“Trying hard to live up to the resort title, but falls short”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Stonewall Resort

Stonewall Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Roanoke
Washington DC
“Trying hard to live up to the resort title, but falls short”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

This place opened 10 years ago this month, but the lodge's guest rooms are already showing signs of aging. Our King lake view room, while spacious, had multiple stains on the carpeting (not sure why they picked a lighter green color for the carpeting) and a SERIOUS fly problem. So much so that after killing more than a dozen flies buzzing around the window, I called the front desk. They sent an "engineer" up to the room while we were out. I'm not sure what he/she did, but it didn't solve anything. I'm not sure how these flies are getting in, but suspect it's due to cheaply built windows with gaps, holes in the ventilation, or both. Just because a resort is surrounded by wilderness, it doesn't mean that somehow having flies in the room is OK.

Flies notwithstanding, the view was beautiful, although it's a shame that none of the rooms have an outdoor balcony. The grounds are beautiful and the wow factor of the surrounding nature is undeniable. The bed was comfortable and the presence of a mini-fridge in the room was a welcome surprise. Bathroom was adequate, though the tile grout and bathtub were dirtier than would be expected for a 10-year old resort. It seems there is ongoing construction on the grounds, but it would be wise to update the lodge first (fix the windows, steam clean the carpet) before putting more money into construction.

Food was good. We had the Sunday brunch buffet at Stillwaters, and the selection was good for $19.95 per person. Beware that beverages are extra. Dinner at TJ muskie's was also solid (burgers seem to be the best bet here) but as others have mentioned, service was quite slow due to understaffing issues. We got the s'mores pack ($9.95 gets you about 10 graham crackers, 2 bars of Hershey chocolate, 10 or so marshmallows, and a wooden stick for the roasting) to prepare outside by the nightly fire pit, and that was fun. Didn't get a chance to try Lightburn's because it was closed during the days of our stay.

This is a resort in the wilderness, so outdoor activities abound. For a mandatory daily $15 resort fee, you can rent bikes, canoes, paddle oats, and kayaks to explore the grounds and lake. A daily hourlong cruise of the grounds is also included. BEWARE, however, that Segway tours are charged separately, and the hotel goes out of its way to not inform patrons upfront of the steep $40 per person fee for the tour. The website doesn't say anything about a separate charge and neither did the 2 people we spoke to about booking a tour. After a 1-hour session that included 2 petulant teenagers who did everything dangerous with a Segway that you're supposed to NOT do, we were informed we owed $40 each. The tour was not an actual tour of the grounds as we had hoped, but rather time wasted in an "obstacle" course in a parking lot and how to go up and down terrain changes. Segway tour was a real disappointment.

Finally, there was the service. No one was flat out rude, but the place seems to be run mostly by teenage newbies who don't know much about resort hospitality. And this takes me back to the title: the place tries so hard to be a resort, but just doesn't cross the finish line. Go for the natural beauty, but don't expect resort luxury.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Goingforbusiness
StonewallResortMgmt, Manager at Stonewall Resort, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Thank you for the feedback. We strive to provide a quality resort experience and a great value. Based on your comments, we have some opportunities to improve and we will do so. Please come back and see us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Monroe, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed there overnight on a business trip, when we pulled in and I saw the seven deer standing by the road I knew it was going to be a great place! The staff quickly checked us in and I found my room what a great view all rooms overlook the lake. The bed was very comfortable the rooms clean with large flat screen LG TVs. It was very quiet for a good nights rest on the feather pillows. The restaurant Stillwaters gave us a great dinner as well as a breakfast buffet. I cant wait to go back with my wife for a long weekend. They have a great golf course there as well but I think we will just do some nature walks and sit on the back deck near a fire pit and enjoy the mountain surroundings

Room Tip: The upper floors have a little better view but I don't think there is a bad view in the place
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bill A
Thank you for your review. Come back and see us again soon!
Pittsburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Was really hopefully after reading all the previous reviews of the Stonewall Resort. My husband and I did enjoy the outdoor activities, and the room was spacious. However, the food left a lot to be desired. It just wasn't... good. We arrived late, and my husband and I went to Stillwaters for dinner, just wanting something small after the drive. He got a bowl of soup, I got a cup of soup, and my cup of soup contained more soup. Then we got salads which contained brown lettuce, the whole meal left a lot to be desired. We ate there for breakfast the next day as well, again the food left a lot to be desired, the service even more. Most of the food wasn't very hot from the buffet, and It seemed like they never had enough staff to take care of the people eating - waiting 10 minutes for a glass of water! From then on we ate at TJ's, which was your typical bar food, again nothing exciting.

Our room wasn't that clean, there were hairs in the shower, we had blood on our pillowcase, and then bed felt like I was sleeping outside. We just cleaned up ourselves and moved on with our short weekend stay and enjoyed the outdoor activities, however, we won't be rushing back here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank reedk423
We are sorry for the problems you encountered during your stay. Your feedback is important and we have conducted a thorough review of our quality control procedures so that we can be more consistent in the future. You should expect to notice a difference during your next stay.
Charleston, WV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

I had never been here before and was really looking forward to my stay! It was wonderful! I will definitely return! The only complaint I would have would be there needs to be more staff on hand in TJ Muskies when there is a full house! Service was a great, but a little slow both nights.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
StonewallResortMgmt, Manager at Stonewall Resort, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Thank you! We appreciate your feedback!
Chillicothe, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

We booked this resort to get away and spend some mother daughter time. We both were very pleased with the resort and our room. Our room was clean and nice. The bed was comfortable. The grounds were kept up and beautiful. The golf course was really nice. The lake is right there and beautiful. We went about a month ago so the pool was open and we took advantage of that. There is a $15 dollar fee added to your room for resort fees. I knew this coming into it and I think it was worth every penny. There are bikes, kayaks, paddle boards, steam shower, sauna, pool, outdoor fire pit, hiking, and a fun little boat ride all this is included in that fee. We did all. We had a really great time. The restaurant was ok not great. The lounge was nice and we enjoyed having drinks and people watched there. We also bought a hobo bag which was filled with smore supplies. We ate breakfast at the restaurant and it was very good!! We walked to camp grouds which were very nice!! Tha cabins looked nice also. I would highly recommend this place for an active family or couple. It's not a party and night life place but a place to enjoy each other and nature that surrounds you!! There is also a marina were you can buy fish food and feed the fish this was fun. Great for the kids. I wanted to go back and take the husband but it was booked for fall. Good clean family fun!!! and nature!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cnhbowles
Thank you!
Morgantown, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a suite for our friends bachelorette party. The suite was huge and fit all 6 of us comfortably! There were two bathrooms and three refrigerators! We enjoyed the stay and I can't wait to return!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank WVU2014
Thank you!
North Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

My husband and I just spend a wonderful weekend in a cottage at Stonewall Resort. It was a last minute, spontaneous trip and I wish we had the time to stay longer. I have absolutely nothing negative to say about any aspect of our stay. The grounds are beautiful and well kept, the staff (ALL of the staff everywhere on the property) was amazingly friendly and helpful, our cottage was amazing. I could go on and on. We had dinner and breakfast at Stillwaters which was great. My dinner was average, my husband had the buffet which he loved. Breakfast the next morning at Stillwaters was so yummy. If you are a Belgian waffle fan you must have one freshly prepared for you!! We will definitely be returning to Stonewall in the future!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you! We appreciate the feedback!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roanoke
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Weston
Hampton Inn Buckhannon
Hampton Inn Buckhannon
#2 of 7 in Buckhannon
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Buckhannon

Been to Stonewall Resort? Share your experiences!