“Ok, rooms are dated, extra charge for Fitness Center” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel & Conference Center

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Shepherdstown
Cary, North Carolina
“Ok, rooms are dated, extra charge for Fitness Center”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We stayed here for a family member's wedding. This is a mid-range option for Shepherdstown but the nicest you'll get that is affilated with any of the large hotel chain points programs. The front desk staff and concierge are very friendly, courteous and helpful. They were willing to always assist with local directions and recommendations regarding shopping or food.

The hotel itself is clean and has some good amenities including a fitness club and pool. There is however an extra charge to utilize these facilities. Throughout the facility, there are signs of it being fairly dated. The carpets need replacing and the interiors of the rooms have a definitive 90s look and feel (ie. cherry wood furnishing, dark jewel colored bedding, carpets and drapes). Beds are average, but if you've stayed in Marriott or Starwood properties, you'll find these do not come close to that level of comfort in comparison.

Overall it was sufficient as a place to sleep of average cleanliness and comfort. We will likely stay again since there is family in this area. If a more upscale property affiliated with a major chain were to come to this town however, we would stay there instead.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night at this location only because rooms at the national conservation training center were full!
Checking in was standard and staff were adequate. The room felt older, but it had all the necessities.
Getting ready for bed I noticed the fluorescent entrance light was flickering after I had turned it off, indicating to me either faulty wiring or more likely, a dying lightbulb. My call to the front desk was less than helpful as I was told a maintenance person would not be available and nobody could come to my room to assist me. Seriously?? Staff didn't know if another room was available and said they would check. In the meantime I dragged the luggage rack over to the ceiling light and stood on it to see if I could remove the bulb. I managed to loosen the bulb and slow the flickering to less dance-party like flicker. Dusting the ceiling debris from my pjs I called the front desk back. They informed me there was one room if I wanted to move. I informed them I was tired, i didn't want to dress and move, and that i had mitigated the problem because they didn't. Disappointed in their lack of action or concern. .
I would probably not recommend a stay here if something else is available...which is sad, since I enjoy the area and like the town.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Shepherdstown hotels

Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed overnight at the Clarion on New Year's Eve while attending a show at the Opera House in Shepherdstown. The hotel has a beautiful stairway in the lobby and was nicely decorated for the holiday. It may be an older hotel but looked to be kept in good order and areas including our room, were clean and appeared well maintained. We stayed at another hotel in the area a year before and this one was definitely an "upgrade" compared to that one. Our room and bathroom were both spacious and clean. The bed was comfortable and, although there were late night festivities going on downstairs, our room was quiet. We never even heard anyone in the hallway. Would definitely recommend staying at the Clarion if visiting the Shepherdstown area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cheyenne, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

This hotel is set back from any major roads and the walls are thick, making for one of the quietest hotels I've slept in. Yes, this is an older hotel which is really evident in the bathrooms. The rooms are spacious with a microwave and small fridge. They offer an outdoor pool, (closed during winter), a Jacuzzi, a decent workout facility and a full size basketball court. I was there for training and we were fed buffet style meals and the food was good but not exceptional. The staff was friendly and helpful though not real knowledgeable of the area. An easy walk into town. All in all, I enjoyed the stay and would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
Balt MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This place needs an update, rooms are a little worn and in need of an update. Staff was helpful and didn't have any serious issues. I would stay again and visit the town, it looked interesting. Breakfast was disappointing - scrambled somthing that tried to be eggs. not a lot of variety.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
PhilJerz
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed at the Clarion for 4 nights last month. Where do I begin...let's start with the good. The rooms are a really nice size...flat screen TVs, mini-fridge and microwave in your room. Its close to Shepardstown Downtown area..Uhmmmm...yeah... that's about it. The hotel needs a complete overhaul. It's just old and moldy. The cleanliness is questionable. I had spots on the duvet, the sheet were rather scratchy. I do not think the sheets were changed. The duvet definitely wasnt cleaned or changed. The internet was slow as hell. The staff could use some training. One of the front desk clear had her leg propped up on a chair while she was standing at the front desk....A very nonchalant attitude. I don't need the attitude, nor do I want it.

If you look for a hotel and there is not another choice...good luck with the Clarion. Personally, I do not recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: Sleep at another hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank PhilJerz
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed at the Clarion the night before I ran the 2012 Freedom's Run Marathon, and was disappointed to find the staff printed out the wrong directions to the marathon start (causing me to be late for the race start) despite their being very friendly.

After recovering from the marathon, we had time to assess the accommodations and found the cleanliness of the room to be questionable with a less-than-fragrant comforter and dingy room and bathroom amenities.

But you can't beat the location - the hotel is one of the few (2?) in Shepherdstown, and was a walk or 2 minute drive from the adorable downtown. There weren't many other options in town, but I think that if I ran the Freedom's Run again, I might try to stay at the quirky Bavarian Inn across town and try my chances there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bernie21NYC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shepherdstown
Quality Inn Shepherdstown
Econo Lodge Harpers Ferry
#1 of 3 in Harpers Ferry
4.0 of 5 stars 255 reviews
Hampton Inn & Suites Charles Town

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!