“Beautiful Place to Stay”
Review of Stonewall Resort

Stonewall Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Roanoke
Reviewed March 17, 2007

We stayed here to go to a teacher workshop in Flatwoods, WV (about 30 minutes south). This is the 3rd time we have done this. The price was reasonable. We had a coupon from staying before and saved about $20 each night. The rack rate is $109. Not too outrageous. The breakfast buffet is great. The dinner buffet is $25.95 which we thought was expensive so we didn't eat it. We ordered off the menu one night- just burgers and fries and that was about $10. And it wasn't like it was really great food. Just food. But the nearest nicer sit down restaurants are in clarksburg (30 minutes north). Weston is only 10 minutes away with fast food and a family type steakhouse. If you don't mind some rednecks, the buffet is good. (We fit right in.)
The room was nice, the people are friendly, and the pool is clean and warm. The outdoor setting is beautiful. We haven't ever been able to enjoy it because it is always raining when we are there. We want to visit in the summer to enjoy the lake and the park.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank luv2swimwv
There are newer reviews for Stonewall Resort

Reviewed March 5, 2007

A collegue and I stayed here for a weekend conference. The price was more than I ever paid for a hotel in my life. We had a room with twin beds and paid $360 each for the room for two nights and that was with a discounted price for the conference.

The outside of the lodge, grounds, and lobby are breathtaking. I wish I could say the same for our very expensive hotel room. It was just average and the shower had very little water pressure. Everytime we went to the spa for a treatment, we were told that there were no openings. They took our name and did call us to tell us they had a cancellation, but it was during the conference. Coudn't even get a pedicure or a 30-minute massage.

The breakfast buffet was outstanding, with a great selection. The very pricey dinner we had was not at all good. My food was served cold. I would hesitate before I stayed here again.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank EDNurse
Reviewed February 14, 2007

Attended a dinner dance at the resort in September of 2006.
The food was very good. Visited the spa a couple times
and it was wonderful, staff was very nice. Be sure to
try the food and the golfcourse it was great. Would highly
recommend to anyone for a weekend getaway. The pool
areas are clean and they have a firepit that is nice to sit
around on cool evenings. We are going back in the spring
and I can't wait.

• Stayed: February 2007
1  Thank OH-IO1
Reviewed October 22, 2006

We had heard there was a nice place to stay in the middle of nowhere, WV, so we had to give it a try! Wow, are we glad we did! We spent three nights at the lodge and left wishing we had 3-4 more.

Starting with our arrival: We weren't out of the car 5 seconds when the bellman greeted us and asked to help with our luggage. He packed the bags (9 total and a cooler) for my wife, three kids under 7 and me, and waited as we checked in. He then escorted us to our room and unpacked everything nice and orderly, making sure to point out the closets and asking if he could help place the bags in particular places in the room.

Front Desk/Check-In: The staff was helpful and accomodating. We were at the desk no more than 3-4 minutes and they even secured dinner reservations for us. They smiled and were very friendly.

Now for the room: We booked a double suite, meaning two rooms together, but one was a nice king bed room and the other had a dining area, kitchenette, living area and another large bathroom with whirlpool bath. High Speed Internet in the room and a wide range of cable TV channels. But who watches TV at a place like this? The room was perfectly clean and set up for our stay. We looked for a fault in cleanliness but could not find it. They even high dusted the armoire! Gilcrest & Soames amenities in the bathroom, which are our favorite! Wonderful view of the lake and "back yard" from our windows.

The pool: The kids couldn't get enough! Half indoor, half outdoor with an indoor hot tub and an outdoor hot tub. Saturday night they even played a movie for the kids on the wall through an LCD projector. Tons of towels (we always use a bunch! Some resorts never have enough towels!). The pool was heated, so it was fun swimming in 40 degree weather! Men's and women's locker rooms are nice and have super nice saunas in each. They both had steamrooms, but I couldn't figure out how to use them. They need instructions!

Food: OK, we couldn't have it all perfect. But, the food was NOT bad! Stillwater Restaurant was very good. It was packed, too, with a convention going on. So I am sure the kitchen staff was running on overload. But my filet mignon was delicious. My wife had the best dish, which was their chicken specialty, though I don't remember the name. The service was just right. Lightburn's on the clubhouse was excellent. The angus burger hit the spot and my wife LOVED the turkey wrap. Service here was just OK. Nothing exceptional. We ordered appetizers Saturday evening in TJ Muskies (bar, sitting area, pool table, etc.) and they were all slightly over cooked. That was the only bad food experience. The food was pricy, but I have yet to find a quality resort (we have stayed at several) where we have said, "Wow, the food is affordable here." It's a resort, people.

The Marina: We took a pontoon boat out for a couple of hours and toured the lake. It was a lot of fun. The marina staff had it ready for us and made sure we had all the fishing supplies and bait we needed. The carp by the dock were bigger than my 7-year old! Whoa! Be sure to feed them dog food!

Valet Service: Excellent. Retrieved and secured our vehicle at a moment's notice several times.

Gift Shops/Stores: Very nice selections. We bought three t-shirts, a shirt/jacket ensemble, and a sweatshirt. Quality clothing.

Spa: My wife LOVED her 50-minute massage. Very relaxing, she said. The spa was very nice inside.

What would I like to see?

More snack/appetizer choices, especially later in the evening.

Resort Rascals was done for the season. The place was packed with kids the weekend, though. Maybe a Saturday edition in the late summer/fall months?

Put some tress or something up so that I don't see the "back of the house" when walking up to the front from the parking area. The employees smoking out back (in their smoking area) and the back dock in general should be hidden a little better, though the area was clean and orderly.

Summary: I can't say any better how much I recommend this resort. My whole family loved it. We have been at beach resorts, big city resorts, Disney resorts, etc. and Stonewall is right there with them, if not better than most. But this place was so quiet, so relaxing, full of fresh air and beautiful scenery all around. The stay was well worth the cost. We will be looking to return in the spring... with bells on!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
5  Thank Fab_Fam_of_5
Reviewed October 8, 2006

If I went into everything that went wrong at Stonewall, I would be here for an hour. Some of the lowest points? When we arrived, the pack 'n play we requested for our son was not set up and on the front porch of our cottage. Did I say it was raining and the p&p was soaked???? The smoke detector was beeping, Starbucks never seemed to be open, ALL meals and service at the Lodge were terrible and expensive. We found out on the day we left that they had a childrens menu and that our 2-year-old's meals were free. At breakfast all our waitress did was complain about having to work and the pregnant waitress's attitude--TMI!!! The only saving grace was Lightburn's restaurant at the golf course and they are only open a few months out of a year. Also, the pool was very nice. With all of the other options, I would not choose to go to Stonewall again, but after telling them about all the problems--that just seemed to continue happening all weekend--they sent us a gift certificate for a 2 night stay in the lodge, asking us to try them again. It did not exactly replace our weekend, as it had been ruined, and it is for a stay in the lodge, not the cottage where we were originally. We have decided to use the coupon and try again in a few weeks. I must admit, I was hoping to read some good reviews when I checked back here, but wasn't so forunate. It really is a shame. It is exceptionally beautiful there. Our cottage on the lake was wonderful--other than no maid service--and the scenery is breath-taking. It could truly be something. I will let you all know how it goes. Keeping my fingers crossed.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2006

Just spent the weekend at Stonewall Resort with my 83 year old mother and my sister. My sister and I were giving my mother a break from taking care of our 88 year old father. We really loved the resort and if you totally understand that this is a STATE PARK and not a 5 star luxury resort, you will not be disappointed. The rooms are standard hotel rooms, nothing really fancy but they were clean and the cleaning staff was very attentive to our needs. The lobby is very pretty, comfortable and in the Craftsman style - lots of exposed beams, misson style furniture, etc. We ate breakfast and dinner at the Stillwaters Restaurant and although a little pricey, the food was good. There are breakfast and lunch buffets everyday but there is a limited number of items you can choose from the menu. The customer service at the restaurant was absolutely fantastic and we were treated really wonderfully. The first night there my mother did not enjoy her entree and the manager immediately took the cost off the bill and then gave us complimentary desserts. The staff at the spa was very nice as well and really took good care of my mother. The outdoor pool and the indoor pool connect and it is very nice and clean. There is a volleyball net, horseshoe pit, jungle gym thing for the kids. In the evenings they burn logs in an outdoor firepit and everyone sits around the fire and they provide a s'mores kit for the kids. We rode on The Little Sorell cruise boat for a tour around the lake. They provide free snacks but there is a pretty steep cost for the beverages. I would suggest you bring your own water. The tour was about an hour and a half and you see a lot of wildlife but nothing much else. It is very relaxing. The resort is really nice if you want to get away for a relaxing weekend. And if you have older kids you can rent water equipment and hike, but I would think you would be hard-pressed to find something for younger kids to do other than swim. Pros - the customer service. Cons - not enough food choices and the cost. All of the menus are on the website. Overall, I would recommend this place highly!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank BeachBoomer
Reviewed August 25, 2006

Stayed: August 2006
1  Thank rolyn123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roanoke
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Weston
#2 of 7 in Buckhannon
Hilton Garden Inn
Hilton Garden Inn
#1 of 3 in Clarksburg

Been to Stonewall Resort? Share your experiences!