“Lousy and inexcusable”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Seneca Rocks
Yokum's Vacationland
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Seneca Rocks
Reviewed October 13, 2010

From the ridiculous hand written note stating we have 20 minutes to complain to the stairwell that was not lit (resulting in a sprained ankle) this place was poor on every level. No system to confirm reservations, nobody at service desk/cashier at restaurant that knew what they were doing, dirty floors, no shelves for pots and pans (they were just tossed onto the floor under the cabinets, no coffee cups, no paper towels, an inefficient amount of toilet paper, uncomfortable beds, a couch with the springs sticking out and filthy to boot, a light that did not work in the bathroom, outdoor grills with no grates...and the list could go on. Oh and then there was the envelope telling you where to leave the tip...as if. Next time I climb the Via Feratta (excellent by the way) I'll stay down the road in Harmans Cabins. Wish I'd known about them earlier.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank KJStemple

Reviewed September 29, 2010

My wife and I went for our 1 year anniversary. What a disappointment! We stayed in cabin 21 and what a dump! The toilet didn't flush properly, the bed was terrable(you could feel EVERY spring),the TV was from the 70s or 80s,and the back deck was in need of maintence. When I complained and told them that I probably would not return, they just blew me off. They showed no sign of wanting to keep a customer. We spent almost $90 and it wasn't worth more than $30 (maybe). We had planned on making this a yearly routine, but we have definitely changed our minds. We will never return.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HillBilly27
Reviewed September 21, 2010

I reserved cabin number two for our family to stay in while visiting family in West Virginia. We arrived fairly late, but we were greeted by someone in the store. Since we were unfamiliar with the area, a gentleman from the Yokum family escorted us to our cabin. We unloaded our trucks and went to bed for the night.

The next morning we explored our cabin. The loft was roomy and there were plenty of beds for us to stay sleep in. I can't say that the beds were comfortable. I did have a crick in my neck for two days, but I'm spoiled back home with my mattress. Our sheets were clean so that's a plus! :)

Fortunately I overpacked. There are dishes and cookware there, but I'm a complete germaphobe so I packed my own. There are also drinking cups, coffee cups, silverware, and cooking utensils. Again, I brought my own. I highly suggest this.

Apparently there have been some complaints in the past that have involved refunds, because there's a notification on the countertop that states you have 20 minutes to inspect your cabin and complain. After that you will be charged for the full amount.

There's also a bowl of candy with an envelope from the housekeepers wishing you a great stay and also letting you know that you can put your tip in the envelope should you be so inclined. I'll be honest and say that we weren't inclined. Overall, the cabin was clean, but if you opened drawers or cabinets they were not clean at all. I didn't find any type of dead bugs or bug poop, so that's a plus.

Our hot tub was clean, however, our neighbors was not. That was remedied the next day. Someone came out, drained it, filled it back up, and put the chemicals in it. Our hot tub was hot, but it didn't work. Apparently someone had changed the filter and it didn't go back into working mode. At 9 PM someone came out to fix it for us. I thought that was VERY nice of them since my twins were chomping at the bit to get in that thing. I got in the hot tub and it was very nice. The chemicals bleached out my teenagers shirt a little bit, but I'm all for chemicals in the pool/hot tub so I didn't care. I only mention it to someone who might wear something of importance in it. Our bathing suits were unaffected by the chemicals.

Please note that you will not have any cell phone service in Seneca Rocks. In Frankin (about 30 minutes away) you can get service if you have AT&T. There's free wi-fi at the Shell station. There's a coffee shop across the street from the Yokum Store that says there's free wi-fi, but I didn't get to go in because they were closed (it was Sunday).

Behind cabin number two are two headstones where some of the Yokum family members are buried. It didn't bother us, but it might bother someone else.

Our television worked just fine. There aren't a plethora of channels, but that doesn't matter. It worked. The microwave, stove, and oven worked just fine. Our toilets flushed and our sinks had running water. The views were spectacular.

I would definitely go back to the cabins, but after reading reviews I don't know that I would stay anywhere else within the Yokum establishments. I didn't have any complaints about the staff there. Please take my advice on the kitchen items. Take paper plates, bowls, plastic silverware, and plastic cups.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank gerontologee
Reviewed September 15, 2010

Well, Where do we start!! The first room #8 had hair in the supposed fresh bed, so we asked for a new room. Ok, so they gave us room #10 and there was more hair in that bed, and the bed was do wore out that you laid in a U. We were totally digusted!!!!! We just asked for clean sheets and we changed our own bed. The first clue that is was a dump was the note on the micorwave stating that you only have 20 minutes to complain then you pay full price. The bathrooms were digusting, and the water just dripped out of the shower that was moldy!!! The air conditioners in the window were boarded with cardboard that was duck taped and were falling out. Then when we went to the hotel restaurant for breakfast the waitress wouldn't let us in cause the cook didn't show up till an hour and a half late!!!!! Then the next day they got in a loud argument in kitchen while were waiting for our breakfast. Some of the customers got up and left. Too bad we had already ordered, and didn't have time to go elsewhere before our climb at nelsons rock. We should have stayed in the cabins with no electric and no running water.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bigjohn02435
Reviewed September 10, 2010

After a hot day of hiking Seneca Rocks, we got to the motel. They did not have enough water pressure to take a shower. Had to wait at least 1/2 an hour between flushing toilet because we had to wait for the tank to fill back up. In the morning the toilet would not flush at all!!!! Pressed the handle down and there was NO water. We could not turn on the air conditioner because it was so filthy. I opened the small window in the bathroom to try and get air and it fell off in my hands. When I pay for a motel room I at least expect plumbing!!!!! This is a link to a video I shot of the non-working toilet:
It is 45 minutes to an hour to drive to Franklin or Elkins WV to get another motel room and we were tired after hiking and did not feel like driving the windy roads of WV after dark.
This is the motel by the restaurant, I believe that the photos on the website are from their cabins or their new motel over the general store.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank zafiradaima
Reviewed July 6, 2010

My brother-in-law and I take several motorcycle trips a year, and we plan them pretty extensively to keep us occupied during the long winter months. This year, we were heading to Seneca Rocks and on to Shenandoah National Park in Virginia. We decided to stay at Yokum's on the way there and on the way back. I called in our reservations MONTHS in advance, and called two weeks prior to confirm the dates and soforth.

Yokums has two motel properties located about half a mile from one another, and we were scheduled to stay on a Thursday and Saturday evening at the "old" motel. Upon our arrival on Thursday, however, we were having such a nice trip that we asked to "upgrade" our room for that night to the "newer" motel that sits above the general store right across the street from the seneca rocks visitor's center. For about $35 more a night, you get one heckofa view and porch swings. The room was great; microwave, sink, mini-fridge. Well worth the money, plus you have the store and a great restaraunt right next door.

No complaints so far.

However, on our return trip, we were dog-tired having ridden in the heat for several days, and we timed our ride so we'd get to the motel with just enough energy to eat dinner, have a few drinks, and get some shuteye. Well, long story short there was a "mixup" and they'd had us written in for Thursday and Friday, despite the fact that I'd asked no less than three times if we were confirmed for Thursday and Saturday. Friday was never mentioned, but since we hadn't "shown up" on Friday, our room for Saturday was given away.

So there we were, at dusk, tired as all getout, and we had to find another room (which we did thanks to my brother-in-law's iPhone), and had to ride another hour plus at the time of day when lots of wildlife like to cross in front of you.

I was extremely upset, but there was little we could do as the owner is an elderly woman...can't exactly start yelling and screaming, you know?

So my advise to you is to make reservations to stay at the "newer" location, and make them with someone who is not a senior citizen. I have zero complaints about our stay the first night, but dealing with the older location was a disaster.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank macwagen
Reviewed October 13, 2009

We had a outdoors adventure group of 9 people (2 girls/7guys) who came to Seneca Rocks to hike, rock climb, horseback ride and go caving. We all had a blast.

We stayed in the bunkhouse as an alternative to camping as the weather was calling for rain and low temperatures. The bunkhouse was fine. Yes it was dusty. Yes you have to bring your own linens or a sleeping bag. Yes you have wood heat instead of electric.

The location was great and there was a view of Seneca Rocks (intersection of 28 and 33) right from the campground. This is a basic car campground with a few cheap lodging alternatives like bunkhouses and tepees. If you wanted a 4 star hote, stay downtown.

I've never stayed in the cabins or the hotel rooms so I can't comment on them.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Davis
Park Motel
Park Motel
#2 of 2 in Petersburg

Been to Yokum's Vacationland? Share your experiences!