“Excellent - clean, updated, nice staff!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fort Hill Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Petersburg
Fort Hill Motel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Petersburg
Phila, PA
“Excellent - clean, updated, nice staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

This place is a great example of why Tripadvisor may bring back the "roadside motel"! So often we pass by the "little guy" in favor of a chain simply because we think we know what we can expect from the chain while the "little guy" is (was) such an unknown. But, because I read the reviews here I felt very confident checking in to the Fort Hill Motel and things were even better than I expected after reading all those great reviews! From what I can tell, all of the facilities have been updated (the work is quality, not just "lipstick on a pig"). Everything was clean, clean, clean (but without smelling like stinky cleaning products that just create new icky smells) and everything worked as it should (fridge, a/c, TV, lights, etc.). I would have liked more water pressure at the shower head, but that is the only complaint I can think of! Having some restaurants within walking distance would have been nice, but we brought back pizza and we sat in the gazebo to eat dinner with a view that couldn't be matched by any restaurant! We'd like to go back with the kid because we think she'd really like the pool, tetherball, horseshoes, etc. that make this roadside motel a very nice destination (or "home base") in itself.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Red House, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here 3 times. It is a great place to stay. The kids love the pool since they usually have it to themselves. Very peaceful and relaxing. Within a couple hrs drive of most WV travel destinations. Highly recommend to anyone traveling to the WV mountains.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Westbrook, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

We arrived on a motorcycle and were most pleasantly surprised. The rate was fair, there were towels outside for use by bikers, bottles of water and soft drinks were available for purchase in the lobby and there were inexpensive co-op laundry machines on the premises. The entire motel was smoke free, inside and outside. There was a small swimming pool behind our room. The room was clean and quiet. The bed was comfortable and we enjoyed a great night's sleep. There were also restaurants nearby for breakfast and dinner.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hampstead, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

I was in Petersburg, WV for work related travel. This hotel is the closest to where I needed to be. For a one night stay the room served its purpose. The room is small, if I was with another person it would have been too crowded. I don't smoke so I am not bothered with their strict "non-smoking," or "no-pets" policy. I notice they did not provide shampoo, just hand and body soap. I always bring shampoo in my travels due to hotel shampoos is very harsh on my hair. If I have to be I this area again, I wouldn't mind returning to the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Merlina
Stephenson, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

There are non-smoking signs on each and every room door. I assumed that was for indoor smoking. I failed to notice the " No Smoking on Premises" sign that is about 10 feet away from the front door upon checking in. After returning from dinner my boyfriend went outside to smoke a cigarette. A guest at the motel saw him smoking and said that he was calling the office and telling on him. We looked all around our room for any notice re: no smoking, even looked on the back of the door where other the other motel info is posted and looked on our check-in receipt and there was no information about smoking. So we just laughed it off and thought how absurd it was. The very next morning after returning from getting coffee the owner met us at our car and with a very loud and angry voice that we broke the rules and that there is NO SMOKING ALLOWED ANYWHERE ON THE PREMISES. I told her sorry we didn't know, we thought the door sign just meant that you couldn't smoke inside the rooms, and now that we know we will just stay somewhere else the next time we visited Petersburg. We packed up our belongings and proceed to place them in the car to leave when the owners husband (I'm am guessing) approached us and began asking questions about us smoking there. When we said we did but that we thought the sign meant no smoking inside the room he began to threaten us with calling the police and fire marshal and getting us into big trouble if we had smoked in the room. We had already told him we did not smoke in the room. This man was very loud and threatening, treating us as if we were common criminals. The owners don't seem to have any social skills or any skills on how to handle a uninformed customer. This was a very unnerving experience. If you decide to stay here please make sure you are aware of all of their rules for you may be threatened by them also.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Donna M
Stafford, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

I had always drove by this motel many times without staying overnight, Will I finely stay on a Friday night and I can tell you I've stayed in some nice places before in some big cities, but I was surprise at how clean and nice this place was. The room isn't the biggest, but you have everything you need, a good clean bed, clean bath and linens. There was a pool, but it had shut down the weekend before I stayed, but the owner said that if I wanted she could open it for me. By the way the owner are some of the nicest people you could ever meet. For me if i'm in the Petersburg area again then this will be my place to stay. By the way did I say that is only cost me $57.00 for the night, now these day's that is a good deal.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Fun little roadside motel with reasonable rates and smiling faces to spare. I was in the area for work for 2 days and had my daughter, so the pool was appealing. There aren't many hotels in the area with a pool. Well, no other pools within a half hours drive. I took a chance based on a few other review, and I wasn't disappointed. I suggest calling ahead because they do close the office around 9pm or so. We were warmly greeted, offered free popcorn as we checked in and my daughter enjoyed the fish tank. The pool was well kept, and is the centerpiece of a lovely courtyard area with chaise lounges, chairs and tables to enjoy pool watching, lunch, sunning, or as I did, working on my laptop using the available WiFi connection. I was cautioned on check in that they were having trouble with the local provider, area wide, and it was a bit slow that first night, but worked great after that.

The room was very clean, if small, but well appointed. It included a microwave and fridge, a small air conditioner, and a LCD tv on a wall mount. The bathroom was decent sized, and the whole place is well lit.

The staff again proved friendly the next few days and my daughter played in the pool and around the grounds with the maids little girl

We had the opportunity to hike up to Fort Mulligan for somewhat of a history/nature stroll one evening, and located lots of wildlife, mushrooms, wildflowers and were able to make out and identify all the historical features pointed out by the signage. It's an easy drive to Seneca Rocks, Seneca Caverns, Smoke Hole Caverns, the trough area of the Potomac River (in nearby Moorefield). There's a Sheetz and a Subway just a few minutes up the street towards town as well, for all day and late night type foods.

The hotel also offers a half basketball court out back, other game type activity potential, a sandbox area with toys for the kids, a gazebo out front with chairs for relaxing and enjoying a lovely Potomac Highlands view. The hits just keep coming at Fort Hill, and for a bargain $60 a night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mcgervey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petersburg
Canaan Valley Resort
Lost River Bed & Breakfast
#3 of 3 in Lost River
Windwood Fly-in Resort
Blackwater Falls State Park Lodge

Been to Fort Hill Motel? Share your experiences!