All reviewspopcorn machinewithin walking distancecracker barrelwest virginiaroom was cleanparking lottexas steakhousecomplimentary breakfastbreakfast staffno exceptionwould stay here againfresh fruitthe breakfast areawe've stayedstaff was friendlyeasy accessvery nice hotel
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Best place to stay if you are headed to Winterplace, just passing through or have business in the area. Closer to Winterplace than Beckley and no toll roads in-between. Adequate parking, indoor pool, restaurants nearby, nice accommodations. We had a great stay!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We were on a two day dash to Florida from Canada, and not seeking out the best of the best for our short overnight stay. Nonetheless, that is what we got. From the friendly and professional check-in (and out), to the king-sized bedroom, it was a superb experience. The bedding was crisp, yet soft; the mattress and pillows were perfect; and the duvet light yet cosy. Large screen TV, in-room Wi-Fi, and absolutely no neighborly noise made for the perfect road-side hotel. And right next door was a great restaurant for dinner. The included hotel breakfast was fresh, tasty and provided both fresh and cooked options. The buffet was closely monitored by staff, and refreshed/refilled as needed. If we travel this way again, we will definitely plan to stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed at this Hampton Inn with our Church Youth Group on a busy ski weekend. The location is very convenient, just off the highway and close to several restaurants and some shopping in case you forgot to pack any essentials. The rooms are not large, but were well appointed and clean and comfortable. The breakfast area was very nice, even when it was crowded. The selection was decent. They really need to replace their waffle maker, which everyone knows is a popular item.

The staff was very nice and even allowed us to sit in the breakfast area and play board games with the kids on Saturday night.

My only reasons for giving this property a 4 instead of a 5 were the noise level (I really have a pet peeve about hotels that are not built to be quieter... it's very annoying to hear all the car noise outside and the guests in the rooms around you when you are trying to sleep) and also we requested adjoining rooms (because we were travelling with the youth group) and they did not fulfill that request.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 4NCtravellers
Reviewed January 24, 2013

To be fair, this is not a location you're likely to end up at unless weather conditions or interstate congestion puts you here. Having said that, the property is clean,neat, overpriced by about 20% but that's the same as any number of Hilton chain properties.
Room was clean & comfy (someplace to hang one's clothes other than hook at back of door might have been nice?), Front Desk staff were polite and helpful, and TaahDaah it's right next to a Cracker Barrel!

We compared notes with several other couples stranded by weather that night and unquestionably the Hampton was the best choice around. Whether it was worth the 20% premium? Well, - maybe!

Room Tip: outlying rooms were COLD
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here the night of January 18th, with plans to ski at nearby Winter place. There were some special circumstances, however. There was a snowstorm the night of January 17th and we were stranded on the interstate until 2am (north and southbound traffic at a complete stop for several hours due to multiple accidents and closing of Big Walker Mountain tunnel and the tunnel at the VA/WV state line on I-77) and had spent part of the night on the floor of the lobby at the Hampton Inn in Wytheville, VA (ALL rooms full, let us and several stranded travelers do this). My daughter and I arrived at this Hampton at about 11am, exhausted, and I KNEW this Hampton (like all the hotels in the area around I-77 VA/WV state line) had been PACKED FULL the night of the 17th. Aiesha was working the front desk, and was very understanding about our situation. She let us wait in the lobby until the first available room was clean and ready (about 11:50 am) and let us check in right away (even though check OUT is at 12:00 and check IN isn't until 3:00 or 4:00). After a shower, my daughter and I took naps in the EXTREMELY comfortable bed with the nice, clean duvet cover. We were able to get a few hours of skiing in at Winterplace that evening and a good night's sleep that night. Extra outlets were great, room was clean, bed super-awesome. Two TINY "wishes" - first, I'd suggest the hotel replace the window shades in the rooms with something quieter - VERY loud when opening and closing shades (and can hear in other rooms). Also, I'd like them to consider adding a hot tub to the indoor pool area. After skiing (and I'd guess a number of Winter place goers stay here) a hot tub would be lovely, and some of the other hotels in the area have indoor hot tubs in addition to an indoor pool. But, will stay here again the next time I get the nerve to brave I-77 in the wintertime.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family