All reviewshorseback ridingmckeever lodgepipestem resortmountain creekgolf coursenature centerindoor poolhiking trailsbluestone dining roomwest virginiathe main lodgegorge view roomsaw deergift shopaerial tramrelaxing place to staybit dated
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stayed in a cabin for two nights and in the lodge for another two nights. We were not disappointed with the price at all. The cabin price was reduced and the lodge was half off, since it was still their off season.

The cabin was nestled in the back of the group, so we had more peace and less traffic around us. The outside looks like a pod building, with fairly generic design elements, but the inside looks and feels like a cabin. It was well-equipped for our family, and there was plenty of cut firewood available on a rack outside. Simple fun!

The lodge room was a bit smaller than anticipated, but the view more than makes up for any disappointment. We were overlooking the valley, and there were deer everywhere. It snowed while we were there, so we had a fantastic view of mother nature's wonder. We were on the same floor as the pool and game room (great for family ease), so that made it really easy to make the most of their facilities while it was snowing outdoors.

We hiked around the lake, visited the nature center, played putt-putt (free during a special) and had a blast exploring other nearby parks. They have a couple of different gift shops with some great souvenirs (some you'll want to keep for yourself) at great prices. The dining available is good, too.

We plan to return!!!

Room Tip: Our cabin was nestled in the back of the grouping - I recommend asking to be away from the main road for more peace and less traffic. Our lodge room was facing the valley - get as high as you can for the best views. The lobby is not on the 1st floor, since the building is on the side of the hill. Traveling with a family? I recommend asking for the floor where the pool and playroom are located. On a romantic getaway or want peace and quiet - ask to NOT be on the same floor as the pool.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Was at the McKeever Lodge for two nights for a family reunion. Plenty to do at Park, great small towns to visit. However, the cook needs to be let go!! The food was terrible and overpriced!!! Either the food had no taste or it was over seasoned that you couldn't eat it. I had the breakfast buffet one morning and I thought no one could mess up breakfast food but they did. Also, the evening meal was terrible. I got a slice of roast beef and it was mushy. my last night there I decided to order off the menu and ordered the meatloaf. I don't know what I got but it wasn't very good. I could only eat two bites and I went back on seconds to the salad bar. So, I paid $18.00 for two plates of salad.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Andrew B
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Stayed at McKeever Lodge for two nights for a family event (parents/grandparents are from WV). Beautiful views. Nice property in terms of land, trails, other "outside" stuff. The hotel, however, leaves much to be desired. I have rated it average, but that is generous. It is not poor either. Somewhere in between. It is old. Very old. It needs extensive renovating and updating. The entire hotel smells old . . . it is the same smell I remember my grandparents' homes having. Maybe that is just how WV smells.

Our room (a standard) was small. The bathroom was absurd. No space to put toiletries. Basic shower - not even one of those curved show curtians to give the impression of space. The bed was surprisingly comfortable, but the pillows were small, flat, and few. The decor was horrid - lodge decor does not have to be ugly. Wifi was free but unreliable.

Common areas: elevators were dreadfully slow. Plenty of seating throughout indoor areas, though the color scheme was odd and just not well done. Hands down the best part of the resort is the deck off of the observation hallway. It would be a wonderful area to relax in the mornings and evenings if only there were more than EIGHT chairs for that entire huge deck . . . not sure what they were thinking with the lack of seating here. game room and indoor pool are great for the kids.

We ate at the bluestone restaurant for one dinner and one breakfast. Buffet is disgusting. Off the menu is better, though not great. AFter that we ate off property.

This is basically one step up from camping. Your average hampton inn is quite a bit nicer than this. If you have to be in that area, it is a good option, but only due to the fact that there are not a lot of good options.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view. That is the only selling point for this hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 14, 2014

We rented a two bedroom cabin which had beautiful wood floors and ceilings. The kitchen and living room was nicely appointed. One bedroom contained a queen bed and the other two single beds. A lovely fireplace is also usable.

Room Tip: I believe all the cabins are similar. I have not seen the rooms in the lodge but I understand they have a great view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ray-n-Sol
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We stayed at Mountain Creek Lodge which is only accessible by using the tram. The tram ride is fun and you see great views of the mountains surrounding the park. Once you arrive at the lodge it is quiet and peaceful since it is so secluded.The Bluestone River flows right by the front of the lodge which is beautiful and it is fun for the kids trying to catch a fish or skip stones. There is a playground for children, a gift shop, and a game room. There is a restaurant there as well but it is only open for dinner and you have to make a reservation. We were unable to get a reservation during our stay because it was so busy. We ate at the dining room at McKeever Lodge for most of our meals. The food was okay ( choice of buffet or order from menu) and the service was average. We recommend leaving the park and eating at Brandon's ( just across from the park entrance) or traveling into Princeton for a variety of restaurants. Overall, it was a nice weekend and we plan to return soon.

Room Tip: All of the rooms at Mountain Creek Lodge have a great view of the river and own private balcony.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family