“Unfriendly to newcomers” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Avalon Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Paw Paw
Avalon Resort
You added Avalon Resort to your Saves list
DC
“Unfriendly to newcomers”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I came to Avalon with two friends, and we arrived relatively late (6pm). There was no one around to tell us where we were staying. We couldn't look up our reservation because there was no cell or internet service. And when someone from the resort finally came to check on us, the first thing they said was "What are you DOING here?".

After a long day, I was looking forward to putting some ice in my bourbon and sitting in the hot tub. Unfortunately, the hot tub isn't open except on weekends. And there's no ice anywhere. And no coffee in the morning.

Would not recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
10 Thank cheesenpeas

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I visited Avalon together in August. I had been a few times previously, once for camping along with a few day visits, and I really wanted to share with her the wonderful experiences I had there. The atmosphere is very friendly and completely relaxing. The facilities are very well maintained and the staff warm and accommodating. There are three different nature trails for hiking, indoor and outdoor pools, hot tubs, a sauna, and even a small casino with a bar and a pool table. We availed ourselves of most if not all of these amenities. Whether it is your first time at a clothing optional resort (as it was on this occasion for my wife) or if you have been to other resorts, you will love Avalon!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Michael D
Battle Creek
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My boyfriend took me as a surprise....And a great experience we had. It was my first time at a clothing optional resort and I am hooked. The staff was great and very friendly. The bed was comfortable and the bedding was classy. The room was very clean and pet friendly a BIG plus... The hot tubs and pool were well maintained and warm...I really enjoyed the best buns contest the men were very entertaining and everyone enjoyed. I hope to return when it gets a little warmer and enjoy more of the outdoor activities...We did get to sit outside and take in the breath taking view of the mountains...A bit early for the dogwood trees but didn't matter still beautiful..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jodi L
Beallsville, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We took advantage of their "All Inclusive" offer this month. The weekend rate included our room, meals and grounds fees. We were welcomed warmly, when we arrived on Friday afternoon. Our room was neat and clean and the food was very good. We enjoyed swimming in the indoor pool, playing pool volleyball, the hot tub, the Nudsino and the dance on Saturday. We were very pleased to learn that there is no smoking allowed in any of the indoor facilities. It was too cold to be nude outside, so we got dressed after breakfast and explored the grounds for a while. When the dogwoods blossom and everything turns green again, the mountain views will be nothing short of spectacular! The other guests and members were great. One couple that lives in the nearby clothing-optional community even invited us to come to visit and tour their neighborhood.

We can hardly wait for it to warm up, for a return trip!

Room Tip: Like others have said, ask for an even numbered room. They have a mountain view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Eddie H
Akron
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We spent a weekend at Avalon's lodge. I found our room exceptionally clean and comfortable. I would complain that the door to the room was very thin. People walking up and down the hall and talking loudly sounded as if they were in the room with us. The pool was clean and heated nicely. We had water aerobics and that was fun. There are two hot tubs, both kept at 110 degrees, which was a little warmer than I would have liked. The bubbles were not working on either one. Since it was winter we didn't spend much time outside, but the grounds are extensive. If I have a complaint, it would be the food. They are charging 5 star prices for what appears to be mostly frozen cuisine. We had the veal and the chicken cordon bleu, respectively and neither was very good. They ran out of hamburger for lunch, so we had to change our order. They did offer a free desert at dinner for the inconvenience, but then ran out of that and had to substitue ice cream. The staff were all very nice and professional.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 1Buckeye2000
Maryland, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed 2 nights and 2 days with dinners, breakfasts, spa, bar, and party. New Year Eve Party and buffet were well done. In particular, service by Tammy and Valerie was outstanding throughout entire stay. Reasonable costs. Live band would have been better than a DJ, but DJ was satisfactory.

Room Tip: Rooms are essentially the same, except at either end or at middle entrance where noise is greater.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ken S
JodysHusband, Web Master at Avalon Resort, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. I too prefer a band as well, but the acoustics in the lodge don't support a band well. In warmer weather, we occasionally have a band in the barn. Dave, who was our DJ for Nude Years Eve, is one of the best we have.
West Chester, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

I stayed I the lodge this past Saturday and Sunday night for my first trip to Avalon. As others have said the walls and doors are thin but who cares the room was nice and served its purpose (to sleep). With the pools, nudisno and grounds there was tons to enjoy where you only wanted to be in the room to sleep. The staff was friendly from the waitstaff to the bartender and even the groundscrew. The food was good and reasonable. Others mention it being "clicky" I found that this was just fine since the clicks were people who lived there or frequented there. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank Steve112975
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paw Paw
BEST WESTERN Berkeley Springs Inn
BEST WESTERN Berkeley Springs In...
#1 of 6 in Berkeley Springs
4.0 of 5 stars 319 reviews
The Country Inn of Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Spri...
#2 of 6 in Berkeley Springs
Rocky Gap Casino Resort
Rocky Gap Casino Resort
#1 of 1 in Flintstone
4.0 of 5 stars 1,077 reviews

Been to Avalon Resort? Share your experiences!