“Great getaway”
Review of Avalon Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Paw Paw
Avalon Resort
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great getaway”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

This was our second trip to a clothing optional grounds, and first time to Avalon. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. From first arrival and the friendly reception of Marcie on, it was a great balance of friendliness and respect for privacy.

We stayed in the lodge, and the room was very comfortable for our needs. Our first activity was to go for a hike. Beautiful woods and ample trails to get some variety and a bit of exercise while exploring the terrain. We then spent the afternoon by the outdoor pool. It was generally very quiet and relaxing. The indoor pool was also very comfortable. The only downside was that the jets on the hot tub were not working, although that didn't stop people from congregating and socializing there. The next day we got great massages from Keith on the screen porch overlooking the pool before heading out.

It's important to keep expectations in check when going here: it's very much a community feel, not a luxurious resort. Meals were adequate, but very limited choice and so-so quality (canned corn, for example). The breakfast omelet was outstanding. It's got a family-feel to it, so if you are expecting fine dining, this would not be the place for you.

But, if you are looking for just a nice place to get away, relax, and be uninhibited, this is a great place. And it was a very affordable weekend, including the massages.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Brad O

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Maryland
Reviewed February 14, 2014

When I first started reading some of the earlier reviews, I thought I was at the wrong resort. But after reading FairfaxBob's review of August 6, 2013, I can definitely say that Avalon has successfully become a wonderful place to visit. Starting with Marcie in the front office who was very helpful and responsive to all of my e-mail questions. She almost always responded within 24 hours. Julie in the dining room was always quick to serve you and make sure you were satisfied. If you want to know how the regular members are, just stop in their Nudsino (bar & casino). I walked in not knowing anyone there and was immediately made to feel at home. I sat at the bar and members on either side of me started up conversations and introduced me to other members. I was also invited to join in the birthday celebration of one of their members. When I left the Nudsino I felt like a member.

As for the resort itself, it has everything you need right there in the lodge. From your room you can go to the dining room, the Nudsino, the aqua center and the weight room. The only time you need to go outside would be to go to their newly renovated barn for pickle ball or dances. It is probably no more than a 20 second walk from the lodge to the barn. Even in 28 degree weather with snow all around it was not too bad of a walk in the nude -- the barn is extremely well heated. The indoor pool was wonderful and always ready for a friendly game of volleyball as they use a beach ball with unlimited hits. I did not make use of their hot tub nor their sauna. Fortunately they have 2 hot tubs as one is in need of repair. My room in the lodge was nice. As others have said, there was no TV or telephone, which was fine -- there is a big screen TV in the dining room, The room has a self controlled heater which kept the room very comfortable. The heating unit was a little loud but I don't think any louder than other rooms I've stayed in. The room had the soaps, shampoo, and lotion along with towels and wash clothes which other reviewers said were missing. I do agree that the normal cost of the room is a bit high, but during the winter, Avalon cuts the cost in half which makes it a great place to visit to relax in the winter. And the price for the meals are quite reasonable. During my stay dinner was set up in a buffet style and you take as much as you like and it came with dessert which I believe was home made.

I will definitely come back. I'd like to try tent camping (just not during the winter). But if you are not into pitching a tent and would like to stay away from the lodge, you can bring your camper or rent a cabin or a condo.

Room Tip: Rooms with the mountain view are definitely nice. But my best tip is to visit during the winter whe...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank FrankyG117
Virginia
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I was a little leery of going back to Avalon in the cold of winter. Not exactly the best time of the year for nudity! But I'm so glad we did! This was our first time not camping also, and I love camping there. The lodge was more costly but also more comfortable and convenient and definitely warmer. It's very basic, but clean and quite adequate. The food is only so so, although since I'm picky it's hard to please me in that department.

But the dances are the best anywhere, and the newly renovated barn is a great place for a party. The staff and people there seemed friendlier this time and there was a bit more of an adult vibe for New Years Eve although it's typically very family friendly too. The DJ was great and the music was a wonderful mix. I have been to lots of dance venues and none hold a candle to Avalon's barn dances. There is just something magical about dancing naked in high heels and jewelry in public on New Year's Eve!! If you missed it, you really missed out!

We enjoyed the indoor pool and hot tub too. And it was just as wonderful in the winter as in the summer. Although we did have to put on robes or coats for the short trek from the lodge to the barn.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Virginiaabitspoiled
Orange Park, Florida
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We were long time members of Avalon and condo owners before moving to Florida in January, 2013. We returned for a visit in July, stayed in the lodge over the weekend and then in a friend's condo in the middle of the week.

Avalon has always been "in the middle of nowhere". It has never had cell service, and probably never will. Buy a phone card to use the public land lines that are available.

There has been a complete change of management and an almost complete change of staff at Avalon since January, 2013. The two female "managers" cited in so many negative posts are gone. The new management is focused on rebuilding an atmosphere of friendly fun that was poisoned over the last two years by the two departed managers. It's an uphill climb. (And, that's not intended as a pun, but if you go to Avalon you will see why it could be taken that way.)

The lodge rooms are basic, and the walls are paper thin. (That's one reason that there are no TV's in the rooms.) The housekeeping has improved 110% with the departure of the former management and staff. The rooms are clean but very basic. TV is available in a common room at the indoor pool and in the main dining room. This facility was built as a church camp by the Winchester (VA) Church of God, so that may give you an idea of why the structure isn't exactly up to Hilton standards. Still, it's comfortable, clean and safe.

Read the web site carefully or talk in detail to the office about what food service will be available during your stay. Previous management teams have tried to run a full service 4 star restaurant in the middle of nowhere. Didn't work. You will find that the food on offer is well prepared, basic and you won't starve--but DO make sure that you understand what's going to be available and when. If the restaurant is closed for dinner, the pizza place in Paw Paw is OK.

The bar has gone "no-smoking", and offers some WV Lottery "slots".

The campground is up a fairly steep hill and is unlighted at night. So, carry a flashlight and watch your step.

If what you are seeking is a relaxing, fun, easygoing experience in the beauty of West Virginia's mountains with a bunch of friendly folks--who just don't happen to wear clothes--this is your place.

And, yeah, there are some members over 60 who could loose a few pounds. If that's a problem for you, go somewhere else.

Bottom line: This is a wonderful nudist facility in a magnificent natural location. It is not a Hilton, and never will be. It is not a 4 star restaurant and never will be. It is in the middle of nowhere and always will be. New management is working hard to recover from serious problems created by prior management, and they are on the right track. Go, expecting to enjoy a relaxing time and meet new friends among the great crowd that goes to Avalon. If this is your first nudist experience, Avalon is a great place for dipping your toes in the water.

Room Tip: Some of the lodge rooms have been recently updated. Ask for one of those rooms, or one in the midd...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank FairfaxBob
Pocono Manor, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stayed on 12 July 2013. I am a first-time visitor to a nudist resort. I am a senior single and did it as a last minute whim. I enjoyed it immensely. Avalon was probably a very good start. Both the staff and the patrons were extraordinarily open and friendly. Realize that I have no experience to make a good comparison to other nudist facilities. I give it 4 stars because of that. The lodge is very clean, but old, and delivers Motel 6-level accommodations at Hilton-level prices ($120). However, that price includes access to the facilities for which they normally charge $40 a day. The resort includes campgrounds, rental condos, and privately-owned trailers and condos, as well as the lodge. The pools (indoor and outdoor) and other facilities appear well-maintained. I enjoyed the nature trails, though they are not marked well enough for a novice like me. In two tries, I could not follow the Green trail and had to switch to the Red or Yellow. Not a significant problem because it was always possible to get visual bearings with an electrical clear zone running through the property. I had buffet for dinner ($13) that was tasty and plentiful. Included breakfast was typical motel fair with chipped beef and gravy as the meat course, soggy pre-cooked waffles (just toast them first) and scrambled eggs.

Bottom line is that it was a good experience for me at a facility that met all my expectations for the price.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms look out over the Front Lawn which is normally sparsely used. Other side faces...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank PeterHand
Greenbackville, Virginia
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I decided to spend our 4th of July weekend at a new (to us) resort and found Avalon.
A few issues jumped out at us pretty quickly that need to be addressed by the staff of Avalon.
First the glaring safety issues (that could very well lead to lawsuits if not addressed).
1. The cement around the indoor pool is not textured at all for wet feet. I know not to run around the pool but I saw many people slipping all over around the pool. I myself slipped and fell twice and I knew it was slick. The tile in the bathrooms adjacent to the pool was even slicker as standard white ceramic tile (again not textured) was selected.
2. The entire campgrounds were unlighted and being the resort is located in the mountains extremely dark. Being that the roads are gravel and rutted out due to running water completely unpassable if you do not think ahead and have a flashlight.

Also as noted in other reviews there is absolutely no cell coverage at the resort, glad they got wireless at the lodge/bar (apparantly last year).

A few negatives (not safety related):
1. The bar is EXTREMELY small and drinks are expensive ($4 for a can of local beer).
2. The day fees/tent camping fees are very high in comparrison to "local" resorts. Whitetail is about $57/night for grounds/tent camping fees while Avalon is $75/night grounds/tent camping.

All in all it is a nice resort with potential but my wife and I will probably not be visiting again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
12 Thank EasternShoreite
Virginia
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I wrote a rave review the last time we were at Avalon for the music festival. This time my experience and impression was a lot more mixed, unfortunately.

On the pro side, the resort is very beautiful and peaceful in the daytime and fun and exciting at night with dances and live bands. It's still a hidden gem. We enjoy the camping which is very reasonable and the nude pool and hot tub are enjoyable as well. Most of the people are friendly and it's a great place to get naked and enjoy the great outdoors and nature. It's family friendly and refreshing to see grandparents with their grandkids enjoying themselves together at a nudist resort. The kids seem very comfortable with their bodies and were a joy to watch dancing and hula hooping on the lawn. I find this more healthy and wholesome than most family activities.

On the negative side we were there for the much hyped FaerieFest which was not very well attended at all. The best part about it was the advertisement which featured glossy flyers that were magical and enticing. Great PR job, but It just didn't live up to expectations. There were a few vendors selling jewelry and such and the food was mediocre at best, and costly for what was offered. It's much better to bring your own food and cook out there. The photographer had a nice set up and we enjoyed that, and the drinks were decent but expensive. The FaerieFest didn't seem to have much to offer other than a little music and They did not follow the schedule at all and the faerie parade consisted of two people. Events were scheduled on the lawn until 9 PM when the dance started but there was absolutely nothing going on after 6 PM, despite a good number of people sitting on the lawn waiting for nothing. The only thing I saw was the faerie fire ring put on by one fairy dancer who did her best to entertain single handedly most of the day and evening. There was no advertised sing along or Dragon Dance or Faerie Flight. Most people felt let down by the lack of planning for this event. It had great potential but didn't live up to it at all. I hope they improve in future years because it could have been fun with better planning and more vendors and activities that really took place.

The ugly and real turn off for me was the fact that Avalon advertises as pet friendly and we even called ahead to make sure that our dog was welcome. I was assured he could attend the FaerieFest if he was on a leash. I even expressed misgivings about bringing the dog but was reassured it was fine and he was welcome at the festival. My dog is only 6 pounds and we had both a leash and a dog carrier so we could carry him since he has paralyzed back legs. He is a good camper and an easy dog, and we went out of our way to pack for both him and ourselves for two days of camping. We also purchased a lot of fairy finery and gave up other plans to attend this event with high hopes. It was out of town and it took a while to get there. Imagine our shock and dismay when we arrived and we were immediately told NO PETS were allowed at the FaerieFest after we had just gotten permission to attend with our dog!! It was too far to go back home and leave the dog at that point. We were upset and it was a real dilemma. The staff didn't seem to care and were not willing to bend their new rule which was added onto the the rules list after the fact. We were told they just changed the rule since there were a lot of people at the festival (which was not true either. The turn out was very very small.), but the day before I was told it was fine for my dog to attend and no one ever told us otherwise until we were at the gate being denied entry. We even offered to carry the dog in our shoulder pouch/carrier the entire time. But they would not help us out at all. We were there at 11 AM for the festival and they told us the dog could come in with us on the lawn and to the festival at 6 PM. We were really disappointed that we would have to sit it out for 7 hours by our tent until we could attend the event. But we did just that since there were scheduled activities on the list for the FaerieFest until 9 PM when the dance started. At 6 PM we finally were able to get into the festival with the dog and NOTHING was going on. None of the scheduled events even happened. Many were waiting on the lawn for absolutely nothing. What a disappointment and false advertising!!! There was no Faerie Flight, no sing along, no dragon dance, and only a short 10 minute fire dance by one fairy dancer. PERIOD. Most of the vendors had packed up and were gone too.

The staff did not really help us out at all. Some kind guests offered their condo for our dog however, and said they were also put out by the new rule about no dogs without any notice. We did not take them up on it since we were not sure how our dog would react to a strange house with two strange dogs, but the guests were more understanding and nicer about it than the staff!! The staff did offer to watch our dog for a "few minutes" while we went into the festival but within a very short time they came and got us and told us our dog was very unhappy tied to the front gate where they just ignored him. I had just purchased a $4 drink was unable to even drink it outside the gate due to them coming in to get us immediately. Another nicer staff person (who was better than the rude gate staff) also offered to help watch our dog for half an hour while we went into the festival but she was too busy to watch him for long and again we were frustrated and just gave up and sat by our tent waiting for 6 PM. The solutions offered by the staff were insulting. They suggested we put the dog in the hot car on an almost 90 degree day, or tie the dog up by our tent and let him bark and disturb fellow campers, or that they refund our money and we drive for hours all the way back home after packing up our car for a two day camping trip, and spending money on costumes and accessories for the event, which was a birthday gift to one of us. I am not the type to demand all venues be pet friendly and in fact I typically leave my dogs at home. But when a resort advertises as pet friendly and flat out tells you that your dog is welcome on a leash, I expect them to honor their word and their policy. That is my point. They changed their usual policy on a whim without notice after people came there with their pets and then had to sit around outside the gate and miss the event. That is unacceptable and very thoughtless and unfair to paying guests.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
15 Thank Virginiaabitspoiled
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paw Paw
Cacapon Resort State Park
Cacapon Resort State Park
#3 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Spri...
#1 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
Best Western Berkeley Springs Inn
Best Western Berkeley Springs In...
#2 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
Rocky Gap Casino Resort
Rocky Gap Casino Resort
#1 of 1 in Flintstone
South Branch Inn Romney

Been to Avalon Resort? Share your experiences!