“Nice resort tucked away in the beautiful hills of north central West Virginia”
Review of Stonewall Resort

Stonewall Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Roanoke
WV
“Nice resort tucked away in the beautiful hills of north central West Virginia”
Reviewed May 23, 2009

I recently attended a wedding at the Stonewall Resort and left for the most part impressed.
We decided to go ahead and book a room at the resort to avoid any DUIs after celebrating a friend's wedding. Got a rate of $127.99 online which ended up being a little over $150 after taxes and a "resort fee" was added. We didn't get a chance to take advantage of many of the amenities included in the resort fee due to the short length of our stay. The resort is actually located inside a state park. We stopped at a guard house and told the employee inside we were attending a wedding and she directed us to the lodge. The entrance to the lodge is a walk from the parking lot so if you have substantial luggage you may want to use the valet parking (no charge except for a tip).
Check in was uneventful, we stowed our luggage in the room. While the lodge itself is very nice with a very tasteful rustic look, the rooms seemed to be very average. They were clean but unremarkable. The room we booked had a king sized bed and a couch with a small desk also. Wifi is provided at no charge and I had no problems connecting with my iPod Touch. When I made my reservation online, I had asked for a room both overlooking the lake and close to the wedding location and I feel they accommodated me on both counts. The evening wedding and reception were held outside on the ground floor terrace. The weather was beautiful, the staff was great and we had a good time. After the reception ended, the majority of the attendees headed to the hotel bar, TJ Muskies. Once again the staff was great. There is a pool table and a mid-room fireplace. The big hit of the evening was a large firepit area outside on the bar patio. The staff already had a nice fire going when we arrived and there is a ton of seating around it. We headed back up to the room around 1 AM. The bed was comfortable but the one problem I had with the visit was the bedding, the sheets were horrible. It was like sleeping on butcher paper. There was no comforter provided and the only blanket was cheap and plastic feeling. Considering this is a AAA four diamond rated establishment, I expected the bedding to be a bit higher quality.
Check out in the morning was also uneventful, the staff was very cordial.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank JDL920

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Wexford, PA
Reviewed March 21, 2009

The accomodations at Stonewall Resort leave a great deal to be desired. How this place qualifies for AAA four diamond status is a true mystery for my wife and I, and has left us quite distrusting of the AAA rankings. We stayed at a two diamond rated Hampton Inn and Suites in the Columbus, OH area the weekend after our stay at Stonewall Resort, and the Hampton property blew this place away in terms of quality of accomodations. At Stonewall, the accomodations were worn and outdated and, maybe worst of all, the beds were very uncomfortable. The coup de grace is that a maintenance worker accidentally set off the fire alarm in the middle of the night during the second night of our stay. To the credit of the Stonewall management, we were refunded the cost of our second night's stay upon request. This place is in a beautiful environment with a lake and what looks like an excellent golf course...it's a shame the accomodations are so second rate.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael S
Salem, VA
Reviewed March 2, 2009

My best friend and I stayed at Stonewall Resort from Friday, February 27, 2009 to Sunday, March 1, 2009 for a girlfriends’ getaway. We booked the “Bedlam in the Asylum” package using their website and added an extra night. The package included tickets to the murder-mystery dinner event on Saturday night. I received multiple emails confirming the reservation and providing information about the property. Since we had never been to the resort or to a murder-mystery dinner, I called the resort to ask a few questions. A friendly and courteous employee named Tracy answered all of my questions. She also gave me some great activity suggestions in the event that our planned hike for Saturday morning would be affected by inclement weather.
We checked in Friday evening without any problems. There was valet parking available, which we did not use. The lobby was gorgeous – complete with a roaring fire and cozy, Adirondack style furniture. Upon arriving to our room, I was a little disappointed to see a big bleach stain on the carpet in the entryway. The room had a nice bathroom and a second vanity area all with granite countertops. The beds were comfortable but the sheets were so starched that every time either of us moved the other heard the sheets crinkling. We laughed about throughout the weekend. Housekeeping does a nice job keeping the property immaculate. I even checked the corners of the room and there wasn’t a dust bunny in sight.
After unpacking, we enjoyed a casual dinner at TJ Muskies, the property’s lounge. The food was delicious and reasonably priced. We carried our drinks up to the lobby and relaxed in front of the fire.
Saturday morning was very cold and windy so our hike was cut short. We got in a great workout at the fitness center. It was much better equipped than most hotel fitness centers. There were three or four cardio machines (treadmills and stair climbers) as well as nautilus equipment and free weights. We also took advantage of the sauna, steam room, hot tub and indoor pool. We considered making an appointment at the on-site spa but the prices were a bit too high for our budget. Instead, we made a trip to the Fiesta Ware outlet, which was about 25 miles from the resort (right where the front desk clerk told me it would be).
The murder mystery dinner was a lot of fun. The event started in the lobby with the characters mingling among the crowd and providing clues. Dinner was held in the ballroom. The food was acceptable but I wouldn’t rave about it. The show was interwoven throughout dinner. The “murder” occurred just as the meal concluded. Dessert was Bananas Foster served in the lobby. There were approximately 200 people in attendance so the lobby was quite crowded.
We slept late Sunday morning then headed down to Stillwaters for a delightful breakfast buffet. The waiter was friendly and did a nice job. In addition to the food on the buffet, there was an omelet station and Belgian waffle station. Throughout breakfast, we were planning our next visit to Stonewall Resort in the summer.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
West Virginia
Reviewed February 4, 2009

My husband wanted a quiet weekend away, before the arrival of our first child. We were met by very friendly check in staff. They notified us to make a reservation for breakfast the next morning. Something they forgot to do the last time we were there.
Shortly after we arrived we went to dinner at Stillwaters. We were expecting a quiet romantic dinner. That didn't quiet happen. A family was holding a child's birthday party at the same time. The children could not be more the 5 years old. They were running around the restaurant, hitting each other with balloons, yelling and screaming. They were out of control!! The parents were just as bad. When the children left the restaurant, they were talking so loud I swear they could be heard in the lobby upstairs. I realize they can not control who is shows up to eat, but it was not how we pictured our night out. Dinner was wonderful. We had the buffet. You could choose from chicken, prime rib, a sea food dish, pasta, 3 kinds of salad, soup, and potatoes. Then there are the desserts! 3 kinds of cheese cake, 2 kinds of pies, and cookies. We both ate way too much!!
The rest of the evening was spent in the room. We had the King Suite, over looking the lake. It was very nice. We both slept better then we had in a long time! Breakfast was great. The buffet had a pretty good selection. They are one of the few places that serves whole milk! It was a welcome surprise! Over all our weekend was wonderful. We were very relaxed.

• Liked — Room, food,
  • Disliked — loud people at resturant
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
ma
Reviewed October 24, 2008

Stayed here for two days in October and while it looks nice and is clean, I feel the staff could have been more attentive. When we arrived, no bellhop came to assist although they were in the lobby. The person checking us in mentioned a restaurant (Lightburns) on the hill that we had to walk to although a sign in the lobby said Shuttle Service provided.

Stillwater's was fair. The dinner buffet food looked and sounded good but was glorified cafe food - but a decent price at $23.

The breakfast buffet at Stillwater's was fair the first and much better the second day. Lightburns was better than Stillwater's but the shuttle folks seemed grumpy to have to drive anywhere.

Better off eating all your meals here as there is nothing in the area.

• Liked — Location was beautiful
  • Disliked — Details to Service
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Pasadena, Maryland
Reviewed September 24, 2008

I stayed here 1 night for a business conference. The grounds and surroundings were very nice. The man-made lake was peaceful and is surrounded by wooded forest of the state park.

The room was nicely sized and the king bed was very comfortable. The room also contained a sofa, working table with 2 chairs, coffee maker, hair dryer, and TV with video game options.There were 2 nicks/spots on the wall that needed repair; that was disappointing.

The conference rooms were "as expected" and the AV equipment worked well.

The short stay did not allow time to experience the indoor-outdoor pool, the golf course, or partake in the full service spa that is available.

The special "conference rate" made the room very reasonable and it was much nicer than staying at the other local lodging in nearby Weston.

• Liked — Peaceful surrounding of the state park.
  • Disliked — Overall layout of the room locations and the conference rooms was confusing.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Pittsburgh
Reviewed September 22, 2008

I just returned from a visit to Stonewall for the weekend. We rented a lakeside cottage, which was very nice and clean. If you like the outdoors, but do not like camping, etc., then I highly recommend staying in the cottages.
We rented a boat, which is a must if you ask me. The lake is huge - and the water is really clean and was still quite warm for September.
We also enjoyed biking around the resort and on the trails.
There are 3 restaurants, but we only made it to Stillwaters - once for breakfast and once for dinner. The food was very good and everything tasted extremely fresh. Service was slow, but I didn't mind that much since it went with the whole "rustic" vibe.
I also got a massage at the Spa. As far as massages go, it was average (but overpriced compared to what I pay in Pittsburgh).
Overall, we had a wonderful time.
My husband is very outdoorsy and although I like nature, I do not like "roughing it." This was the perfect weekend getaway for us!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sheeny
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roanoke
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Weston
#1 of 3 in Clarksburg
Hampton Inn Buckhannon
Hampton Inn Buckhannon
#2 of 7 in Buckhannon

Been to Stonewall Resort? Share your experiences!