“Pleasant Surprise”
Review of Stonewall Resort

Stonewall Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Roanoke
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We found Stonewall Resort as a half way point on our long drive from CT to KY. It was perfect for us and we plan on stoping there everytime we are in the area. An amazing resort with everything. Great food, great people. Connecting indoor/outdoor pool. Golf course. Bikes and bike trails.

Room Tip: With so much to do, you will most likely not spend too much time in your room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,246)

Reviewed April 26, 2014

Stonewall Resort is situated in a beautifully landscaped and natural setting with beautiful people running it. The guestrooms were comfortable, the meeting space was spacious and the restaurants and banquet food was fabulous. This property is perfect for meetings, social events and unique vacationing. I will definitely be back. LOVED the golf course.

1  Thank Happycamperrkj
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Was at this wonderful resort for a conference. Located in West Virginia, it's a two hour drive from Pittsburgh. Lovely setting. World class golf. But what sets it apart is its staff. To a person they were caring, kind, courteous, and enthusiastic. They clearly enjoy working there. Everywhere I went in the resort was always greeted with a warm smile and wonderful greeting. Made me feel like a VIP, despite just being a conference attendee. Kudos to management and the wonderful team assembled there.

Looking forward to returning some day.

Jim T.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

We have been to Stonewall twice over the past couple of years. Once in the fall when the leaves were just gorgeous and most recently this spring. On both occasions we had a wonderful relaxing time. It's a great place for kids. Lots of outdoor activities and not overly formal. I wouldn't stay more than 2 or3 days unless you are ok with repeating activities. Lots of trails to hike, biking,canoes, kayaks and swimming all for a flat $15 daily resort activity fee. They have a casual pub style restaurant and their main restaurant where you can either order a buffet meal or off of the menus. The breakfast buffet is tremendous . We did the dinner buffet and for the cost I was disappointed. Lots of variety but it just didn't do it for me. Next time I will order off of the menu.

There isn't much to do there in the evenings. They do have a fire pit where the kids can make s'mores ($10 for a kit that makes 4). I say bring your own ingredients. The pool is open until 11:00.; but that's it. We usually play cards in the lobby or go back to our room for TV time.

The spa is very nice. I've enjoyed time there on both visits but you do have to plan ahead and make appointments. My 14 year had a golf lesson with the golf pro for an hour for $25 which I felt was very reasonable. The pro was very kind, helpful and even went back to the clubhouse and typed up some notes for him to take home.

It was a great weekend. Would like to see it in the winter but am concerned that there wouldn't be enough to do since many of the outdoor activities would not be available. Highly recommend a visit. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Mia R
Reviewed April 23, 2014

While the lake and the golf course are the selling points the real asset of the resort is the excellent staff. We have stayed there many times and have never been disappointed. Everyone is very friendly and makes you feel welcome.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 23, 2014

First the bad news The spa The spa adds a 20% (no choice) tip That's too much since you go to the spa Horrible non service I went in they couldn't take (I wanted a 1/2 hour foot massage) which was fine I called later, the phone was NOT answered I went to the spa again, was told they could take me then. 4 minutes later she said it would be just over hour, I said no I wanted it now (I saw 3 spa people walking around the spa) Then it was 1/2 hour I repeated myself & left Why could they said yes at 1st then no?

The resort is GREAT Our king room was great The staff is one of the best. There is so much to do The pool is an indoor pool that also goes outside, in the winter the entire pool stays open to 11PM year round (they heat it to over 90 degrees in the winter) The resort is very clean Our room was reasonable the food is a little high, but it is a resort. Breakfast buffet is $14. but you will not be hungry till dinner They have bike & non motorized boats (free) tons of stuff for kids to do. We could NOT do everything we wanted to do in our 3 nights there I want to go back in the fall, my husband wants to go in the winter, so I guess that means spring, fall & winter stays for us
The gift shop prices seemed a little high, but they carried wonderful things for all ages
There is a campground for tents & trailers, there are also cabins available We are thinking instead of giving the grandkids toys at Christmas (they have many people who give them Christmas toys) to give the entire family a big certificate to Stonewall. From Zelienople Pa it is a 2 1/2/ hour drive from West Virginia it is 1 hour

Room Tip: If you like to swim ask for a room from 137 to 153 odd or even any floor so I guess that would be 23...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed at the Stonewall Resort while in the area on business. It is a very nice resort in a lovely setting. Our room was large and comfortable. The restaurant had both breakfast and dinner buffets that offered good food at very reasonable prices. The staff was very friendly and eager to help. We hope to take our granddaughters there this summer to enjoy all the fun things they have to offer at this fine resort.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roanoke
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Weston
#3 of 3 in Weston
Hilton Garden Inn
Hilton Garden Inn
#1 of 3 in Clarksburg

Been to Stonewall Resort? Share your experiences!