“Well worth considering”

Holiday Inn Express Princeton / I-77
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Reviewed July 11, 2011

The hotel is just off I-77, and there are quite a few restaurants around. We were greeted in a warm and friendly manner. As others have stated, the room was quite clean and acceptable. We had flat-screen TVs both times in July we stayed at the hotel, despite what a previous rater said. We appreciated the AAA discount, too. Each comfortable queen-size bed comes with four pillows--two soft and two firm.

Some people might like to know more specifics about the breakfast. It was VERY nice. Here's what we can remember: scrambled eggs and sausage, biscuits and gravy, pancakes, a variety of cereals, oatmeal, bagels, English muffins, toast, cinnamon rolls, orange juice and other juices, coffee, tea, whole milk, 2% milk, chocolate milk, fat-free milk, yogurt, and bananas. Very attentive staff members do an excellent job of keeping things available.

The only thing preventing us from giving this otherwise excellent hotel the top rating was the fact that on our second visit, one of the two keys did not work at all, even after being re-programmed. Much worse than that was the fact that the other key failed over and over to open the door at the rear of the hotel. We had just had a drive of 435 miles and it was exasperating to have the key fail some 15-20 times before finally causing the little green light to come on and the door to be ready to open. This is something the hotel needs to get on right away.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TwoCarolinians

Reviewed May 12, 2011

This Holiday Inn Express epitomizes a Holiday Inn Express, and I think that's a great thing. When I checked in I was greeted by a friendly employee who explained the hotel's amenities, my room was clean and as I expected it, the pool area was open and enjoyable, and I got to treat myself to some chocolate chip cookies.

This did seem like a slightly older location, though. The beds were harder than those at newer locations. The TVs were also older. Although neither of these things really detracted from my comfort. Probably the best feature of this property is the pool and hot tub! You don't even need to get out of the pool to enter the hot tub and vice versa. I hadn't seen that before but it's really cool!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank eightwednesday
Reviewed May 1, 2011

Easy off I-77, close to WV-VA state line. Near numerous chain fast food, and casual sit down restaurants, shopping, and gas stations, this Holiday Inn Express is what you would expect if you have stayed at others - clean, quiet, and reasonably priced. My only complaint is that the room furnishings were somewhat dated-no flat screen TV's, older cabinet, and in general need of modernization. Nothing terrible, just a bit worn. However, the breakfast room is larger and more comfortable than the usual HIE space-with a somewhat greater selection of foods available. Lots of parking, friendly staff, and better lighting than you usually find in the bathroom all contribute to a positive rating here at the Holiday Inn Express, Princeton WV.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RML-OH
Reviewed March 23, 2011

We too stopped at this hotel on the way home from Florida. As others have mentioned, it is convienient to the interstate, with ample parking and many restaurant choices nearby.

The hotel itself is clean and seems fairly new. The staff seemed OK to us, and not exceedingly friendly as others have pointed out.

Maybe it was because we were tired and on our way home, but it just seemed that the hotel did not have a warm feel to it.

Long story short, another typical "cookie cutter" HIX, which there is nothing wrong with.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank ToSquareBob1
Reviewed March 4, 2011

We were doing the 24 hour drive back from orlando florida, knowing we would stop for the night but not sure of the location. We started calling hotels in the Princeton area, very few available to meet our needs. We finally called Margaret at Holiday inn express.
She knew exactly what we needed, booked rooms and even booked a third room at another hotel for us when she ran out of available rooms.
The hotel was clean, pool and hottub spotless and much needed after 12 hours on the road. Margaret, you made my day! Keep up the great work...you are a credit to that hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Jandaonvacation
Reviewed February 28, 2011

Hotel was easy to find with a ton of resturants within eye-sight.

Lady at the front desk was very professional and welcomed our cat as well.

My wife enjoyed the complimentary cookies.I passed on them, but they looked good.

Room was clean and quiet, especially considering its proximaty to the interstate.

Sounds silly, but the pillows were way too soft for my liking.

Wifi performance and range was very good.

The free breakfast wasn't too bad.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2011

First the pros: this hotel was very clean and the front desk staff was friendly. Now the cons: the pool was tiny, the noise kept us up all night, the breakfast was mediocre, and the heat was uncomfortable.
Although this Holiday Inn Express was very clean, I would not stay here again due to all the noise. The walls are clearly not well-insulated, since I could hear every move my neighbors above and to the sides made. All night the slamming of doors was annoying. I don't think anyone was doing anything unusual, there was just constant noise.
Also, the heat was either on or off--no thermostat control--so it was either freezing or blazing hot in our room. This was very uncomfortable for sleeping.
Third, the pool was tiny and unbearable warm. It was crowded after five people got in it.
Lastly, the breakfast was limited and only mediocre. There was not enough seating for all the people wanting to eat, and the food kept running out.
Overall, this Holiday Inn is just average.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family