“Expected more for the prices paid” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stonewall Resort

Stonewall Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Roanoke
Blacksburg, VA
“Expected more for the prices paid”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I was attending a conference at the hotel and after visiting the website, I was really looking forward to the destination. Throughout my stay, I kept trying to find the exceptional experiences associated with the price I was paying for the room, not to mention an additional resort fee and I just came up empty. The hotel facade was underwhelming, the website makes it look nicer than it really is. My first night was a non-conference rate which with taxes and resort fee of $15 totalled about $194. I just found it difficult to equate what I was getting with what I was paying, particularly since I wasn't able to experience any of the amenities, few that there were. Basically, there are some hiking trails and a boat (that I never saw depart the dock) along with board games and a fire pit. Of course, there is a spa (which comes with a cost) along with the golf course (which looked very nice but also comes with a cost). The room was an average room with a nice view of the lake but still had an old Zenith TV. I can't imagine staying at a resort these days without them upgrading their TVs to HD. Housekeeping was spotty, my bed one day literally just had the coverlet quickly pulled up and the bathroom was left undone, including my towel left in the tub. I thought the dining was pretty good although I spent each of my nights in TJ Muskie's lounge as I just didn't want to pay the exorbitant prices of Stillwaters. I did eat there each morning for breakfast and the food was good along with the service. There was a wonderful fireplace (with real wood burning) in the lobby which made for a great place to sit and relax. In summary, I really wanted to like this place but for the prices they charge, I just feel they need to up their game significantly. At the very least, they should elimate the resort fee.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
StonewallResortMgmt, Manager at Stonewall Resort, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our resort. We appreciate the feedback and have used it to find better ways to show value and to inform and engage our guests about activities at the resort. We also recently upgraded the television channel selection in our guest rooms as we prepare to install high definition TVs in 2013. Hopefully, you will be able to return for a visit and see for yourself.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Martinsburg,WV
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

This is my second stay here for a girls weekend. Unfortunately, some things have gone downhill since our stay 4 years ago.

The Bad - the bathroom tile was missing some of the caulking and had mold in several spots. The tile is very dated, think 70s hospital, and the tub did not drain well making the tub surface VERY slippery as there was no bath mat or anti slip strips. Carpet throughout the resort needs updated, very faded and worn in many areas. There were 2 weddings performed in the lobby, which was odd, and all resort guests had to be quiet and go through side doors and alternate pathways to their destination. Valet parking and bell service poor to nonexistent. Stillwaters restaurant was the biggest disappointment. Breakfast buffet food was fine but dinner was very average, which is likely due to the fact they have a new chef who definitely is not as good as the previous one. The young hostess was totally overwhelmed and poorly handled our seating, even with a reservation, while the older hostess was assisting someone else. And 2 out of 3 of our waiters were the worst I have had in a very long time, I started to think we were invisible!!

The Good - I cannot say enough about Ryan, who took us on our Segway tour!! He was friendly, knowledgable, fun and a great asset to the resort. Our waiter/bartender in the bar area Fri night was top notch and did an amazing job!! We were there several hours and never once felt neglected or forgotten. The hostesses at Stillwaters(other than the one very young lady)both in the morning and evening did a great job. The restaurant was busy, but they never got flustered, were always friendly and able to get people seated and comfortable as quickly as possible without seeming overwhelmed or hurried. The bedding in the rooms was updated and clean, beds
were comfortable, rooms nice size. Fire pit at night was always busy and outdoor pool is heated.

While I had a wonderful time with my friends, the resort has sadly declined. A few simple fixes, though, could bring this resort back up to par, as the grounds and activities do have a lot to offer.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. We appreciate your constructive feedback and we take your comments seriously. We have taken action on the items you mentioned in your review. Updating our fixtures and furnishings is a continual process and you can expect to see improvements when you are able to stay with us again soon.
Massillon,OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband and I went to Stonewall for a little fall getaway. We stayed two nights in the lodge. We booked a standard room with the breakfast buffet. Even with the resort fee, which they are very upfront about, our room was very reasonably priced. I found everything to be very clean, and the staff very friendly. I enjoyed the pool and hot tub. Even though it was rather cool outside,we were able to use the outdoor hot tub. The breakfast buffet was very nice, and the wait staff was very attentive,even at breakfast. I wasn't exactly a fan of the dinner buffet,though. Next time I would order off the menu. The burgers in TJMuskies were very good though. Next time I plan to try out the cabins.

Room Tip: We got the standard room at the Fall Bed and Breakfast rate. The difference between the lake view ro...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. We appreciate the compliments! Come back and see us again soon!
Oakton, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Just returned from a wonderful weekend with a group of friends. We rented a cottage on the lake, it was quiet and relaxing. The golf course has breathtaking views, and is very well manicured. The Lightburn restaurant situated on the 18th hole has a panoramic view of the lake and lodge. This was a great find!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Travler1930
Thank you! Please visit us again soon!
Avalon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights for our Wedding Anniversary. It was mid September and I imagine this was the tail end of the resort's busy season, which was okay with us because it seemed very tranquil and not overcrowded.

We had dinner at Stillwaters on one night and the service was excellent. We had the $25 buffet and I seemed like a reasonable deal for what we ate. Buffet included steak, chicken, rice, veggies, soup and some notable delicious apple pie deserts. I like the fact that when we were done with our meal we were free to walk about the resort with our wine or beer.

My wife and I also did the Segway tour on Saturday. The trail guide was extremely friendly and more than willing to take a few photos of us. My only wish is that the trail was a little longer. I feel like we spent more time in the parking lot learning to ride rather than enjoying a nature trail.

We spent the last night swimming in the heated pool and hottubs. It would be nice if you could have drink with you while in the hottub, but I can understand why some resorts don't allow this.

My only complaint would be that the carpet in room a little dirty. There were a lot of water stains and some of the carpet was frayed and tattered where the love seat was. It sorely needed replaced. Other than that I think we will return, perhaps we'll get a cottage in mid summer.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Munhaulin
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at our resort. We appreciate your compliments and our staff was thrilled to hear you were pleased with your experience. We have taken action on the items you mention in your review and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Roanoke, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

My boyfriend took me to the Stonewall Resort for my birthday. I had found this place online a few months earlier and thought it looked like a nice place to check out. I knew from reading the reviews not to expect an upscale type place, but we were more interested in being in a secluded location and spending time outside. We had initially booked a King lake view room at the AAA rate, but later switched to the Fall Bed & Breakfast package when it was made available.

We arrived on Friday afternoon right at check-in time. We had previously requested a quiet room away from the elevators. We had also requested a refrigerator in our room. Upon check-in, we were told that the fridge was already in our room; however, once we arrived in our room, we discovered that we were quite close to the elevators and overlooking the pool. The front desk staff was very accommodating when we asked to change to another room, and placed us on the other side of the lodge in the last room at the end of the hall. They also had the refrigerator moved. We were much happier with our new room location, but wondered why the request made at the time of the reservation hadn’t simply been honored to begin with.

As other reviewers have noted, the rooms are clean and simple with no frills or touches of luxury. This was OK with us, as we knew to expect it based on the reviews. Having looked forward to having windows that open, we were disappointed that mechanisms were in place to prevent opening them more than about 4 inches or so.

We had dinner in Stillwaters on the first evening. Again, a request made at the time of our reservation was ignored, as my boyfriend had asked for a quiet table for two on the lake side and we were shown to a table for four right next to the buffet. We asked to be moved and were told that a table for two by the windows had been “reserved.” We stated that we, too, had made this request in our reservation, and eventually, we were accommodated. We were once again pleased that the staff made an effort to be accommodating but again, rather annoyed that requests made in advance of our arrival were initially ignored.

We both had the dinner buffet, which is $25. Given the entrée prices on the menu, this is the best value and we both thought the food was fine. It was not amazing food, but was good and there was an ample selection of entrees, side items, and desserts. Our server was pleasant and was happy to take a couple of photos of us, since we were celebrating my birthday. He also advised that if we did not finish our wine at dinner, we were welcome to take it with us, along with our wine glasses.

After dinner, we ventured outside to the fire pit on the back patio, where a number of people were gathering. A DJ was playing terrible music; however the music selection continued to improve and got into a decent mix of classic rock and 80s hits. We noticed some folks had bought the s’mores kits, but we’d had dessert with dinner so we opted out. We had noticed earlier in the day on the activity schedule in the lobby that there was a wedding taking place at the hotel that weekend, and realized that many of the people on the back patio and around the fire were wedding attendees or part of the wedding party. It wasn’t clear whether the DJ was hired as part of the post-rehearsal dinner activity, or whether the hotel had brought him in. When the mother of the bride and a couple of cohorts got up and sang a song about the bride to the tune of the Brady Bunch theme, mentioning “Jager shots” and “she’s really hot,” we took it as our cue to move on. That was confirmed when the DJ switched to dance music and the wedding crowd became more and more boisterous. We headed up to our room, where, unfortunately, we could still hear the music and the partying crowd which continued until 11:30 pm. Not exactly what we had expected from a tucked-away resort.

On Saturday, we visited Stillwaters for breakfast as part of our package. We had the breakfast buffet which, like the dinner buffet, contained a good assortment of food options. Apparently the buffet price is $14, but it was included in our room. We learned that beverages were included, which was nice, and we were even able to get some hot chocolate to go. On Saturday we took a walk around the resort, including the boardwalk, and we also went for a hike to Chipmunk Point, one of the available trails. We drove up to Lightburns to see the view from there, and took a look at the menu which looked nice, though we ended up not eating there. We took the 2pm ride on the Little Sorrel, which was pleasant.

One thing we noticed from all of our time spent walking, hiking, and looking around the resort and park is that there was nothing special about the grounds. It would appear that the only thing maintained on a regular basis is the golf course, which appeared from a distance to be well-kept. I’m sure the lawn around the lodge is regularly mowed, but it is far from lush or well-seeded. There is very little landscaping and mostly, there are just plenty of wild weeds growing around the grounds. Perhaps this is intended to add to the “rustic” nature of the place. There were some decent views in the distance, but the actual resort grounds themselves were not especially attractive. The photos on the website are quite likely from when the lodge first opened. Overall the place could use quite a bit of updating inside and out.

Saturday afternoon, we had some strange experiences with someone trying to access our room with a key (while we were in it) and a little while later, having someone knock on the door asking if his mom was in our room (totally ignoring the “Do Not Disturb” sign hung on the door).

Saturday late afternoon and evening, we hung out at TJ Muskies to watch football and have a casual dinner. TJ Muskies food was fine. We noticed some folks bringing food from Stillwaters into TJ Muskies. I wish they would enforce a “shirt and shoes required” rule, as a guy came in from the pool in only swim trunks to get a drink. It just seemed kind of gross, and the weekend manager was around but didn’t seem to notice or care. Speaking of football, this place is Mountaineers territory through and through, so much so that the front desk, Lightburns, and TJ Muskies staff were all wearing Mountaineers jerseys on Friday and Saturday. That was a bit unexpected and definitely added to the impression that the Stonewall Resort is quite a casual place. We also had to avoid the lobby for a portion of the evening because the wedding ceremony took place there (while the reception was in a ballroom, along with a high school reunion). We were quite surprised (and a bit impressed) that all of the lobby furniture was removed for part of Saturday in order to accommodate rows of seating for the wedding guests, then quickly replaced after the ceremony.

After we finished our food in TJ Muskies, we had planned to head out to the fire pit again. We knew there was going to be some live music, and we figured that the post-wedding reception and post-reunion crowds would likely take over the area later in the evening, so we went out fairly early. We brought some wine and a blanket. The atmosphere was nice early on, with the exception of about 30 minutes of mostly unnecessary sound checks from the bluegrass band. Really, you’re playing on a hotel patio! A couple of people gathered around the fire were even annoyed enough to call things out to the band about moving on with the music. Once the band finally got started, we didn’t hate them (though we are not big bluegrass people) but the volume was turned up too loud to really enjoy it. After about 4 songs, we decided we’d had enough and headed back to our room around 9:30. The fire was nice, but on both nights it was definitely a party atmosphere rather than a relaxing one.

Sunday morning we did the breakfast buffet once again and then departed right around check-out time. At that point we had seen and done enough of the Stonewall Resort. Our conclusion is that this is an affordable, casual destination that is not on par with what the term “resort” calls to mind, but was an enjoyable enough place to visit. I would not choose to return, because I have a different idea of what I want in a vacation. If I were going back, I would definitely want to visit on a weekend when a wedding wasn’t being held. It definitely felt as though the wedding attendees had kind of taken over the place and we felt like we were in the middle of someone else’s party. That said, the staff were friendly and accommodating, and we were pleased to note that we were not charged for the refrigerator in our room.

Room Tip: I don't think it was worth being in a lake view room. The view is nothing special, and If you...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank VirginiaWine
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. We appreciate your constructive feedback and have been using it to find ways to improve future guest experiences at Stonewall Resort. We hope you will consider us for another stay the next time you are in our area.
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

It is so peaceful there, and beauty is all around. There are alot of activities to do, trails to walk, food to eat. The staff are very friendly. The food is very tasty too. I am not a big fan of the rubber cover on the mattress. That is my biggest complaint. I did not sleep comfortably. Aside from that I would come back again, and hopefully soon!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
StonewallResortMgmt, Manager at Stonewall Resort, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Thank you for the review of your stay. It was our pleasure to serve you. The rubber mattress covers at the resort are limited to our pet friendly rooms. I will meet with our housekeeping director to see if there are different approaches we can consider for those rooms. We want all our guests to have a great night of sleep!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roanoke
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Weston
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Buckhannon
Hampton Inn Buckhannon
Hampton Inn Buckhannon
#2 of 7 in Buckhannon

Been to Stonewall Resort? Share your experiences!