“Spectacular natural beauty”
Review of Spruce Knob

Spruce Knob
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Riverton
Reviewed October 6, 2013

A trip to Spruce Knob demonstrates WV's natural beauty and wonder. On a clear day you can see for miles. Be aware of the weather as it can be dramatically different on the Seneca Rock side of the mountain. There are two ways to get to Spruce Knob - one way is generally on a gravel road and goes through Whitmer and Gandy Creek Camping area; the other way is an asphalt road off route 33/28 near Riverton. We went up on the gravel road and down on the paved road. The man made Spruce Knob Lake is very pretty - especially this time of year when the leaves are changing. The leaves probably change 2 weeks earlier on Spruce Knob as it is 4,800 feet. Spruce Knob is worth a Sunday drive for spectacular views of the WV mountains.

There are newer reviews for Spruce Knob

Reviewed September 30, 2013

I was down this way for work one day, so being so close, I had to visit the highest point in WV. I actually liked the views from the 1st pull-off better than from the overlook mountain. In my opinion, the trees had grown up so much, the view was compromised. Seeing the earlier review, I think those back roads are by the Seneca Lake. I travel crazy back roads for work, and that's the way I went up. I also loved the sign at the bottom of the paved road, saying that there was no snow removal from this point forward, my GPS said there were still 7 miles to go. Don't visit during the winter, obviously! :)

1  Thank ChassidyK
Reviewed August 21, 2013

It's a beautiful view from the highest point in West Virginia. This was our second trip there, and we just had to go up again. Once you get parked, there's a short trail loop that takes you around the top, and to the observation deck. The views are excellent. The kids loved the view as well, but most of all, they loved all the rocks there were to climb on. There are plenty to explore on. Just watch your footing, some are wobbly.

Now, little did we know there are two ways up to the top. The first time we went, we went up from Seneca Rocks where the road was pretty much paved the whole way. This time, we came from Elkins and our GPS had us go some crazy back woods route. The roads were gravel most of the way, with lots of pot holes. There are occasional signs to let you know you are going the right way and once you get part way up the mountain, you do reach paved roads. It made some of our group a little nervous. And when it was time to come back down, we decided to take the paved way back down towards Seneca rocks.

It's well worth the trip. I think we spent about 2 hours on it all (including drive time).

Reviewed August 20, 2013

There have only been a handful of people here every time I have visited, which I think is 5x now. the views are tremendous, it is so peaceful and quiet. we have come both mid-day and later in the day, watching the sun set is a great experience. also the only spot anywhere in the area with signal to Verizon cell phones.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

It's a long way up but the view is worth the drive. No services other than a toilet and water. 900 feet walk from the parking area to a lookout structure.

1  Thank ex-staffer