“Worth the stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Newport News, Virginia
“Worth the stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

This hotel was emaculate. From the outside to the inside. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The rooms were equipped with everything you need. From iron to iron board. Coffe pot and cofee. To Wi-FI to cable. The beds were so comfortable. Indeed you would get an good night rest. The continental breakfast was also convinet as the location were you can go out to eat or load up on gas or if you forgot something at home they also had stores where you can pick things up. There was also some atrractions to view. The only problem I had was at checkout timewhen I asked the desk clerk was my triple A used and she did not seem to act like she did not have any knowledge if it was used or not. They should be able to look up your info and see if they used it or not. Overall, My family had an wonderful stay and I did not have to worry about my children walking on the carpet or being safe like at the Econo lodge in Bluefield. The price was reasonable and personally I think you will enjoy your stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank customer17

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

I did not have high expectations for this hotel. I booked the room through Priceline which is always a gamble, and I had never heard of this chain. However, when I checked in, the front desk clerk was pleasant and helpful. The room was small (which this chain is known for, apparently), which I actually liked. I HATE paying $100+ for a huge room that I'm just going to sleep in for 6-8 hours and then leave. That's a lotta $$ to sleep! If I was on vacation or traveling with family I might want more room, but as a business traveler that just needs to get off the road for a few hours I appreciate that this was a clean, basic room with a bed, all I wanted or needed.

I do have an issue with the bathroom. The tub had hair in it. Such a simple thing to clean, but obviously not done. I'm not going to bash the whole stay because of it, though. The rest of the room was fine, and I loved the window seat! The TV was nice, the A/C worked great, and the bed was COMFY!!! If I'd come in my truck I might have taken the mattress home with me!

The breakfast was light but sufficient. Yogurt cups, pastries, mini-muffins, bagels, cereal, coffee, juice and milk. Some fruit would have been nice. The breakfast room was clean and organized.

I was apprehensive about the strip club next door (!!!)....but it turned out to be a non-issue. Traffic was not a problem and I never heard any noise from it all night. In fact, I never heard any noise from inside the hotel either. I was on the third floor and it was QUIET. Hotel had quite a few guests, too, but not a peep! Maybe I was just so tired and the bed was so comfy that I slept so good so I never heard anything.........but I doubt it. My number one complaint about hotels in general is noise, be it from other rooms, or hallway noise. I'm very sensitive to it, so I think I would have heard noise if there had been any.

I did not get a room with a fridge/microwave. I don't know if this is because it was a Priceline room or if they were just sold out when I checked in late (this is what I was told, anyway).

Overall, I was very pleasantly surprised with this hotel and I will definitely come back!

Room Tip: Call ahead to request a room with fridge/microwave if you need it.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Sharon E
Fort Worth, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

Our expectations were not high, but we thought this hotel was fairly new and so would at least be clean and properly furnished. Our carpet was filthy, and our towels were thin and stained. The bed was comfortable enough, but I chose not to inspect it too closely. We had several family members staying here for our family reunion, and none of them ever want to go back to this hotel! One cousin found her room still not cleaned even though she was allowed to check in, and the manager made the desk clerk go clean the room for them! My sister's room didn't have the advertised refrigerator, so the desk clerk opened an unoccupied room and allowed my brother-in-law to take the refrigerator from there to his room. Needless to say, several more similar stories, but bottom line is that we will stay elsewhere next year!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Winston Salem, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

Nice facility, lacking on basic necessities. Three of us stayed here one night. We were provided with one set of towels and had to visit the front desk for more. We were told they may not have any clean, and we might have to wait! The sleeper sofa mattress was a disaster! Very dirty and no linens provided in the room. The night manager was kind enough to bring us a set and two mattress pads to cover up the filth. With staff retraining and better housekeeping, this could be a nice place to stay. Breakfast was good, and the dining area was clean

Room Tip: Book one week in advance for a discount.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Tattyplatypus, Franchisor- Director of Operations at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Princeton, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
I appreciate your comments and am working with the hotel to improve the guest experience. Your feedback is very valuable to us and please know that the owner of the hotel has made some personnel changes to address the issues that you mentioned. He is also committed to providing the best possible experience, including replacement of worn/damaged furniture or equipment. Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback and I do sincerely hope that you will allow us the opportunity to showcase our improvements to you on a return visit.
Lake Lure, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

We travel a lot through West Virginia and try to stay at Microtel Inn and Suites for a consistent service standard. Last minute reservation are the worse, but the gentleman at the desk was extremely helpful.
The room was clean but hair in the bathroom everywhere.(Shower, sink). I ended up cleaning the bath tub again before using it.
The next morning we went out for breakfast and we were shocked. Staying in Microtel Inn in varies location to see the waffle maker for a fresh bagel exchanged for a frozen ego waffle. (YUK!!) The fresh bagels traded in for frozen extra small bagels. I felt cheated.. I can overlook the location down the hill from a Strip Club but I felt like a cheap hooker staying there.
Swimming Pool for was nasty. Mold in certain locations and the smell of the chemicals burned my eyes. Like with most indoor pools, need to invest in a ventilation system.
Let me start by saying this is not the standard. If I had not stayed at other locations, to know that this is not the standard it may be different. But I know that the location was not up to par.....

Room Tip: Online reservations always get the cheapest rate.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Hartland, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

Arrived at this hotel after an eight hour road trip with family of four and a small dog. First off no toilet paper in room. Carpet in room was absolutely filthy. Sheets on bed were dirty. If we weren't so exhausted we would have gone elsewhere. also side door right next to our room was unlocked day and night. Breakfast ha-ha. Where was it. I found coffee and some frozen waffles. No thanks. Also the ice machine did not work as well as the gym and the hot tub. We did not try the small pool as the note about the pool on the front entrance turned us off. I felt we were taking our health in our own hands just by staying in the room I felt the pool would be pushing the envelope too much. Dirty bathroom, dirty shower curtain. Just plain nasty. Never, never consider this place for your own good.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank hartlandmom11
Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

The carpeting in our room was stained and dirty, the bathroom floor had dust bunnies, the complimentary breakfast Spartan, the valve on the shower didn't work correctly but this wasn't the worst part of our visit. The worst part was the toilet wasn't vented properly and did not flush correctly. This problem should have been corrected by the builder before any occupancy, I do not understand the hotel allowing a problem like this exist. I would not recommend this hotel for anyone. Didn't check out the pool as there was a sign on the door asking people not to defecate in it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family