“The good and the not so good...”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Seneca Rocks
Yokum's Vacationland
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Seneca Rocks
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed in one of the Yokum's cabins for one night. I believe we had cabin number #1, but I am not 100% sure.

The good:
The view from the front of our cabin is about as good as it gets. It is a perfect view of Seneca Rocks. Not too shabby to sit in the hot tub and have that kind of view.
The cabin has lots of beds and could probably sleep at least 8 to 10 people.
Cabin was clean and looked really nice and rustic.
Hot tub was great.

The bad:
Water pressure was terrible. After about 10 minutes in the shower the water just starting trickling out of the shower head. This is not helpful when you have several people wanting to take a shower back to back.
Not enough furniture. In the living room you have one sofa and a kitchen table. That's it.
You can hear everything inside this cabin. We were in one of the bedrooms with the door shut and we could clearly hear our friends upstairs walking and talking - as if they were right outside our door. Not conducive for sleeping.

We paid $225.00 for one night. That was 4 adults and 2 children. The view is great and there is plenty of fun outdoorsy things to do in the area, but some of the drawbacks that I listed above kind of doesn't make the price worth it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Cathy R
There are newer reviews for Yokum's Vacationland

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Needed lodging for 4 while participating in a long weekend trail run race at Spruce Knob (Mt. Retreat). Yokums has 4 log cabins 1/2 mile down the road from the motel (near their restaurant). The cabins were rustic, but exactly as expected. They are not in AAA shape, but we did not expect that. They had everything you would need, with the added bonus of a very clean and large hot tub. These cabins have 2 bedrooms as well as an open loft area with 4 beds. They are priced reasonably and you will enjoy!

Room Tip: Cabin 3 is a little more private
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank JimOKelly
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I planned to stay here with my wife and 2 year old toddler because we needed to be close to Seneca rocks, it was too cold to camp, and all the rooms above the store were booked. I was fully expecting the worst, but was pleasantly surprised. The photos in the prior review are about right. There are rust stains in the sink / bathtub, for some unknown reason the toilet water pressure is very low and it takes a few minutes to fill (but worked just fine), the TV is very old (again works, and I don't even care if they have one), there were two fly traps (sticky kind) hanging from the ceiling, and some holes in the screen and wall were stuffed with toilette paper. However, the room did not smell like mold or smoke, and it was somewhat clean. The rust stains are from the water and embedded into the sink such that the sink feels smooth and the stain does not rub off. We brought all our own water to drink and brush our teeth with. The heat worked fine, though you couldn't control it (central boiler) and it was a bit hot in the room while only 30 out at night. The linens were clean, though old. We brought sheets and pillows but decided the ones there were ok to use and didn't use ours. I ignored the old AC unit in the closet. So it really depends on your tolerance, but we stayed 3 nights and had no problem. There were many other people at the hotel, and I didn't notice anyone else complain. My tolerance limit is smell, and I'd much rather stay here than a hotel I stayed in at Los Alamos that was a major chain, but stank of cigarette smoke. This room did not smell, and the bathroom was fairly clean. No signs of bugs, bed bugs, or other unwanted creatures.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Reid G
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I second the review of Melissa K - if you're looking for a 5-star resort/spa experience, then go to one. In fact, there is one down the road at some local caverns that looks much nicer, and also much more expensive. We stayed 2 nights in a room above the general store & we thought when we first saw it that we'd made a mistake. The room was right across from a busy intersection, had a porch/balcony with a community bench right outside our window, & there was a lot of truck traffic whizzing by. On the other hand, the bathroom was cleaner than any I've seen in a Ramada or Holiday Inn & the rest of the room was clean enough. A bit dark, but then again most motel rooms are too stingy with lighting for me for me. The heater/AC unit was a little noisy but we didn't need it & I could have tolerated it if we did need it. The truck traffic completely disappeared fairly early in the evening, so that turned out to be a complete non-issue. Most of the people connected with Yokum's were very pleasant, with one exception who was just kind of "there." This is a basic, relatively cheap (for a recreation area) motel that caters to young rock climbers (it is at Seneca Rocks, after all!) and people in the area to enjoy the winding country roads. It's very motorcycle friendly.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jumpmaster0_1
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Motorcycle ride to Seneca Rocks, stayed in Cabin #21. Planned to stay 2 days. Openned the cabin door and greeted by many spider webs. Took minutes for the tap water to turn from brown to clear. The bed sheets had mold on them with handprints. We decided the handprints were from the maid, she may have had "cleaner" on her hands so the mold did not grow there. Sofa was small, loveseat size, no lamps ANYWHERE, only overhead lights, no chairs except ladder back in the kitchen, no bedside tables. Beautiful view from the balcony, but NO CHAIRS out there to enjoy the view!. We got sick from the mold and were scared to stay a 2nd night. They refunded our 2nd night.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MCSP8
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed at the Yokum's Vacationland Motel and have never been more repulsed in my life!!! I needed a place to crash for the night and this was the only thing around. I would have rather driven 60 miles than stayed at this place but I had already paid cash before I saw the room.
Right when I entered the room a very strong musty/stale smell hit me. I stopped dead in my tracks and wanted to run back out. The tv mounted on the wall was a 1970 Zenith with a turn dial and knobs missing. It did work, but not well. When I went into the bathroom the first thing I noticed were the very large and dark rust stains in the sink and bath tub. The towels were paper thin, scratchy and mismatched (like the ones you dig out of the VERY bottom of your closet when you have guests over and can't find anything else). Then I looked in the small closet - there was an old, assumingly not working, air conditioning unit sitting in the bottom of the closet. Really? You can't take that out before the guest arrives? The working air conditioner that was in the window was practically falling out and was held in by duct tape! Yes, duct tape! At least it was working. There was no telephone in the room and not even an end table. Just a bed and a very old desk with knobs missing off of the drawers. In that area there is no cell phone reception and of course no wi-fi so I could not have contacted anybody even in an emergency. To top it all off, when I went to go back out to my car after checking in I noticed a HUGE mosquito that had been squashed and smeared along the wall right next to the door and not cleaned off. I have never been so disgusted in my life!!!! I slept on top of the covers because I was scared to look in the bed, I wore sandals in the shower and I used a t-shirt to dry off after my shower because who knows what was on those towels.
DO NOT STAY HERE!! I REPEAT: DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!! (Pictures to follow)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
9  Thank Melissa K
Reviewed September 1, 2012

If you are wanting all the accomadations of a 5 star Resort... Then book your vacation at a 5 star Resort. These are the Mountains of West Virginia. The scenery is beautiful and Yokum's loding is quaint, rustic, and humble. Some of these reviews are just silly, exaggerated in my opinion. We stayed in the Kitchenette rooms above the store & these rooms are outstanding! The General Store staff was very friendly and helpful, & our stay was excellent. We have stayed in the campgrounds in previous years, and it is what it is, a campground. In any campground in any part of the country, you will have campers who consume alcohol, that doesn't mean you are a redneck, rather that you are on vacation, away from your normal everyday life, relaxing, and maybe enjoying a drink or two. The locals in the area are not catagorized as rednecks in my opinion & to make such an assumption makes you look like a bigot. For the most part the locals I have come in contact with are good hearted, down to earth, friendly people. And yes, if you offend somebody by making such assumptions, they are likely to get rude or defensive. That is human nature after all. To display such prejudice is ridiculous! The businesses as well as most of the locals in this area get their water supplies from wells, which sometimes means there is sulfur, cacium, ect. present in the water, which sometimes causes a discoloration. It does not mean that it is in any way unsafe. All businesses in operation require a quarterly water test. Seneca Rocks is in the Mountains, surrounded by National Forrest... The forrest in inhabited by animals, rodents, spiders, bugs, ect. Therefore a little bit of the forrest life is bound to eventually find it's way indoors... Such as mice, and spiders, it's just the way it is. To throw a fit about a sider web or spider, mouse, what have you is a little humorous. Seriously people, if you can't handle being in the country, stay in the city!

Room Tip: Kitchenettes above the General Store are the most modernized rooms. They are extremely clean, comfor...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
#2 of 7 in Davis
Park Motel
Park Motel
#2 of 2 in Petersburg

Been to Yokum's Vacationland? Share your experiences!