WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“A Jewel in the Mountains!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pipestem Resort State Park

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pipestem
Pipestem Resort State Park
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pipestem
Charleston, SC
“A Jewel in the Mountains!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

I found this resort while looking for a halfway point between Ohio (where my husband is working) and SC (where we live). I wanted a hotel near a golf course. My husband and I agree, this was one of our luckiest finds. This resort was more than we hoped for. The room was clean, the view was amazing and the price was remarkable. $99 for a gorge view with a senior discount to boot! The 18 hole golf course was in perfect condition. The 9 hole Par 3 was challenging (most holes were at least 200 yds.) and in perfect condition. The greens on both courses were better than most Country Club courses I've played. There is a club house and carts available at both courses.

There is an indoor and an outdoor pool. At McKeever Lodge, where we stayed, there is a game room that includes billiards, ping pong, shuffle board, video games and a photo booth. There is an exercise room and saunas. There's a main dining room with buffet and fixed menu choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There's even a reading nook with a coffee/cappuccino machine.

Have I mentioned how wonderful this resort is? And, the staff was friendly and attentive. Whatever I've forgotten to mention, it's there. A beautiful tram ride across the Gorge takes you to a gourmet restaurant overlooking a running mountain stream where there is also fishing. While we were there, there was a Gospel music performance at the amphitheater. Did I mention horseback riding and archery? And, lots of walking/hiking trails.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Gorge at McKeever Lodge.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CFCCharleston_SC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in one of the cottages last week and enjoyed every second! It was clean, remodeled and even had firewood waiting for us. We got take out from the lodge and really enjoyed the food. We will certainly be back!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank RachelH872
Charleston, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

I went back to Pipestem Resort last weekend after 30 years and can tell you that the reason to go hasn't changed .... fabulous view, nice staff and an opportunity to rest and relax. It's a good place to hold a meeting as well which is why I went: state convention of Lions International. My original visits were when the resort was fairly new so you'll have to overlook the small baths, vestiges of age ... but everything was clean, food was good and the view ... did I tell you about the view and being back to nature? Not that I'm a nature kinda guy. I'm more of a Marriott dude ... so if you are, note that you can stay in the lodge for the hotel feel but yet step out into many wilderness adventures (which I naturally didn't partake of) ... and very reasonably priced. Fact is, I've even thought of dropping by some weekend just for the heck of it ... who knows. Overall, I was very pleased to reacquaint myself with this really cool place in the mountains. Try it.

Room Tip: The lodge is built on the side of a mountain so you enter the lobby on the 5th floor. A 1st floor ro...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank WVUTom
Goode, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

I have had the pleasure of going to Pipestem for the past 20 years. The views are tremendous, the people are fantastic and we have made many friends with them. The food is not great but doable and if you don't like it, go to Brandon's BBQ or the Dairy Queen in Hinton or New River Valley Kitchen down below Dairy Queen. As far as the rooms, they are remodeling and are doing a good job. Our recent stay (May 24th-27th) was very nice, room was updated and comfortable. The bathrooms are small, but they always have been and we have managed. They serve the purpose. Yes the kids (mainly) make noise as they run down the halls, but they are having fun and are outside playing instead of holed up playing video games. Its used to sleep because there are way too many great things to be doing outside. If you want a Ritz Charlton hotel, go to Ritz Charlton. If you want simple yet practical, come to Pipestem. Look forward to my next stay in Auguest.

Room Tip: Gorge view for sure
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Kathy W
Trinity, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Our first trip to Pipestem, specifically the Mountain Creek Lodge, probably won't be our last. We met friends from VA and SC (our home is OH). The views and hiking were wonderful. The staff excellent. The restaurant at the Mountain Creek level was very good. A meal at McKeever was less than special (but not horrible; just really slow). The walls are paper thin. Even easy sleepers need to pack earplugs. A day trip to the New River Gorge area was really fun. We would recommend Ace's zip line or the Bridgewalk!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

It's a decent price. The noisiness mentioned in other reviews are pretty accurate. The views are fantastic as are the hiking trails. I would not under any circumstances eat here again. We gave it two tries. One each dinner and breakfast. When the dining room was near empty service was horrible and when full even worse. Tables were just left with dirty dishes stacking up and left that way until needing cleaned to sest someone. The food was tasteless. They were also out of a number of items. My advice, stay somewhere else and come enjoy the park

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank The S
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Went here for my high school reunion. Rooms have gorgeous views. Breakfast buffet was very good. I can't eat dairy and they provided eggbeaters. Nice cottages are close to the lodge. Recommend checking out the Lookout Tower for very nice views. Even had snow this time of year! Wow. Saw lots of deer. Would return in May to ride tram and golf. Challenging par 3 course here. Nice place for family. Cottages and playground on site close to lodge.

Room Tip: Ask for a gorge view and book higher floors in McKeever Lodge.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Carol F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pipestem
The Resort at Glade Springs
#2 of 15 in Princeton
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#4 of 15 in Princeton

Been to Pipestem Resort State Park? Share your experiences!