“DISGUSTING!!!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Seneca Rocks
Yokum's Vacationland
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Seneca Rocks
Bellingham, Washington
“DISGUSTING!!!!”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed at the Yokum's Vacationland Motel and have never been more repulsed in my life!!! I needed a place to crash for the night and this was the only thing around. I would have rather driven 60 miles than stayed at this place but I had already paid cash before I saw the room.
Right when I entered the room a very strong musty/stale smell hit me. I stopped dead in my tracks and wanted to run back out. The tv mounted on the wall was a 1970 Zenith with a turn dial and knobs missing. It did work, but not well. When I went into the bathroom the first thing I noticed were the very large and dark rust stains in the sink and bath tub. The towels were paper thin, scratchy and mismatched (like the ones you dig out of the VERY bottom of your closet when you have guests over and can't find anything else). Then I looked in the small closet - there was an old, assumingly not working, air conditioning unit sitting in the bottom of the closet. Really? You can't take that out before the guest arrives? The working air conditioner that was in the window was practically falling out and was held in by duct tape! Yes, duct tape! At least it was working. There was no telephone in the room and not even an end table. Just a bed and a very old desk with knobs missing off of the drawers. In that area there is no cell phone reception and of course no wi-fi so I could not have contacted anybody even in an emergency. To top it all off, when I went to go back out to my car after checking in I noticed a HUGE mosquito that had been squashed and smeared along the wall right next to the door and not cleaned off. I have never been so disgusted in my life!!!! I slept on top of the covers because I was scared to look in the bed, I wore sandals in the shower and I used a t-shirt to dry off after my shower because who knows what was on those towels.
DO NOT STAY HERE!! I REPEAT: DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!! (Pictures to follow)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
9 Thank Melissa K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Parkersburg, West Virginia
Reviewed September 1, 2012

If you are wanting all the accomadations of a 5 star Resort... Then book your vacation at a 5 star Resort. These are the Mountains of West Virginia. The scenery is beautiful and Yokum's loding is quaint, rustic, and humble. Some of these reviews are just silly, exaggerated in my opinion. We stayed in the Kitchenette rooms above the store & these rooms are outstanding! The General Store staff was very friendly and helpful, & our stay was excellent. We have stayed in the campgrounds in previous years, and it is what it is, a campground. In any campground in any part of the country, you will have campers who consume alcohol, that doesn't mean you are a redneck, rather that you are on vacation, away from your normal everyday life, relaxing, and maybe enjoying a drink or two. The locals in the area are not catagorized as rednecks in my opinion & to make such an assumption makes you look like a bigot. For the most part the locals I have come in contact with are good hearted, down to earth, friendly people. And yes, if you offend somebody by making such assumptions, they are likely to get rude or defensive. That is human nature after all. To display such prejudice is ridiculous! The businesses as well as most of the locals in this area get their water supplies from wells, which sometimes means there is sulfur, cacium, ect. present in the water, which sometimes causes a discoloration. It does not mean that it is in any way unsafe. All businesses in operation require a quarterly water test. Seneca Rocks is in the Mountains, surrounded by National Forrest... The forrest in inhabited by animals, rodents, spiders, bugs, ect. Therefore a little bit of the forrest life is bound to eventually find it's way indoors... Such as mice, and spiders, it's just the way it is. To throw a fit about a sider web or spider, mouse, what have you is a little humorous. Seriously people, if you can't handle being in the country, stay in the city!

Room Tip: Kitchenettes above the General Store are the most modernized rooms. They are extremely clean, comfor...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lauren D
Youngstown, Ohio
Reviewed August 5, 2012

My boyfriend and I, along with another couple, spent the night at a Yokum's cabin. The scenery was beautiful with a view of Seneca Rocks.
The cabin itself, however, was in shambles. Conditions were absolutely disgusting, unclean, and unsanitary. We could overlook small things such as the empty beer cans littered about the area behind the cabin, but the tap water came out of the faucet brown and smelly and we were afraid to use the water for anything.

This place was so so gross. The couch had "stains" all over it and nobody in my party wanted to sit down. The bathroom was dingy, dirty and gave me the creeps. When we turned on the brown water in the kitchen sink, it leaked out under the sink into a stream that ran across the floor. The television looked as if it had been picked up from the side of the road and only got about 3 channels. One of the lamps did not work. The knob was broken off and there was no way to turn it on. Also, the bulb was burnt out in one of the bedrooms-no light at all in there.

But enough about the cabin, lets talk about the staff. We spent the evening around a campfire in front of the cabin. A group of beer drinkers nearby came over and introduced themselves. We were not too astonished to learn that these loud, beer guzzling rednecks were part of the Yokum's clan. We all felt a little more than mildly uncomfortable as they kept talking to me and the other female in our party. They asked us strange questions to the point that we excused ourselves for the night and went inside the disgusting cabin where we felt like prisoners-but at least prisoners have clear water, sanitary facilities, and cable TV.

The next morning we went to the office to check out and discuss our concerns. The staff was extremely unreceptive and even combative. They insinuated that myself and the other female in our party encouraged such inappropriate advances from the drunken Yokum family members because of the way we looked-we most certainly did not. The conversation ended with them telling us that if we had a problem with "the boys" we should take it up with them ourselves.

As for a refund, don't even think about it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank R M
Springfield, Virginia
Reviewed June 13, 2012

we stayed at the Indian camp ground love it an scenery area but all the crap u have to put up with about havin ur sticker card in car window an receipt where up paid for. we was enjoying our camp fire then all at once which was late-late at nite the owners grandson an friend came around drunk an demand to seen them which they could see my sticker card in my windsheld an camper window but still made a butt out ot their self. which i dont take it very nice. that made twice i was checked in the weekend once should have been enough. I have been going there for the past 5 yrs an never have had this kind of problem. Also it really needs maintance done to shower houses an bathrooms which is nasty. I wouldn't recommend anyone goin to that campground at all.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank krazy69
pa
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I have been going to the Seneca Roks area since I was a little girl. When I got married in 2010 my husband and I went there for our honeymoon. In 2011 we returned with another couple and stayed at Yocum's. It was great! The rooms were nice and the price was great. It is nothing fancy but if you want to escape reality for awhile I highly suggest it. This year we are returing with two more couples and renting a cabin. I can't wait! Anyone that complains about the place, the people or the service is crazy. It is a nice family run place that isn't concerned about being a resort. If you want that then you need to go somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank rach w
New Market, Virginia
Reviewed May 7, 2012

avoid this place!!!! we had a cabin for the weekend, run down outdated. during a rain we used every towel advailable to stop the water at the door,it leaked through the bottom of the door ran in from over top of the door,and leaked from the ceiling all arornd the door, relatives next door only had electric in two rooms. people urstairs door leaked like ours, ceiling leaked on the tv. the pavillions were dirty,WE had to clean them before we could use them. teepees uninhabital,large crack under door,exposed insulation,broken ceiling fan hanging. OVERPRICED for what you get .don't believe what they tell you on the phone,or what you see in the website.

Room Tip: the three new cabins are better but at $200 plus a day???
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank jim t
Mount Jackson, Virginia
Reviewed May 6, 2012

We booked a family reunion there,we had family book cabins,hotel rooms,kitchennettes,bunk houses and we also booked a pallivon for the reunion, when we got there we where charge more then what some of us where told on the phone and,and when we get to the cabin that my family rented for us to stay in it was just ok, we also rented a tepee and it was nasty the door did not reach to the bottom of the floor and the ceiling fan was broke and there was insulation that was just hanging out of the ceiling,there where bees nest in there, and we went back and told them that the ones that where going to stay in there where not staying in there they added them to the cabin in which we stayed in, other family memebers that had gotten one of the kitchenette because they where told it had internet acess but you had to pay for it,the water in the cabins was yellow and brown and stunk very bad,one of the family members went to fill up there hot tub that evening and the water was brown,the grass in some areas was ankle high even had family that had to pull weeds just to get into there cabin and we where told it is because they have not really started there matience of the place yet because there season really don't kick off until later in the month, when we went to find out what pallivon we had they said we could chose what ever one we wanted well we went and looked at them we decided to get the one that the big bbq grill in it,but it olny had 3 tables in it and it looked like someone was camping in it clothes hanging from one side to the next trash every where, so we went back and told them what one we wanted and that there was somethere and that there was no pinic tables their response was that the people should be gone by moring so we said ok and when we asked about the pinic tables they said if we had a truck just to go find our own and when we told them that we did not have a truck they said well we will see if we can get some gathered up for you but they never did. the blankts where itchy and rough in the cabins,and when we got the next moring to get things set up we went up to the pallivon we where so post to get and the people where still there it was nasty beer bottles and trash everywhere no more pinic tables where add,so we went and asked if we could move to the other one and they said yes,we ended having to sweep it out of leaves and trash and even womans underwear and when asked if someone was going to come and do tables we where told just to go to camper sites that did not have campers in it and take them and use them there was just one trash can for the pallivon and we had to share it with the cabins and camp sites that where near, the hotel rooms some of my family said where nasty and they were not even ready for them when the got there, and after all that it started to rain really hard and come to find out that my cabin leaked while it rained.You would thought when we told them we where coming that they would have had everything ready and cleaned for us. My family was happy together and we plan on doing it next year just not there!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Isaac Jackson Hotel
#2 of 8 in Elkins
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Elkins
Blackwater Falls State Park Lodge

Been to Yokum's Vacationland? Share your experiences!