“New management has turned this place around”
Review of Avalon Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Paw Paw
Avalon Resort
Reviewed June 17, 2014

As long time members and former condo owners at Avalon, it was a delight to return to Avalon during the Bikes, Blues & BBQ weekend. Dramatic improvement has been accomplished in the infrastructure, and service. We were quite frankly astounded at the improvements that new management and a team of dedicated members have accomplished in less than a year since our last visit. We stayed in the lodge and got one of the newly refurbished rooms with a new (comfortable) bed, a mini fridge and a microwave--plus some unique art from our new home club in Florida. That said, the lodge is still an old Church of God camp, and the walls are a bit thin...nothing to be done about that...

The non-smoking policy in the bar "Nudsino" is wonderful. Even smokers have commented that they can actually enjoy a drink and conversation there without gagging on clouds of second hand smoke.

Be sure that you understand up front what food will be on offer during your visit.

It was truly wonderful to see that Avalon's new management has turned the place around.

Room Tip: Ask for Room #6. It is a very comfortable refurbished room half way between the bar and the lodge...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FairfaxBob

Reviewed June 2, 2014

This was our second trip to a clothing optional grounds, and first time to Avalon. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. From first arrival and the friendly reception of Marcie on, it was a great balance of friendliness and respect for privacy.

We stayed in the lodge, and the room was very comfortable for our needs. Our first activity was to go for a hike. Beautiful woods and ample trails to get some variety and a bit of exercise while exploring the terrain. We then spent the afternoon by the outdoor pool. It was generally very quiet and relaxing. The indoor pool was also very comfortable. The only downside was that the jets on the hot tub were not working, although that didn't stop people from congregating and socializing there. The next day we got great massages from Keith on the screen porch overlooking the pool before heading out.

It's important to keep expectations in check when going here: it's very much a community feel, not a luxurious resort. Meals were adequate, but very limited choice and so-so quality (canned corn, for example). The breakfast omelet was outstanding. It's got a family-feel to it, so if you are expecting fine dining, this would not be the place for you.

But, if you are looking for just a nice place to get away, relax, and be uninhibited, this is a great place. And it was a very affordable weekend, including the massages.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Brad O
Reviewed February 14, 2014

When I first started reading some of the earlier reviews, I thought I was at the wrong resort. But after reading FairfaxBob's review of August 6, 2013, I can definitely say that Avalon has successfully become a wonderful place to visit. Starting with Marcie in the front office who was very helpful and responsive to all of my e-mail questions. She almost always responded within 24 hours. Julie in the dining room was always quick to serve you and make sure you were satisfied. If you want to know how the regular members are, just stop in their Nudsino (bar & casino). I walked in not knowing anyone there and was immediately made to feel at home. I sat at the bar and members on either side of me started up conversations and introduced me to other members. I was also invited to join in the birthday celebration of one of their members. When I left the Nudsino I felt like a member.

As for the resort itself, it has everything you need right there in the lodge. From your room you can go to the dining room, the Nudsino, the aqua center and the weight room. The only time you need to go outside would be to go to their newly renovated barn for pickle ball or dances. It is probably no more than a 20 second walk from the lodge to the barn. Even in 28 degree weather with snow all around it was not too bad of a walk in the nude -- the barn is extremely well heated. The indoor pool was wonderful and always ready for a friendly game of volleyball as they use a beach ball with unlimited hits. I did not make use of their hot tub nor their sauna. Fortunately they have 2 hot tubs as one is in need of repair. My room in the lodge was nice. As others have said, there was no TV or telephone, which was fine -- there is a big screen TV in the dining room, The room has a self controlled heater which kept the room very comfortable. The heating unit was a little loud but I don't think any louder than other rooms I've stayed in. The room had the soaps, shampoo, and lotion along with towels and wash clothes which other reviewers said were missing. I do agree that the normal cost of the room is a bit high, but during the winter, Avalon cuts the cost in half which makes it a great place to visit to relax in the winter. And the price for the meals are quite reasonable. During my stay dinner was set up in a buffet style and you take as much as you like and it came with dessert which I believe was home made.

I will definitely come back. I'd like to try tent camping (just not during the winter). But if you are not into pitching a tent and would like to stay away from the lodge, you can bring your camper or rent a cabin or a condo.

Room Tip: Rooms with the mountain view are definitely nice. But my best tip is to visit during the winter whe...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank FrankyG117
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I was a little leery of going back to Avalon in the cold of winter. Not exactly the best time of the year for nudity! But I'm so glad we did! This was our first time not camping also, and I love camping there. The lodge was more costly but also more comfortable and convenient and definitely warmer. It's very basic, but clean and quite adequate. The food is only so so, although since I'm picky it's hard to please me in that department.

But the dances are the best anywhere, and the newly renovated barn is a great place for a party. The staff and people there seemed friendlier this time and there was a bit more of an adult vibe for New Years Eve although it's typically very family friendly too. The DJ was great and the music was a wonderful mix. I have been to lots of dance venues and none hold a candle to Avalon's barn dances. There is just something magical about dancing naked in high heels and jewelry in public on New Year's Eve!! If you missed it, you really missed out!

We enjoyed the indoor pool and hot tub too. And it was just as wonderful in the winter as in the summer. Although we did have to put on robes or coats for the short trek from the lodge to the barn.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Virginiaabitspoiled
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We were long time members of Avalon and condo owners before moving to Florida in January, 2013. We returned for a visit in July, stayed in the lodge over the weekend and then in a friend's condo in the middle of the week.

Avalon has always been "in the middle of nowhere". It has never had cell service, and probably never will. Buy a phone card to use the public land lines that are available.

There has been a complete change of management and an almost complete change of staff at Avalon since January, 2013. The two female "managers" cited in so many negative posts are gone. The new management is focused on rebuilding an atmosphere of friendly fun that was poisoned over the last two years by the two departed managers. It's an uphill climb. (And, that's not intended as a pun, but if you go to Avalon you will see why it could be taken that way.)

The lodge rooms are basic, and the walls are paper thin. (That's one reason that there are no TV's in the rooms.) The housekeeping has improved 110% with the departure of the former management and staff. The rooms are clean but very basic. TV is available in a common room at the indoor pool and in the main dining room. This facility was built as a church camp by the Winchester (VA) Church of God, so that may give you an idea of why the structure isn't exactly up to Hilton standards. Still, it's comfortable, clean and safe.

Read the web site carefully or talk in detail to the office about what food service will be available during your stay. Previous management teams have tried to run a full service 4 star restaurant in the middle of nowhere. Didn't work. You will find that the food on offer is well prepared, basic and you won't starve--but DO make sure that you understand what's going to be available and when. If the restaurant is closed for dinner, the pizza place in Paw Paw is OK.

The bar has gone "no-smoking", and offers some WV Lottery "slots".

The campground is up a fairly steep hill and is unlighted at night. So, carry a flashlight and watch your step.

If what you are seeking is a relaxing, fun, easygoing experience in the beauty of West Virginia's mountains with a bunch of friendly folks--who just don't happen to wear clothes--this is your place.

And, yeah, there are some members over 60 who could loose a few pounds. If that's a problem for you, go somewhere else.

Bottom line: This is a wonderful nudist facility in a magnificent natural location. It is not a Hilton, and never will be. It is not a 4 star restaurant and never will be. It is in the middle of nowhere and always will be. New management is working hard to recover from serious problems created by prior management, and they are on the right track. Go, expecting to enjoy a relaxing time and meet new friends among the great crowd that goes to Avalon. If this is your first nudist experience, Avalon is a great place for dipping your toes in the water.

Room Tip: Some of the lodge rooms have been recently updated. Ask for one of those rooms, or one in the midd...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank FairfaxBob
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stayed on 12 July 2013. I am a first-time visitor to a nudist resort. I am a senior single and did it as a last minute whim. I enjoyed it immensely. Avalon was probably a very good start. Both the staff and the patrons were extraordinarily open and friendly. Realize that I have no experience to make a good comparison to other nudist facilities. I give it 4 stars because of that. The lodge is very clean, but old, and delivers Motel 6-level accommodations at Hilton-level prices ($120). However, that price includes access to the facilities for which they normally charge $40 a day. The resort includes campgrounds, rental condos, and privately-owned trailers and condos, as well as the lodge. The pools (indoor and outdoor) and other facilities appear well-maintained. I enjoyed the nature trails, though they are not marked well enough for a novice like me. In two tries, I could not follow the Green trail and had to switch to the Red or Yellow. Not a significant problem because it was always possible to get visual bearings with an electrical clear zone running through the property. I had buffet for dinner ($13) that was tasty and plentiful. Included breakfast was typical motel fair with chipped beef and gravy as the meat course, soggy pre-cooked waffles (just toast them first) and scrambled eggs.

Bottom line is that it was a good experience for me at a facility that met all my expectations for the price.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms look out over the Front Lawn which is normally sparsely used. Other side faces...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank PeterHand
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I decided to spend our 4th of July weekend at a new (to us) resort and found Avalon.
A few issues jumped out at us pretty quickly that need to be addressed by the staff of Avalon.
First the glaring safety issues (that could very well lead to lawsuits if not addressed).
1. The cement around the indoor pool is not textured at all for wet feet. I know not to run around the pool but I saw many people slipping all over around the pool. I myself slipped and fell twice and I knew it was slick. The tile in the bathrooms adjacent to the pool was even slicker as standard white ceramic tile (again not textured) was selected.
2. The entire campgrounds were unlighted and being the resort is located in the mountains extremely dark. Being that the roads are gravel and rutted out due to running water completely unpassable if you do not think ahead and have a flashlight.

Also as noted in other reviews there is absolutely no cell coverage at the resort, glad they got wireless at the lodge/bar (apparantly last year).

A few negatives (not safety related):
1. The bar is EXTREMELY small and drinks are expensive ($4 for a can of local beer).
2. The day fees/tent camping fees are very high in comparrison to "local" resorts. Whitetail is about $57/night for grounds/tent camping fees while Avalon is $75/night grounds/tent camping.

All in all it is a nice resort with potential but my wife and I will probably not be visiting again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
12  Thank EasternShoreite

Been to Avalon Resort? Share your experiences!