“Great spot for a wedding”
Review of Stonewall Resort

Stonewall Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Roanoke
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I spent 2 nights for a wedding at this lovely resort. The staff was very helpful and moved the ceremony inside when it rained for 2 days. The food for the event was delicious. Guests received breakfast each morning. The pool looked very inviting but I forgot my suit

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
StonewallResortMgmt, Manager at Stonewall Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

Thank you!

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I spent a day and a half at Stonewall Resort last week for a work retreat. I had always heard good things about the resort, but had not visited until last week. The front desk was gracious upon check in and held our bags for me and my colleagues until our rooms were ready later in the afternoon.

The conference facilities were very comfortable and accommodating. The chairs in our classroom-style set up were very comfortable -- they were not your average banquet chair, but a nice office-style desk chair with armrests and cushioned seat. I've heard that the wireless connection at the resort was horrible in the past, but I had no issue with the connection. I could text, upload photos, and make calls as needed, from the conference area and my room.

The buffet style lunch at Stillwaters was great, offering a good variety of options. The evening reception was held outdoors where appetizers were offered buffet style. Unfortunately, the items were not labled, so we had to guess at what we were eating. Also, there were many bugs and gnats in the area that were very annoying during a professional reception.

My hotel room was spacious and well-maintained. My king bed was clean, the sheets were crisp, and the mattress was comfortable. And, there were plenty of pillows!

Stonewall Resort also has a large gift shop with lots of beautiful momentos -- including jewelry, Vera Bradley bags, candles, etc. And, there are plenty of Stonewall Resort t's to choose from.

Overall, it was a great location for a business retreat... I would definitely consider Stonewall for a future event. I hope to return to this scenic locale with my family in the future.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank StephRad

Thank you!!

Reviewed September 20, 2013

The Stonewall Resort is a beautiful complex set on a lake near Roanoke WV (2 1/2 hour drive from Pittsburgh). The rooms are spacious with all the amenities; many have a lake view. The restaurant has a buffet for each meal, or you can choose from the menu. There is an adjacent bar. There is a spa and fitness center, indoor and outdoor pool, and free use of bikes, kayaks, canoes, etc. The adjoining golf course is very challenging and has gorgeous vistas. There is also a restaurant there. This is a great getaway spot.

Room Tip: Try to get a lake view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bobalcorn5

Thank you!

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We arrived about an hour before dark as we camped our way up to PA. this week. As we entered, we saw lots of deer & the area is beautiful. The campgrounds mainly serve RV's, but they did have 5 nice tent sites right on the lake. The drawback.....you have to park by a cemetery & haul your gear a short walk down thru the woods to where the tent sites are located!

The 5 tent sites each had a platform that was cantilevered out facing the lake for tents to be erected on, plus a fire ring & a picnic table. Lots of mature trees make this a nice, shady site with decent room between each tent site. For our 1 night stay, we were the only tent in this cove area.

Everything went well until 6:45am. I was wearing ear plugs (hubby snores) & I heard voices coming across the lake, getting closer, until they were right behind our tent. I could tell it was 2 fishermen in a small boat, but they were carrying on a conversation like they were in a diner instead of on a lake fishing.

Finally, I had to get out of the tent in my PJ's to ask them to move along because we were trying to sleep. The 2 older guys seemed surprised, but polite enough to apologize. I had to ask them twice to move along until they finally left. They literally had their boat anchored 10' from our tent & 3' from the shore!

Irritated, I crawled back into bed but less than 15 min. later here comes more voices & another boat with 2 fishermen in it!!! They had the entire cove area to fish in, yet they pull right up in the same spot where the first boat was.....but this time they are about 6-8' from our tent! And they just sat there having a conversation about nonsense instead of fishing quietly! These guys were old enough to know that sound travels far on a quiet lake, so I really think they did this on purpose.

My husband woke up & was hacked off, insisting we pack up & leave immediately. It was only 7am & I was still wanting to sleep! I unzipped the tent window & yelled at the 2 guys "People! For God's sake we're trying to sleep in here!" & then they slowly started boating away....still talking like 2 old gossipy biddies! At this point, I didn't care about being polite so I got out of the tent & started throwing rocks into the water not far from their boat, trying to scare any fish away.

Really...what are the odds? There's no other tents in the entire cove, yet these 2 boats anchor that close to our tent when they had the whole cove to fish in. My grandfather used to take me fishing when I was little & he always said "If yer gonna fish, FISH. If yer gonna talk, then stay the hell home cause yer scarin' me fish away!"

Personally, I suspect this was no coincidence. I think perhaps some of the locals don't like tent campers in their cove so they did this on purpose. It was a sucky way to start the day.

The bath house was clean, but we didn't try the showers since we were anxious to get on the road for some breakfast. We did take a drive past the gorgeous golf course & saw the pretty resort. I'd like to have spent more time here exploring the area & trying services at the spa, but that didn't happen thanks to the 4 rude fishermen.

Room Tip: Call ahead during the summer to reserve a tent site because there are only 5 of them. Beware of earl...
Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank jnails1

Thank you for the feedback on your stay. Sorry to hear about the noisy fishermen. I hope you will return for another stay in the future.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Off season i guess as we got a Spa Package with a lower room rate + greatly discounted price for massage and facial therapy. Even after booking , go back to deals before you arrive to see if any new packages availalble, saved us a LOT of money. Lodge has a lot of character. There is a $ 15 daily resort fee but they do give you free us of bicycles, kayaks, canoes , and other equipment..
Resort is in the middle of West Virigina..(ie: middle of nowhere) , so plan to use the two restaurants on property. Rooms clean, beds very comfy and excellent speed internet access. Nice place for family reunion, special occasion and just getting away for the weekend. Wife informed me that she really liked the resort and wanted to return in the future (probably best compliment possible)

Room Tip: Rooms facing the lake and pool have pretty view. Try to get room closer to lodge as furthest rooms a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pghsteve

We appreciate your review! Thank you very much!

Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stopped here midweek after dropping a daughter off at college in N.Y. state. Other motels in the area were full from college drop-off traffic, and we happened to find the Stonewall Resort in our AAA travel book. Although we were only there 11 hours, we were impressed with the nice room and the beautiful setting. Would have liked to stay longer.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you! Come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed September 6, 2013

The hotel lodge itself sits right in the middle of the lake area and state park, making it the perfect trip for outdoor enthusiasts. We spent the long Labor Day weekend at the resort and felt perfectly at home, though very crowded as many family seem to flock to the area. Though the hotel does advertise having all of the amenities of a luxury resort, there's not the uppity feel that comes with staying at nicer place -- all of the staff for the most part were friendly and helpful. There is the steep price tag however and I felt that if we had gone to another "luxury" resort in the area we could have gotten a lot more "bang for our buck".

My travel guest and I were very excited to try out the "coffee shop" that is located in a nook in the lobby, but were unpleasantly surprised by the agitated and inconvenienced attitude of the girl working there. Heaven forbid we order something! Outdoor activities are pretty much the only thing to do during the day at the hotel other than eat, so if you're not geared towards staying out and about from your room all day this may not be the place for you. They also could have offered some kind of evening activities because it seemed that the only thing other than drinking to do after 8pm was take a dip in the pool that looked somewhat filmy and overrun with children.

Our room was comfortable enough, but not anything spectacular and the tiling in the bathroom looked like it could use some updating. Carpets in the hallway also looked old and stained. The restaurants in the hotel were good, but again, nothing out of this world and somewhat overpriced for what was offered. I think with a major remodel and some updating, this resort could live up to the steep prices that are offered, but its just been occupied too many times without updating.

Room Tip: Request a room on the lobby floor or higher, as most of the rooms that are on ground level are noisy...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Halfmoon87

Thank you for your feedback. We are planning updates to the pool area in January 2014 and then some guest room and corridor updates in spring 2014. Not a full make over but you should notice the improvements. We place a high value of service training and we used your feedback to help our staff get better in this area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Roanoke
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Weston
Hilton Garden Inn
Hilton Garden Inn
#1 of 3 in Clarksburg
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Buckhannon

Been to Stonewall Resort? Share your experiences!