor community. We get a lot of good feedback about those morning walks and I am glad you were able to participate. They are a great way to start the day! The hairdryers are an item that we hope to soon replace. If you happen to be back and have an issue with one, contact the front desk as we have a few handheld ones available for use during your stay. I am glad you found the staff helpful. We are very proud of them! Hope to have you back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

From the professional staff, to the room, to the restaurant, my husband and I enjoyed our stay. Even though breakfast is not included, we found that the breakfast buffet there was very reasonably priced. Oh, I discovered the Warrior's Trail in the back next to the parking lot. Rather than workout in the fitness center, I enjoyed a power walk on this well maintained trail. The room could use a quick make over--carpet and walls; however, the pillows were oh so nice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear LadyeHawke,

Thank you for sharing your impression of you stay with us and the community. The Warrior Trail is a great amenity. I prefer to get exercise outdoors when possible and it could not be more convenient! It takes some work to keep it well maintained, but I think you would agree it is worth it. We hope to have you back again soon as our guest!
Charleston, WV
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

Having stayed here in the past, I was disappointed with the cleanliness of the room. The long, dark hairs in the bathtub were unsettling. . . Being within walking distance to the wonderful Main Street of Shepherdstown was a plus! The town is charming!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear WVfanCharlestown,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It is through this process that we are better able to serve our future guests. I was sorry to hear that your room was cleaned up to our normal standards. I will share this feedback and ensure that it does not happen again. I understand your concern and we take your comments seriously. If you are ever back in our town again (which I agree, is a very charming town!) I hope we get another opportunity to impress you.
Warrenton, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

Jenn was very helpful, courteous and professional. We explained our situation, she analyzed the options and promptly assisted us with getting a room in the wee hours of the morning. We will strongly recommend to our friends that they stay at your hotel when visiting this part of West Virginia because of her excellent customer service! We know several couples that travel to Hollywood Casino, so you're likely to have some referral business from our experience.

The other two employees that we interacted with at checkout were just as friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Brandon M, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with us! We are very proud to have Jenn on our team and I am glad that her level of customer service does not go unnoticed. I can not thank you enough for telling others about our property. No marketing is more effective that word of mouth from a trusted source. Thank you again and we look forward to having you back as our guest in the future!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Not many choices and have been to comfort inn and Bavarian inn beats Comfort Inn ands down decent size room and good pool area with work out room Rooms a little worn but so is Bavarian Inn and much higher price

• Stayed July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Brandon M, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience. I was glad that you enjoyed your stay and the pool! We hope that if your travel plans find you back in our town, that you return to the Clarion Hotel and Conference Center.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Spent two evening at the hotel and was delighted by the facilities and service. They serve a bountiful buffet breakfast and the dining was excellent. The crab cakes are as good as one finds in Baltimore and the bartenders know how to pour a good drink. The town of Shepherdstown is most charming.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank welchboy
I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience. We take great pride in our service and product and I was glad to hear that you enjoyed both! The crab cakes are amazing and I am glad you had a chance to experience them. We hope that if your travel plans find you back in our town, that you return to the Clarion Hotel and Conference Center.
San Francisco Bay Area
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Our experience was virtually identical to that of the previous reviewer. Phone that didn't work, security latch had been yanked off of the door, scratched and dingy furniture, analog (Really?) TV reception that was a joke, cracked sink, and a terrible breakfast. I had a better breakfast at a Super 8 motel recently, and it was free. This one cost us $17 for 2 people. Ironically, the only bright spot with this hotel was the great service in the breakfast room.

The problem is, there are virtually no decent, moderately priced hotels serving the Antietam National Battlefield Park, so you are kind of stuck, if you are interested in Civil War history. This one should charge about half as much, to make the cost equivalent to hotels of similar quality. Don't stay here unless you have to.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you have to!!