“Anniversary vacation”
Review of Stonewall Resort

Stonewall Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Roanoke
Reviewed August 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed for three days and two nights and we were impressed. The lodge staff was extremely friendly and very helpful. Our room had a beautiful view of the lake and was very clean. The breakfast buffet and Stillwaters was excellent. The food at TJ Muskies was excellent and reasonable priced. There were lots of activities and plenty of trails to explorer. We hope to return again and will recommend to our friends and family.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor and requested a lake side view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank spbb
StonewallResortMgmt, Manager at Stonewall Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay! Thank you!

Reviewed August 8, 2013

I have camped at Stonewall Resort in a tent.....Excellent! You get to use all the aminities that the resort offers (for a fee) but totally worth it!

I have stayed in the cabins at Stonewall Resort...Excellent!

I have stayed in the "lodge" .....HORRIBLE. Our room had a never ending supply of flies, and other bugs all over the ceiling...coming out of the vents...and our head board was broken. It was a girls trip, and the manager was kind enough to get us another room at a discounted rate...but... I thought it would be an upscale room.....Far From it. Mostly everything in the rooms are OUTDATED.

I won't plan to stay in the lodge again. I would rather be at a Wingate..and come to Stonewall for the aminities.

Room Tip: Play for the Day at Stonewall...Sleep somewhere else!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank CINSANI

Thank you for the feedback. We added high definition TV's, expanded channel selection and mini refrigerators to our lodge rooms in 2013 and we are planning some further updates in 2014.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

The grounds are beautiful. The rooms and amenities are maintained well and there are plenty of activities to keep the kids and adults busy. All things considered it is a great place to relax and have fun. The service for the most part is suspect at best. When you check-in there is no one around to help you. Don't get me wrong, there were three staff present at the valet desk but there's no way that they would disengage in their conversation to help any one out. The check-in desk was fairly efficient but I would not go so far as to say welcoming. We had a mixed experience with Stillwaters Restaurant. The food was okay but overpriced and the menu was somewhat uninspired. Our waitress however, was beyond inept. At some point during the experience I was looking for a hidden camera because I thought that there was no way that this could not be a joke. I was wrong. I did brief management on the experience and to their credit they did take care of the problem, but serously how does someone like this get by their hiring process? That being said, I would probably visit again and opt for one of their cottages and bring my own meals.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Gundelsploom

Thank you for the feedback. It has been helpful to our management team as we look to improve the execution of our service and quality processes and procedures. We hope you notice a positive change when you return for your next stay.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband and I wanted a quick weekend getaway and we were able to book a room here on the spur of the moment. He has stayed many times for conferences, but this was my first visit. The setting is gorgeous, and our room fee included many free activities: we swam in the nicely designed indoor/outdoor pool, took advantage of the Trek bikes to ride around the resort, and kayaked the lake. The staff was friendly and helpful. We dined at the Stillwaters restaurant; I thought the food was okay but nothing special, but my husband rated it much higher. However, we agreed that the breakfast buffet was delicious with a wide variety of choices and we both gave "thumbs up" to our lunch at Lightburns. I rode my bike around the campground; each site had an electrical hookup and picnic table, and I saw at least three separate restroom facilities. Two caveats: although our room was immaculate and well-equipped, it seemed a bit dated and not what I would expect in a 4-star resort, and if you choose not to dine at any of the on-site restaurants, you'll have to drive quite far to find any other restaurants. Otherwise, I would highly recommend a stay in this lovely, tranquil resort set lakeside in the beautiful West Virginia mountains.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WVTeacher20

Thank you for the feedback. We appreciate it. We are making some guest room updates in 2014 so hopefully you will notice a positive improvement when you come back to see us again.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Don't get me wrong, the geographic location of the resort is beautiful to look at and the lake is a great place to swim or go boating. But you can enjoy either of those activities without staying at the lodge, which you should probably avoid if you're accustomed to staying at decent hotels (basically, any hotel in WV not called the Greenbrier or the Waterfront). Frankly, I'm baffled at how this place can claim a four diamond rating; all the other four and five diamond properties I've stayed at blow this place away. A few observations from my recent three night stay (I was there for a reunion with some longtime friends):

1) The rooms are outdated and very spare, but to be fair are clean. Just don't expect to be wowed in any way upon entering your quarters. And our king bed was very lumpy and uncomfortable.

2) The first of my two primary complaints about this place is the attitude exhibited by the front desk, bell hop, and restaurant staff. They weren't rude, but it was clear that they have no passion for what they do and most likely haven't been trained properly. The bell hop guys in the orange shirts stand and joke around while you attempt to carry your bags to your room, which isn't always easy given the layout of the resort and the significant distance from the parking lot to the front door. If you are able to get their attention and request a baggage cart, you are told that the resort policy is that a bell hop must accompany the carts at all times.

3) The second of my two primary compliants is that the food and service at each of the resort's three restaurants is uniformly horrendous. We had dinner one night at Lightburn's at the golf clubhouse, and my sandwich was clearly one of those frozen patty pucks that you stick on the grill straight from the freezer. My fries were served in some type of personal imitation fryer vat that did little to keep the fries from falling through the square openings and onto the dirty table. My waiter was a 18-year-old boy (common throughout the resort) who had little interest in serving me or my wife. The next morning, we had breakfast at Stillwaters, and it was about as appetizing as something you'd pull from its namesake. The buffet featured dry, cold items (aside from the made to order omelets, which were good) and wasn't cheap. The only good meals we had were lunches at TJ Muskies, where the burgers are very good but service is still slow.

4) I do give high marks to the common areas where you can grab an adirondack chair and a drink and look out over the water. However, beware of the lingering geriatrics who will attempt to shame you out of your chair if you are under the age of 40.

To sum up my experience, I'll leave you with this story: I was grabbing a drink from the bar at Muskies and asked the bartender for an extra plastic cup for one of my buddies. She handed me a cup with a napkin stuff in it. When I asked what the napkin was for, she said, "You're going to spit in it, right?". Just remember that this is a West Virginia resort, which is a bit of an oxymoron wrapped in a misnomer. I had a great time due to the presence of my friends, but I would never pay to stay here for a personal getaway.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank John W

Thank you for taking the time to write. We are always looking for ways to improve the guest experience at Stonewall Resort and your comments were helpful.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

The scenery, water sports, boat rental and restaurants are worth a one time trip. The pool, as stated by others, is too small but clean and attractive. We ate at all three restaurants and the food was quite good and generous portions. The sheets do not fit the beds, they are not fitted and housekeeping did a very poor job of making the bed. Every morning one wakes up with the sheet out of all the corners and in a ball under you. The staff was congenial and they have a shuttle to take you between buildings if you want to go, the marina, Roanoke Center, restaurant etc. Do not waste your money on the Roanoke center. It costs $10.00 for an all day wrist band but there is nothing to do for more than an hour tops for small children. The "free" things are mini golf, rock wall (limited to three at a time), and a bounce house. They are slick enough to put many arcade games and small rides in that are all coin operated. Of course you spend much more than the $10.00 and the staff was not cordial at all. The Segway tour was worth the money and those employees quite helpful. If you have small children you must go to the marina and buy a bag of fish food for $1.00 and feed the carp. They climb over each other to get the food. Our 3 year old loved it.

Room Tip: The rooms are a little small and plain but clean. They need to update the bath tub tiles they are o...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay overall. Your feedback is important and we definitely factor it in to our ongoing discussions about how we can improve the guest experience at Stonewall. Thank you!

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stumpled acoss this resort from looking for places to play golf. We called and for the weekend they had one room left. Are we glad we took it! They have a great golf course that we were able to play twice and quite a few bike paths we rode. They have a breakfast buffet that was one of the best I have ever experienced. Better than the best cruise ship. To bad the dinner could not compare. But in all fairness we were rather late for dinner. Triple A list this as a four diamond hotel and I would concur. I saw little to complain about other than the dinner buffet and maybe the slow outside dinning service. But everthing else made up for any dislikes.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Edward W
StonewallResortMgmt, Manager at Stonewall Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Thank you for your review! I am sorry your dinner experience did not match up with the rest of your stay but I am glad you were pleased overall. We are always striving to improve where we can and your feedback is helpful in that process. Please come back and visit us again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Roanoke
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Weston
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Gassaway/Sutton
Hilton Garden Inn
Hilton Garden Inn
#1 of 3 in Clarksburg

Been to Stonewall Resort? Share your experiences!