Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Bavarian Inn(Shepherdstown)
View Hotel
Quality Inn & Suites(Kearneysville)
Quality Inn(Harpers Ferry)
Carefree Inn(Martinsburg)
View Hotel
All reviewstwo sinksquaint townan older hotelbasketball courtchecking inbed was very comfortablefridge and microwavecanal towpathharpers ferrytaverngymtriviatrail
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stayed at the Clarion Hotel in Shepherdstown for five nights in August 2012. The staff seemed friendly and interested in promoting positive experiences for the guests.

As a facility, however, the Clarion was tired and just barely OK. Huge negative: the windows in the guest rooms did not open! How sad -- find the architect and fire him/her! As a result, I was stuck with noisy AC or fan options -- neither or which ever turned off. I thought the room was clean and comfortable enough, but the furnishings in it were neither stylish nor current. Moreover the room was dark and needed more lighting. Also, my room telephone did not work at all, despite my inquiring about it at the front desk. That said, wireless Internet worked fine and delivered good bandwidth -- thanks! Also, I was glad the room frig was unplugged -- this saved energy, as I didn't have a reason to use it.

The advertised "health club/spa" consisted of a smallish room of aerobic fitness machines, another room crowded with free weights and weight machines, and a outdoor pool/hot tub and indoors sauna. I used the fitness machines several times. They were small in number, worn out, and dated (compared to the equipment at my local YMCA). The equipment would have been state-of-the-art in ca. 1995. By no means did I depart thinking I had experienced a "health club". The weight machines also were barely average in terms of their quantity and currency. I did not try the pool, hot tub, or sauna; from what little I noticed, the kids in the pool seemed to be enjoying themselves.

IMHO -- the hotel's website claim to "beautiful landscaping" was extreme hyperbole. By no means was the Clarion property a dump; but neither was it pretty.

Bottom line: Sheperdstown's Clarion is a barely adequate facility. It is appropriate for housing federal government employees -- you definitely won't come away from it thinking, "how dare those feds -- they have it made!" In line with other reviewers' comments, I expect the Clarion's sweetheart deal with Uncle Sam is a major disincentive for investing seriously to improve the properly.

If you are a private citizen plunking down your own money, I expect you will find better nearby lodging choices at an equal tariff -- a Bavarian Inn is in town, for example, and perhaps you can do better there. In addition, Martinsburg WV is just down the road. And Virginia isn't far away.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Andrew1234
Reviewed July 21, 2012

If you're planning on staying at the Clarion you should be aware; This is not a traveler's Hotel. The primary purpose of this Hotel is to serve the Government training facility (Eastern Management Development Center) that is directly attached to the Hotel. Because of this guaranteed business, the Hotel does little to no maintenance/updating of it's rooms.

The rooms are small and worn. Some smell like smoke (ours did), others smell like mold (other guests on floor). Some of our bathroom tiles were missing grout while a lot of the grout that was there was discoloured with mold. The furniture is showing serious signs of wear and tear and I'm fairly confident that it has not been replaced since the Hotel opened over a decade ago.

The staff was neither friendly nor helpful. When we walked into the lobby we were greeted with a sign saying the pool was closed (of course this was during the recent heat wave. Later on when exploring the hotel we saw the signs posted closer to the pool which stated that the pool was closed 'By order of the Health Department'). When we checked into our room we walked in to find our Air Conditioning cover laying on the floor. The AC was also non functional. The fan worked but it was not cooling. The beds were covered with some kind of dirt and hair. We went to the front desk and the person there literally just shrugged at me and said there was nothing she could do as they were fully booked that night. Here's a protip for the Clarion staff: when a guest who checks in at 4pm has a major problem with their room, you move them to another room and have your houseman clean/fix/repair the problem room and give it to someone who checks in hours later. You don't just shrug at the guest and blow them off.

Other hotels in the area were fully booked so we were stuck. Luckily I was able to get the AC partially working by unplugging the unit and restarting it several times. The final straw was when I attempted to take a shower in the morning. I turned on the water and was immediately hit by an odor. It literally smelled like swamp water.

Broken AC. Dirt, mold, odors... The Clarion of course charged us full price for our experience. They don't even offer the most basic continental breakfast which is pretty much an industry standard for hotels that charge $120+ per night like the Clarion does.

Room Tip: No breakfast offered.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank PhilG328
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Stayed here for a couple weeks on business in the area. Will try to avoid going forward.

The rooms were overall dirty. Shower curtains with dingy brown stains, vents coated in thick black dust, musty smell, etc. It wasn't the most comfortable stay. if there were a handful of visible problems I'm sure there are more I don't see.

Also coming for business I was shocked at the lack of internet connectivity. There was no high-speed ethernet available - in fact, the rooms had "modem" connections on the desks. Modems... What decade is this? Then the "free wifi" didn't work over half the time and the other half it was a 1-bar connection which disconnected constantly. Over one day it just straight-up wouldn't connect for anyone in my group. When we asked the front desk they replied "I'm not authorized to reset the internet. I could with more complaints." Poor customer service. We had different people complain to eventually hit the arbitrary amount to have the staff reset it. It then went back to its choppy 1-bar glory.

Overall, between the dirty rooms and outdated amenities I'd avoid this location if given a choice.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank CaptAdventure
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed here for a HS reunion held in the hotel. The location is great if you are visiting the University or the town. The hoter is clean but dated. The room was a typical hotel room. The day we checked in the temp. was near 100. The AC was off in the room when we entered. The wall unit was EXTREMELY loud. Very annoying! The fridge and microwave were unplugged. The ironing board would not close. Bathroom was clean. Average place to stay.

Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Don’t bring you kids to the pool. This a no toy or splash zone, cause people should be able to use computer, phone and book or other water sensitive equipment, next to the pool without getting it wet. The 2 restaurant at Clarion is not recommended to use. The “Tuscany Grille food” taste like the food come from a jar and “Rumsey Taverns” served me “fresh” dry microwave spareribs. Cold outside and inside hot. It was grilled, but not the same day as served. Rooms are nice and clean.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family