“More Than Meets the Eye”
Review of Front Porch

Front Porch
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Situated above Harper's General Store near the main road intersection at Seneca Rocks, this restaurant could best be described as unassuming or quaint. Rustic and sparsely appointed but with balcony seating (the "front porch") offering a beautiful view of the hills, we expected little more than basic family diner fare. To our surprise, the menu, though not excessively large, offered a nice variety of selections. We opted for the large fresh dough pizza with Italian sausage, onions and sweet peppers. The crust had a classic hand-tossed texture, but not excessively thick and with a crisp, greaseless bottom. The toppings were plentiful with excellent flavor. Most unique were the sweet peppers, which were pickled and lent a unique quality to the pie. This pizza was better than most we've had traveling in much larger cities, so it was quite a revelation to find it in small town West Virginia. The service was prompt and pleasant, and the scenery was extraordinary. The restaurant does not serve alcohol but allows carry-in, and Harper's carries a wide choice of beers on the first floor. We will absolutely return to the Front Porch when we next visit the area.

There are newer reviews for Front Porch

Reviewed June 9, 2013

It is by no means a fancy place and I will be honest and say from the looks of the place I didn't expect much! But I was quite pleased, the service was good and the food was delicious. I had spaghetti and meatballs, usually not much of a meatball person but they were good and the garlic bread was good also. My boyfriend had an italian hoagie as well which was good. Didn't have the pizza but it looked and smelled delicious and there is indoor and outdoor seating and if you sit outdoors then you have a great view! I would definitely go back!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Front Porch is obviously one of very few places to eat in and around Seneca Falls, so I understand that you have to take what you can get. The biggest problem we had was the service as we went into the restaurant. We were a party of 4 adults, 1 child and a baby. As we entered the restaurant we saw a table with 4 chairs - it was kind of crowed so we were headed to that table when a man (owner/waiter?) looked at our party and made an exasperated comment about how we cannot sit there and we cannot borrow another chair for the table. Well needless to say we did it anyways since there was nowhere else to sit. It worked out fine in the end, but the man was quite rude to us. Our waitress was much nicer, but seemed overwhelmed also, the food came out slow. That being said though, the food was delicious and in my opinion very cheap! So it was kind of a mixed bag. Maybe the gentleman was flustered due to the fact that they were so crowded. Either way if you are in the area, give it a try.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Reading through previous reviews, I think the main problem here is expectations.

Those who enjoy the rustic feel of the place, with its quirky décor—including old lumbering implements—should be quite happy here. There is dining out on the front porch, with a beautiful view of Seneca Rocks, and indoor dining, if the weather is not as cooperative.

Those who are hoping for a white tablecloth dining experience should go elsewhere.

This is a small café on top of a General Store that dates back to 1902. (Store, not restaurant.) They have a small menu, but what they serve is very good for a small café.

Our party ordered a pizza, a Rueben, and a Hot Italian Sub. All were served quickly, and every member of our party was pleased with what they got. I have been in many eateries—some with the word “deli” attached to their name, where the concept of a Rueben was misunderstood, or poorly executed. Front Porch delivered an almost perfect Rueben. Just the right amount of sauerkraut and meat, just the right amount of dressing. Bread, thankfully not soggy or greasy.

Pizza is made with “fresh dough” which disappeared with alarming speed.

My only comment for an improvement—the side for both sandwiches was potato chips. It would be a wonderful thing if a homestyle restaurant could produce for a side something homey yet hot. Home fries, a baked potato, sweet potato curls.

After our meal, we moved on to dessert. Two orders of chocolate meringue pie and a freshly made apple dumpling with cinnamon sauce. Really delightful.

The total for our party—three entrees, three drinks (with refills) and three desserts--$35.00.

We would be happy to return.

1  Thank LauraRW
Reviewed August 20, 2012

On Saturday we saw the Front Porch's outdoor seating on the balcony and decided to eat there. I had a turkey Reuben that ranked very high on my Reuben Quality Scale - the bread was good, toasted and not at all soggy, there was a excellent balance of dressing, kraut and meat. My husband liked his chicken sandwich, although he said the middle was cold. (He didn't ask for it to be heated, however.) The view of Seneca Rocks is terrific! Later, on Monday, we returned to Seneca Rocks again to hike. After hiking up to the rocks and back, we ate again at the Front Porch. Again my turkey Reuben was excellent, and this time my husband ordered hotdogs with chili - he said the chili was great. Next time we go to the Monongahela NF, we'll definitely return to the Front Porch!

Been to Front Porch? Share your experiences!