“A "Just OK" Valentine's Weekend” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stonewall Resort

Stonewall Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Roanoke
Coral Gables, Florida
“A "Just OK" Valentine's Weekend”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2008

For Valentine's weekend, my husband booked a package at Stonewall Jackson Resort. There were some really great highlights. The staff all-around was friendly. The resort itself had a rustic quality, which is what we were after - a weekend escape from DC. Our room was nice. Our strawberries and champagne were waiting for us when we arrived. All very pleasant. We had lunch at TJ Muskie's. Food was excellent and it was fun to play pool and have some drinks. The dinners we had were pretty good. We had two great waitresses - great service, offered to take pictures for us - the whole nine yards. The hiking onsite was terrific, too.

There were some downsides that really took away from our experience. There was a domestic disturbance near our room that took HOURS to dissolve (in the middle of the night) - fighting, screaming, police called, the offender being thrown against our door as they hauled him out...It felt like being on an episode of COPS. While this is not a direct result of the Resort, it definitely created some terrifying memories and obviously didn't create a relaxing environment for us to be in. No one told us what was going on - we were just barked at and told to stay in our rooms, which we understood. However, since we didn't know the full extent of the issue, I was naturally scared by what was going down in the hallway. The next morning when we followed up with management to make sure the issue had been resolved (we didn't want to spend another night near people who would create more problems), the manager indicated that he basically had no control over what guests did and left it at that. He gave us $50 off our stay. Needless to say, that didn't give me back hours of sleep and worry or a ruined evening. When you drive five hours to get somewhere and you really only have 36 hours in which to relax, a manager insinuating there's nothing he can do after a situation like that seems like a crappy deal.

I had some spa services while there. The massage was good, but there were reservation issues. I had booked a Swedish massage and they had me down as Aromatherapy. They made it seem like it was my mistake, when in actuality, I hate Aromatherapy and never would have booked that, so I know it wasn't my error. I also had a mani/pedi. It was way overpriced and nowhere near a resort-quality experience. The pedi room is utterly drab and not what I would call spa-like by any means.

Additionally, when we went to check out, there were extra charges on our bill that were supposed to have been included in the package we selected. We pointed it out and the check out rep amended the bill. Again, not much of a "Sorry about that, totally our fault." So I recommend to others to closely examine your bill before you leave. You shouldn't have to pay extra because of the Resort's clerical errors.

So all in all, the people who work here are in general, very sweet. But this place has a lot to learn in customer service. Just being nice to your guests isn't always enough - sometimes you have to go out of your way to fix things and make them right. I spent most of the weekend feeling like I had to apologize for things that weren't even my fault (botched spa reservations, a drunk guy being too trashed and getting kicked out and my husband and I having to hear all of the BS that went down at 3am, our bill being screwed up at check out). This place has a lot going for it and I'm sure many people would enjoy staying here (especially when you don't have the issues we did). But seeing how management responds to such issues was enough for me to say that I will never go back there.

• Liked — The friendliness of the staff, the lodge style.
  • Disliked — Management's handling of our concerns
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shan_luv2travel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Mendon, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2008

My husband and I spent 3 nights at the resort in mid May as part of our vacation in West Virginia and had a great time. We loved the resort. Even the bad weather couldn't dampen our enthusiasm for the place.

The room was immaculate and we had a great view of the lake. The scenery in and around the hotel is beautiful. It is out in the middle of nowhere and at night it's peaceful and quiet. You can actually hear the birds and I felt close to nature. The whole facility is immaculately maintained.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful throughout the resort. When the waitress at Stillwaters found out it was my 50th birthday she surprised us with a dessert and on the dessert plate written in chocolate icing was Happy 50th birthday. Nice personal touch, I thought.

There are plenty of indoor and outdoor activites and we did our best to use as much of the facilities as possible. Canoes, paddleboats & kayaks are free to use. The gym and pool were nice and nearly always empty when I was there. The locker room was clean, well appointed and had a sauna. On one of the very rainy days I used the resort's library: got a book, snuggled up on one of their comfy chairs next to the fireplace and read for half a day, heaven! A short drive on the property will take you to the marina where you can rent various types of boats. I had a blast buying some dogfood there and feeding the carp and bass that are regular fixtures at the dock.

We tried all three restaurants and thought the food was plentiful, varied and very tasty. Stillwaters offers a buffet everyday for breakfast, lunch and dinner in addition to the a la carte menu. We thought the quality of the food at Stillwaters was especially good. After having read other reviews I had made reservations in advance for Stillwaters for the night we arrived. I'm glad we did because much of the seating was already reserved for the attendees of the numerous conferences that were going on there. Even though there was a lot of activity at the resort because of the conferences I never had the feeling of it being overcrowded (except at Stillwaters). The hotel atmosphere is casual and relaxed. There is no dress code for any of the restaurants. My only very minor complaints are that the gym was rather small and it did not offer a very large selection of equipment. And depending on what your expectations are for a spa, you might be a little disappointed. I had a pedicure which was perfectly fine and a foot reflexology session which was more like a food massage. It has the ambience of a hair salon rather than a spa.

We stayed at two different resorts in West Virginia on this trip and liked this resort much better. Had we known what Stonewalls was going to be like, we would have spent the entire vacation there. I would go back again anytime and I would highly recommend it to anyone for a family vacation.

• Liked — The scenery, staff attentiveness, the food, the variety of activites, cleanliness & up keep
  • Disliked — small gym, spa somewhat less than what I would have expected for a spa
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Love2Travel043
upper arlington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2008

Stonewall was EXCELLENT!!! We got there on a Friday afternoon way before check/in and they were able to accomadate us right away. Our room was wonderful and the view was marvelous. They have valet parking and the bell boys are nice, even though we decicded ourselves to walk and carry our stuff. The resturant was a bit a pricey but we were able to get 2 breakfasts and 1 meal with the package that we has reserved, which in the end we made out. I definatly suggest any packages they have to offer. Our servers were OUTSTANDING and bent over backwards to make sure everything was to our liking.
The front desk agents were also very good, being in the hotel industry myself, they were helpful, knowledgable about the area, and always very friendly. This was the first trip my husband I had been on by ourselves in 5 years, and let me tell you it was worth every dollar and we already have resverations for fall.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Paw Paw, West Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2007

My wife and I spent two days at Stonewalls to attend an event. We checked in at 4 and we thought the check-in was fine. At six we went to the restaurant and was told that reservations are required, and the desk always tells people when they check in. Seems if we wanted to eat room service was our only choice. We ended up spending $30 for a hamburger and a bowl of soup! After the event the next day, we went down to the bar in the evening. After a half hour, I went up to the bar to order a drink and some nibbles. “We’ll bring them to your table.” A half hour later we left! Now mind you, there were some excellent waits and staff, but the lack of attention to guests we experienced is a sign of a resort on the decline. If you can sit in a bar with an empty table in front of you for an hour, someone is not doing their job!

• Liked — Meal at Lightburns
  • Disliked — Lack of servcie - not being able to get a meal
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank RobRoy47
WV
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2007

My husband and I spent our yearly anniversary trip here. We are from WV so we have been trying different places in WV to stay on our anniversary. Stonewall resort was a nice place, the lobby is gorgeous and the scenery is beautiful. Our room was just fine, very clean with a large bathroom and comfortable beds. We didn't do the spa, although it looked as though it had a lot of nice options.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. One of our lights in our room was burned out we called, and within 5 minutes housekeeping was there with a light bulb. The next day when we came back to our room, housekeeping wrote us a nice note thinking us for the tip and telling us to enjoy our stay. We ate at Stillwaters restaurant two mornings for breakfast and one evening for dinner, the food was delicious and again the service was very good.

We don't drink so the bar doesn't interest us, there are a few walking and biking trails (you can rent bikes on the property), that was very nice. Also shopping, a few miles down the road. One was a nice outlet shopping mall in Flatwoods and another large mall in Clarksburg.

Oh and the pool looked so nice, it was an inside/outside pool, but we forgot to take our bathingsuits so we didn't get to use it.

I would definitely return and take my kids, they would love the pool and they love nature so I'm sure they'd enjoy this place. In the summer they have boat rentals and the lake is very large. My husband played golf here and loved the course.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tinybear
Rome, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2007

We stayed here for two nights. Although we didn't necessarily have any problems, we would never stay here again. Unless you like golf, there really isn't much to do and everything closes early, probably because the clientele is largely elderly (the sports bar closes at 11! ). I do not recommend the spa. Calling it a "spa" is a stretch. It is a basic hair salon like you'd find in any small rural town except that this one has a few rooms in the back for massages and facials. There was nothing special about any of the spa treatments. Although the spa staff is friendly, the treatments were very basic and really, they were below average. I was ready to leave halfway through my 4 treatments.

Sadly, the peacefulness of the outdoor area is ruined by music that is constantly played over speakers outside. I have no idea why the resort thinks its a good idea to play music out there. Otherwise it looks like it would be a nice little retreat with a view of the lake and woods.

There are some positives: Everything was clean and everyone was very friendly. The food at Stillwaters and at the bar was very good and I had great waitresses at each place. Also, free s'mores were offered around the campfire one night. That was a nice little unexpected touch. The resort could use some more special touches like that.

• Liked — The food
  • Disliked — The spa
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank JWashingtonDC
Mentor, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2007

We recently spent two nites @ the lodge. We had lunch @ Lightburn's. The food was tasty and fresh. Breakfast buffet @ Stillwaters was very good with different choices daily and made to order omlette station. Service was slow but once you had their attention it was very friendly and accommodating. The lodge and rooms were very clean. The pool is nice but on the small side. The views are spectacular. We enjoyed biking, paddle boats, and kayaking @ no extra charge.The fire pit @ night was very relaxing. Only negatives are the beds are very uncomfortable, no game room, no snacks for kids. It appears to target business clientèle. This is a great place for a quick, quiet relaxing getaway.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Peg7972
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roanoke
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Weston
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Buckhannon
Hampton Inn Buckhannon
Hampton Inn Buckhannon
#2 of 7 in Buckhannon

Been to Stonewall Resort? Share your experiences!