“Relaxing Winter Weekend”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Roanoke
Chincoteague Island, Virginia
“Relaxing Winter Weekend”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband was attending a week long conference at this lovely resort in rural WV and invited my two teen girls and I to join him for the weekend. The resort had many guests due to the Culinary Classic event (which we did not attend). Even so,the staff did a wonderful job of meeting all of our needs, from greeting our car to unload luggage to cleaning our room promptly and thoroughly. Activities are limited in the winter, but we took a beautiful hike to a lakefront beach on one of the many marked trails. We soaked our tired legs in the hot tub and swam in the indoor/outdoor pool which was a comfortable temperature even for a cold water wimp like me. We had an early morning game of Jenga in the game room (board games only, no arcade games here) while waiting for treadmills to open up in the fitness room. We ate our meals in both the bar area (TJ Muskies) and the restaurant (Stillwaters) and found the food to be delicious, reasonably priced (important because of the remoteness of the location), and staffed with some of the nicest servers I've ever met at a resort. I would like to return in the summer when there are a wide variety of water sports and bicycles available (all complimentary for resort guests). The activity center, including indoor mini-golf and a rock climbing wall, opens Memorial Day weekend. There is a spa with a wide variety of treatments as well as a library room with books you can borrow and mail back when you've finished. They advertise a children's program up to age 12 and have a small playground adjacent to the hotel. An Arnold Palmer golf course surrounds the resort, and the clubhouse offers an additional restaurant in season. Our room was comfortable and quiet with a gorgeous view of the lake. Scheduled updates include plans to replace the tv with a flat screen and add a refrigerator to each room. Our time at the Stonewall Resort gave us an opportunity to slow down and enjoy the beauty of nature, even in the winter.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
StonewallResortMgmt, Manager at Stonewall Resort, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Stonewall Resort! We appreciate it very much!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Pittsburgh
Reviewed March 14, 2013

What a great family resort at a very economical rate. It's a great place to take a family who wants some adventure (boating, canoeing, swimming etc.), as well as some R&R. Great for a 2-3 day trip. Clean and comfy accomodations, but definitely no frills. The rooms are very basic. Food options are decent; no amazing culinary skills, just good comfort food. The massages were great, but the spa is basic (no relaxation area really; more of an in-and-out type of spa).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Stonewall Resort. We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort again soon!
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My wife and I attended the Culinary Classic at Stonewall Resort this past weekend. It was one of the best events we've ever attended however that was probably as a result of the planners of the event. The resort, however, was very nice. The service was excellent and everyone was very nice. There wasn't much going on at the lake however once spring/summer gets here, it seems like a very nice place to go. It's literally in the middle of nowhere so any activities or dining needs to be done on the property. There are lots of trails too. This is one of those places you want to go to if you want to relax.

Room Tip: We had a lakeview room which had a fabulous view of the lake. I highly recommend asking for a lakevi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments! The March Culinary Classic is one of our most popular events of the year. We hope you come back and see us again soon!
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed for a conference in late January. After staying two nights, due to inclement weather we left one day early.

Location - This is part of the WV state parks and is a short drive off the I-79 exit 91. The park is very scenic and has sprawling grounds.

Resort - The resort has nice grounds and a golf course. The weather was quite bad the period we were there and it snowed quite a bit. Hence, did not get a chance to explore the outdoor activities available at the resort.

Main building - The building is quite old and seems a heritage structure. It has huge woodwork in the lobby. It reminded me of the overlook hotel in movie shining in a pleasant way! The weather with snow added further to this effect.

Check-in. The place was deserted in late January presumably due to the weather. We were 4 people staying and it looked like we almost had the complete place for ourselves for the three days we stayed. The check-in was relatively smooth.

Rooms - The rooms had a quaint rustic look and were comfortable. The room was spacious with a bed, working table and old CRT TV. The bath was utilitarian and quite spacious. It seems apt for the surroundings and were happy with the facilities.

Conference hall - We booked the Tiegert conference room for the meeting and it worked well. The service in the conference room was quite good with snacks in the morning and coffee / tea for the breaks.

Restaurant - The breakfast, lunch and dinner were average and we were captive customers due to the weather and also due to the location of the resort. The menu had a decent selection for a-la-carte but the price seemed to be on the higher side.

Summary - We were quite happy with he resort and the tariff of $99 seemed quite reasonable. It is a good place to visit in summer with the outdoor activities on offer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. We take all your comments seriously and appreciate your candor. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
west virginia
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Room had a lake view and was nice,except couch did have stains and could stand to be cleaned. Pool was cool but fun, outdoor hot tub was better with the jets off as they are sounding pretty worn out. Room service good, spaghetti squash and pizza was loved by the family. Breakfast buffet was very good, I love the gluten free options now, staff very friendly. We look forward to Easter, my granddaughter can't wait to the Easter bunny again, and the "Easter boy" as she calls the recreational manager.

Room Tip: Lake view is very pretty
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sillinursewv
Thank you for your kind comments about your stay. We hope your granddaughter got to see the "Bunny boy" this past weekend!
Charlotte
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I wish I could review the resort and the golf course, but I cant. I plan a spring golf trip for myself and friends. We wanted to rent a cottage for a weekend and play a bunch of golf. I called reservations one day and a pleasant person tried to help me with the details. Her computer couldnt book the type of reservation I needed. She needed to get me talking with someone with "onsite" reservations. She told me that someone would contact me shortly. I waited two days. Nobody contacted me. I thought well I will just try again. So I contacted the reservation number again. I told her the details of my previous call. She again tried to book the details through her computer and couldnt as I had already told her she wouldnt be able to. She asked me to hold and then she came back and said she needed to get me to "onsite" reservations. She promised me someone would get back to me promptly this time. It's been a week since I called. No contact.

Apparently this resort is doing so well they dont need a golf group coming there to spend thousands of dollars there this spring.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank WheelRed5
We were able to speak privately with this guest and apologized for the problems he had trying to contact us. He thanked us for reaching out to him and told us he would give us another chance to host his golf group in the future.
Morgantown, West Virginia
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I want to be explicity clear here, the stonewall Resort is a wonderful hotel in a gorgeous setting, with wonderful staff, delicious restaurants, and some pretty nice amenities and activities available. But, it is not the Greenbrier (a true "full-service" resort). I think the Stonewall is at risk to sell itself short by focusing too much on the "resort" term. But it is truly unique in being a real conference hotel at a beautiful lake in the mountains of WV.

My husband and I enjoyed our stay immensely. We had an incredible dinner at Stillwaters. Every single dish on their buffet was outstanding, definitely quality over quantity. The desert bar was also out of this world. As we prepared to leave the restaurant to visit the pool our server even gave us a to-go box to take a little bit of dessert for later as well as plastic to-go cups so we could take drinks to the pool area.

The pool area is pretty awesome! It's an indoor/outdoor pool and, even in February, you can swim outside (the pool is heated, though outside it is a little chilly). They also have two hot tubs, both of which flow into the pool.

The room we had was in a very quiet corridor and overlooked the lake. We like it overall. The only thing that surprised us was the age of the TV, but it was in good repair. Just again, the little differences between a stellar hotel and a resort.

We are actually planning to come back in a few months. Kayak rentals are complementary for hotel guests. This is an amazing deal.

On second thought, the Stonewall Resort is the resort for outdoor enthusiasts. It marries delicious food with seemingly unlimited outdoor activities. So if you're outdoorsy, this is the resort you probably really want. Having patronized other resorts in the area, I can see myself having more fun here, but that's because to me a great day is hiking, biking, and/or kayaking with an amazing dinner to top it off.

Room Tip: See if you can't get a room near the end of a corridor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
StonewallResortMgmt, Manager at Stonewall Resort, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for the thorough review of your Stonewall Resort experience! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roanoke
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Weston
#2 of 7 in Buckhannon
Hilton Garden Inn
Hilton Garden Inn
#1 of 3 in Clarksburg

Been to Stonewall Resort? Share your experiences!