“Pricey views, subpar service.”
Review of Stonewall Resort

Stonewall Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Roanoke
Reviewed September 6, 2013

The hotel lodge itself sits right in the middle of the lake area and state park, making it the perfect trip for outdoor enthusiasts. We spent the long Labor Day weekend at the resort and felt perfectly at home, though very crowded as many family seem to flock to the area. Though the hotel does advertise having all of the amenities of a luxury resort, there's not the uppity feel that comes with staying at nicer place -- all of the staff for the most part were friendly and helpful. There is the steep price tag however and I felt that if we had gone to another "luxury" resort in the area we could have gotten a lot more "bang for our buck".

My travel guest and I were very excited to try out the "coffee shop" that is located in a nook in the lobby, but were unpleasantly surprised by the agitated and inconvenienced attitude of the girl working there. Heaven forbid we order something! Outdoor activities are pretty much the only thing to do during the day at the hotel other than eat, so if you're not geared towards staying out and about from your room all day this may not be the place for you. They also could have offered some kind of evening activities because it seemed that the only thing other than drinking to do after 8pm was take a dip in the pool that looked somewhat filmy and overrun with children.

Our room was comfortable enough, but not anything spectacular and the tiling in the bathroom looked like it could use some updating. Carpets in the hallway also looked old and stained. The restaurants in the hotel were good, but again, nothing out of this world and somewhat overpriced for what was offered. I think with a major remodel and some updating, this resort could live up to the steep prices that are offered, but its just been occupied too many times without updating.

Room Tip: Request a room on the lobby floor or higher, as most of the rooms that are on ground level are noisy...
1  Thank Halfmoon87
StonewallResortMgmt, Manager at Stonewall Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We are planning updates to the pool area in January 2014 and then some guest room and corridor updates in spring 2014. Not a full make over but you should notice the improvements. We place a high value of service training and we used your feedback to help our staff get better in this area.

There are newer reviews for Stonewall Resort

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Beautiful overall site. Compact and all activities close by. Lodge and swimming pool are excellent. Looked at cabins from outside only but they look great; right on the lake. Golf course is spectacular and great; mountain setting but not overly hilly; superior condition. Room rate includes access to bicycles, floats, float boats; nice bike paths. Highly recommended. We selected Stonewall Jackson as the site of our next family reunion.

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you! We look forward to hosting your reunion!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

You could not ask for a more beautiful location on the lake and the golf course...views are incredible. Driving up and entering the lodge....gorgeous! It was my just me and my husband and I was looking forward to all that the resort had to offer. Front desk was ok but definitely not over-friendly. Our room was nothing to get excited about. Have stayed at many chain hotels that were better and far, far less expensive. We had a handicapped bathroom (which we didn't need, but that was fine).It was small. It had a roll in shower and the shower curtain smelled mildewy. Not a single hook anywhere to hang wet bathing suits, etc. which is needed with all of the outdoor lake and water activities. The shower offered little water pressure. Our temperature in the room seemed inaccurate. We turned it low at night to sleep and it was still hot. Queen size beds felt, just a little larger than a full. We enjoyed many of the water activities and also rode the bicycles. The life jackets that you had to wear on any outdoor craft smelled horrible! I know they are used all the time but do they ever even spray some "febreeze" or something on them??? Pool was packed and lots of kids and even though it said "hot tub for 12 and over only" it was not monitored. Service by the pool and at the "sports bar" (see other review for that!) slim to none!!!! They need a place for adults only for sure. It really is a beautiful resort but when you pay close to $500. for a weekend, service and amenities should all be top-notch. Sadly, this was not the case. Service and food at all the locations were just average. I would say the young kids working in the recreation area were the friendliest. It has so so much potential and offers a lot of fun things to do. When you are paying for a "resort" you should be getting resort service. I am not a diva, don't expect to be waited on hand and foot but I do expect to get what I pay for. This beautiful disappointment needs an overhaul.

3  Thank Kmad26

We appreciate your feedback and we have made a number of improvements in response to your review. Thank you for taking the time to write.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We spent 5 days at Stonewall and had the best time! There are so many fun and free activities to enjoy, the kids were never bored. Some of the free activities we enjoyed were....paddle boats, kayaking,swimming in the pool,hayride, small toy/game room with outdoor playground. The evening cruise on the big boat ( Little Sorrell ) was amazing. I was surprised that was free. We did pay extra for the Segway tour, it was so much fun and worth every penny. There are more things to do, we just didn't get a chance to do them all. Our room was clean and well kept. I did not feel they were out dated as some of the other reviews stated. With the gorgeous scenery and numerous activities, you won't be in your room that much anyway. The service at the resort was exceptional. The front desk, bell hops, shuttle drivers, tour guides,cleaning crew, everyone was above and beyond helpful and friendly. The breakfast buffet at stillwaters was delicious and the servers were friendly. I do have one complaint, the service at TJ Muskies was BAD BAD BAD. Our first time there, we sat down to a table that needed wiped off, after 15 min of no waitress coming to our table, my husband went to the bar to order our food and drinks. After a half hour, a lady next to me was able to get a bus boys attention and get both our tables wiped down. A waitress came to get our drink order, I told her my husband went to order them from the bar and we were still waiting. ( That was the ONLY time a server came to our table that night )When our food was finally ready after 45 min, it was served to us boxed up as a to go order ( we were seated at tables to dine in ). Our second time we ate out on the patio. The waitress greeted us in a timely manner and took our drink order, she did not come back with the drinks for about 20 min and my husbands drink was wrong so he had to wait even longer. The kids and I weren't really hungry but my husband was, he ordered a large pizza so he could have several slices and the kids and I could each have one slice to snack on. She came and put down a personal size pizza and walked away, she didn't come back until she brought the bill. I told her that we ordered a large pizza and got a personal, she looked at the bill and said " well, it's ok because you only got charged for a personal" I told her we ordered the large and also, that was the second time she messed up our order. She said " we'll, it's done now so there is nothing I can do and besides, you were only charged for the small". She was so rude, I didn't even know what to say after that. Other than that, my entire stay was fantastic and we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: My tip would be to bring food that can be eaten cold, as there is a refrigerator but no microwave an...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for the review. Your feedback was definitely appreciated and your concerns were addressed by our management team. Expect a better experience in TJ Muskies on your next visit.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I was at Stonewall for my youngest daughter's wedding. This is a wonderful place to have a wedding. The grounds are very nice and clean. The ballroom is beautiful. The staff at the resort are real helpful. The rooms are clean and well kept. Indoor outdoor swimming pool. There's a restaurant in the resort, a spa, hot tub, fitness center, gift shop, children's center, coffe shop. And a boardwalk over the lake with a boat to take a cruise on, golf course, fishing, canoeing, kayaking. Loads of fun.

Room Tip: Chestnut lodge has a nice view of the boardwalk.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

It was our pleasure to serve you! Thank you!

Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is the most unfriendly pet friendly resort. You should leave your dog at home. We were constantly interrogated by the staff about the dog despite paying a $150 pet fee. Dogs were only allowed in the room. The are is nice and beautiful but we will not be returning because of the way the staff treated us.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank MattArlington

We appreciate your feedback on your stay. We continually review our pet policies with a goal to make them as friendly as possible for all our guests. We value every one of our guests especially those who bring their pets.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

This was not the first time we've stayed here. We enjoy coming at least once a year. Wonderful rooms, service, staff, food, etc. Always work for discounts because it can be a bit pricey for us. This trip, we were only able to spend one night due to the craft fair and no rooms in the Inn. :) Will go again!

Room Tip: Always check to see if you can get a better rate.
1  Thank jwiolold

Thank you for continuing to choose Stonewall Resort. We appreciate it!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Roanoke
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Weston
#2 of 7 in Buckhannon
Hilton Garden Inn
Hilton Garden Inn
#1 of 3 in Clarksburg

Been to Stonewall Resort? Share your experiences!