1,417 results
All reviewsfire pitgolf coursetj muskiesarnold palmerpaddle boatsoutdoor activitiesbeautiful lakewest virginiabreakfast buffethiking trailsstate parkactivity centerthe cottagesoff the menuhot tubgift shoprelaxing weekend
Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband and I chose the Appalachian Retreat package which included a nights stay with breakfast and dinner buffet included. It is a very nice and clean resort. Just a warning, the lake is drained more than in the photos, so it is not as picturesque as the photos suggest. The front desk staff was polite to us. We made a reservation for dinner (we couldn't reach them until they opened to do this) and went down at our reserved time. The waitress took our order and after 30 minutes, our food finally arrived. She brought me something I didn't order and when I told her she offered to replace it but it would take a while. I just ate this entree and didn't make a big stink about it. She was very apologetic and offered wine or dessert on top of me getting the entree for free so I could save my voucher for another day. We were staying one night so we couldn't save the voucher. I really didn't like my meal, it was too salty and I didn't eat much. She told us to look at the dessert bar and if we didn't like anything she would bring us a dessert menu. After 20 minutes she never came back. We just ate at the dessert bar and asked for the ticket. She did not bring us a ticket and said not to worry about our drinks and tip. It took 1 hour and 45 minutes before we finally left. The wait staff seemed very busy and stressed and there was clearly not enough staff. I was hungry a couple hours later and we went to TJ Muskey's and the food took so long to come we almost left. I had just finished filling out the receipt for our drinks when it showed up. Fries should not take 20 minutes to make!

The pool was horrible. Kids were left unattended and screamed and yelled, with their voices reverberating off of the walls. Children under 12 were allowed in the hot tub, with the attendant peering in and walking off, never telling any of the kids to get out. I had to myself, only out of fear for the safety of the 4 year old. I couldn't take the yelling and getting splashed by kids doing cannon balls. We left and it was not a relaxing visit to the pool I expected.

Breakfast buffet was good, but very busy and once again, frazzled staff. The guy filled our water a couple times and gave us a ticket before asking for a big tip. I know he was trying to be funny, but when it is your money, not so funny.

This was a night away from our young daughter to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It was disappointing because the food was not that great, children were everywhere unsupervised (allowing older children who are kids themselves to supervise them doesn't count), and it wasn't nearly as relaxing as I would have liked.

Great for families, not for a romantic getaway. I would look for a cabin next time.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sleepdoc2b
StonewallResortMgmt, Manager at Stonewall Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

We are sorry to read that your experience at Stonewall did not meet your expectations. We take your comments seriously and we have been taking action on the issues you mentioned in your review. As a result, we feel confident our team will be better prepared to handle these situations in the future. Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Over Thanksgiving this year, we stayed at this hotel in central WVA for two nights. If you're traveling on I.79, it's worth your while to stop for a night or two. This hotel is nestled in the WVA hills beside a lake, with a 5 star golf course and a spa. The rooms are wonderfully comfortable with windows that open to night breezes, framed pictures of some of the most beautiful spots in WVA. If you're lucky, you may see the deer grazing outside your window, or fishermen trying their luck at the lake. Walking is a must, as there are many trails right outside the front door, and a walking bridge across the lake that has been recently completed. As you enter the lobby, which is really beautiful, especially at Christmas, enjoy the roaring fireplace to your right, windows framing the WVA hills and lake, coffee readily available, and big comfy furniture to enjoy the daily paper. Spa treatments are reasonable, the pool, which is a swim inside and out and hot tubs inside and out, are a BIG draw for families with children, or for early morning or late evening swims for those not so in love with kids. The breakfast buffet is reasonable at $14, with 1st class service and luscious thumb-sized blackberries, fresh pineapple, strawberries and many other fruits, and home-made granola, plus all the other breakfast amenities including filled with your choice omelets. For evenings, enjoy a cocktail or beer at the lounge with it's own circular fireplace, pool table, right beside the hugh stone patio facing the pool, where you can roast marshmallows and even purchase kits for someores. I think this hotel is a jewel in the middle of all that beautiful WVA countryside. Try it, you'll love it!

Room Tip: If you get on their email list, they have GREAT specials, rooms on the pool side are more convenient, plus they have cabins if you have a larger group. They also have special free activities, especially if you have kids to be entertained.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Stonewall Resort. We appreciate your compliments and it really motivates our staff when they read reviews like this. Thank you again!

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Stonewall Resort is where my husband and I chose to spend Thanksgiving. Our stay at the resort started off awful. The woman at the front desk was very rude, and short with each guest (including us). The Chesnut portion of the resort (where our room was located) was overwhelmed with screaming, unruly children. All in all, we had to notify security three times before action was taken in order to get a restful nights sleep. We were also unable to utilize the pool and jacuzzi, because it was overtaken with children as well (which any child under 12 is NOT allowed in a jacuzzi by law). Breakfast was also terrible, long lines and the conversations were so loud in the from you couldn't hear yourself talk. Stonewall Resort is NOT the place to go for a quiet getaway, the Super 8 would be more accommodating and curious in my opinion.

Room Tip: There are no "good rooms" at this resort.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

We are sorry to read about the problems you experienced during your stay. We do take your comments seriously and our team is committed to doing everything possible to make sure all of our guests enjoy their stays with us. We have been taking action on the items you mentioned in your review and we feel confident our team will be better prepared to handle these challenges in the future. Thank you for taking the time to write.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We atayed at the Stonewall Lodge in October of 2012. The rooms were nice and clean. We rode bikes, hiked and rode the boat on the lake. The leaves were near their peak and it was a very enjoyable trip.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

We agree. Fall is a beautiful time of the year at Stonewall. Please come back and visit us again soon!

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Our first visit to the Stonewall Resort...and I give it a wonderful review. The people working therre were amazing from the bell boys to the wonderful waitress at the resorts restaurant. Speaking of the restaurant the food and atmosphere were amazing. We decided to have the buffet and it was not a disappointment. Only 4 or so choices for salads or main course ..but each choice was beautifully displayed and even better tasting. We traveled with our puppy Lacey and was given a room in a wing of the resort at the very far end....which was perfect for us. Lacey being a Beagle can annoy guests but we were lucky and she was very good. The end room was next door to an exit which faced the lake with easy access to taking her outside. The lake and grounds and pool area are simply beautiful. Trails and bridges were fun to explore. The only downfall we experienced was visiting during the month of October....while the leaves were simply gorgeous the lake was lowered and not as many water crafts were being used. Can't wait to go back again and take advantage of all the gread options Stonewall has to offer.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
StonewallResortMgmt, Manager at Stonewall Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Thank you for your review of our resort. We appreciate your feedback. At the time of your stay, the US Army Corps of Engineers had lowered the water level well below normal in order to perform some maintenance items on Stonewall Jackson Dam. Those repairs are complete and the lake is now back to "winter pool" level, which is 6 feet lower than normal or "summer pool" level. Please visit us again soon!