“A Real Gem”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Roanoke
Maitland, Florida
“A Real Gem”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stumpled acoss this resort from looking for places to play golf. We called and for the weekend they had one room left. Are we glad we took it! They have a great golf course that we were able to play twice and quite a few bike paths we rode. They have a breakfast buffet that was one of the best I have ever experienced. Better than the best cruise ship. To bad the dinner could not compare. But in all fairness we were rather late for dinner. Triple A list this as a four diamond hotel and I would concur. I saw little to complain about other than the dinner buffet and maybe the slow outside dinning service. But everthing else made up for any dislikes.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Edward W
StonewallResortMgmt, Manager at Stonewall Resort, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for your review! I am sorry your dinner experience did not match up with the rest of your stay but I am glad you were pleased overall. We are always striving to improve where we can and your feedback is helpful in that process. Please come back and visit us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Fairmont, West Virginia, United States
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I'd like provide feedback on the resort campground but I cant. After making a reservation and preparing for the trip I received a voice mail message saying that there was some mix up and my reservation was cancelled and there were no longer spaces available. My children were so disappointed when I told them that we couldn't go and it was to late to make arrangements somewhere else. I called the office the following morning to see what had happened and the person I spoke with did apologize for the situation but wasn't sure if my credit card had been charged or not.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Jason E
StonewallResortMgmt, Manager at Stonewall Resort, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
We are sorry that you had a problem with your campground reservation this summer. We have made a number of improvements in our procedures and you should expect a much better experience in the future. We look forward to serving you soon.
Westfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The Stonewall Resort has plenty of free activities, from mountain biking and hiking to fishing and boating. The pool is nice and the women in the family took advantage of the spa. They loved their massages. The kids enjoyed the rec center on a hot day and had fun playing mini golf, climbing the rock wall and playing video games.

The resort's restaurant food is good for a hotel, meaning there's nothing wrong with it but that it's nothing special, either. It would be nice if the restaurants offered a nightly special or two, but they just offer the standard everyday menu.

The rooms are clean and comfortable and the staff is friendly and helpful. We stayed in adjoining rooms in the main lodge. There's no room-to-room noise, but noise from the hallway comes right through the door and into the room.

We'd go back, but be warned that if you're expecting to swim in the lake that's discouraged. And there is no beach!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank NewEnglander41924
Thank you for the kind words about your stay at our resort. We appreciate the feedback and take it seriously!
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This resort is the best kept secret! The grounds are simply beautiful. The lake views were amazing. I recently stayed for a long weekend with my girlfriends. We were very impressed by the resort's offer of so many free activities, such as canoeing, kayaking and peddle boating.

We enjoyed the spa as well. John gave me an excellent deep tissue massage and Elle finished the job with an amazing full body scrub.

The staff were very helpful and the food was simply delicious. We had the breakfast buffet every morning...DELICIOUS!! During the evenings, we ordered from the bar or from the menu. The food never disappointed us. April and Heather are the BEST and most friendly ladies at the bar. You'll enjoy talking to them.

This is a great place for anyone of any age. Although we didn't bring our children on this trip, this would be a great place for a family vacation. Lots of free children activities to choose from.

We stayed at the resort from Fri-Monday and never once left the property. This is an awesome place for fun, rest and relaxation. A must visit!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank VacationsRUs2010
Thank you! We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort soon!
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the one of the cabins this year - we enjoyed the quiet although the other cabins are very close. Although it is more expensive than the lodge rooms, it was nice to have more space. Staff was fine - no complaints. Pool area does seem too small for all of the people and not enough staff working to take care of guests at the pool. In terms of the cabins, our dryer barely worked and took many cycles to dry just a few items. Plus, grassy area between cabins and lake could stand to be mowed better- need a better path down to lake. Kitchen is barely equipped- you may need to brings from home like a baking dish, etc. would be nice to have a campfire ring too. Love the lake, hiking and marina. Teenagers working the Rec center area w/ put put, games etc were very nice.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Wvpresser
Thank you for the feedback. We are addressing the issues you mentioned in your review about the cottages and we appreciate your kind words for the service you received from our staff. We look forward to welcoming your back to our resort again soon!
Connellsville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I planned this trip for my boyfriends 34th birthday. I hoped this would be a relaxing, romantic get-a-way. The location is beautiful. The staff was friendly upon checking in. Our room was nice, but outdated. Not what you would expect for 4-star. Boy can they make things look nice in pictures! ;) We enjoyed walking along the trails, and the lake views were beautiful. We ate at TJ Muskies that evening. Very good food and reasonably priced. (I appreciate the gluten free options!) We enjoyed music and fire pit at night.
The following day we had a blast kayaking, by far my favorite part of the stay! We spent the rest of the day by the pool. The pool was nice, but seemed small for the amount of guests.
We ate at Stillwaters that evening, where our get-a-way took a turn for the worse! We both chose the buffest. Big mistake. We both got very sick from the meal, had to spend the rest of the evening in our room. We checked out the next morning. returning to the parking lot to find his brand new car was hit! Shockingly bad damage, for a parking lot accident. We told the front desk and the had the other drivers information. I was visibly shaken and crying in the chair and my boyfriend was obviously upset while making phone calls. I was shocked the resort didn't even offer an apology! (Compassion goes a long way)
I've worked at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort and Walt Disney Resort. Stonewall just failed to deliver the 4/5 star quality guests expect.
Overall, we had a good time. Mostly, because of our company ;)
Wouldn't return, or recommend.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Rachel H
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. Your feedback is very important so we can continue to improve the guest experience at Stonewall. We realize you had some issues during your stay but hope you will consider us for a future visit.
Saint Clairsville, Ohio
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I recently stayed at Stonewall for a conference. The resort is Ok,but there is not much nearby. I had a terrible experience in the restaurant. The manager was extremely rude and would not let me eat outside, telling me it was for guests. Apparently you lose your guest status if you stay at the hotel and also are attending a meeting. Employees were eating outside at the time and there were empty tables. Other guests were looking at me like I was a trespasser. I wanted to speak to the other manager whose solution was to send me a gift certificate for lunch there which is not helpful as Stonewall is 3 hours away. Beware if you have a problem, you are basically out of luck. Go to a holiday inn or marriott where they have better customer service, if you are just spending the night and do not intend to use resort amenities,it is hit or miss whether they are open or not anyway.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Travelista520
I apologize for your experience in our restaurant. Our food and beverage team takes a lot of pride in taking good care of our guests but clearly we fell short of expectations during your stay. I have asked our food and beverage director, Chris Steffich, to contact you to discuss this matter in greater detail. Thank you for letting us know. That is the only way we can improve.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roanoke
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Weston
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Gassaway/Sutton
Hampton Inn Buckhannon
Hampton Inn Buckhannon
#2 of 7 in Buckhannon

Been to Stonewall Resort? Share your experiences!