“My Girlfriend Loved It”

The Blennerhassett Hotel
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Parkersburg
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My girlfriend and I were going on a short road trip and looked for a hotel for one night. It was either the Blennerhassett or the Microtel in Marietta, which were around the same price for the night we wanted. I chose the Microtel and my girlfriend wanted the Blennerhassett.....so here I am writing a review for the Blennerhassett. Once we arrived I wasn't disappointed at all.

This is a beautiful old hotel, but it isn't old as in "run down old", it's more like an old historic hotel. It has modern amenities like an LCD TV, newly remodeled bathroom(though no tub in the room we were in 223), and wifi, etc., but you kind of feel like you stepped back in time and experience how the "well to do" traveled in the Victorian era.

The room was awe inspiring with 20 foot high ceilings and 1-2 foot wide crown molding. We had a very comfortable king bed that had very large and expensive looking head and foot boards. All the furniture in the room was impressive. Also, the whole room was spotless and needless to say my significant other was very happy.

The staff was friendly and available but not overbearing. I like that they asked if we needed help with our luggage or valet parking instead of just automatically doing it on their own.

The hotel has a coffee shop and restaurant available, though we didn't use either of those services. They also have the standard ice and snack machines available.

I would have given this hotel a 4 1/2 star rating if possible. There are just a few little things that keep it from being perfect, some not the hotels fault. We stayed on a holiday weekend and parking wasn't a problem, but I can see it maybe being a little difficult during the week. Also, other than the hotel restaurant, I didn't notice any places to eat within walking distance. There are however plenty of choices in Parkersburg within a short drive. Plus, however bad they may be, I've become accustomed to the complimentary breakfast buffet which this hotel doesn't offer.

These next couple of points may sound picky but just my 2 cents. So many things about this hotel are beautiful from the rooms, to the exterior, to the well kept grounds with beautiful landscaping. However, the first sight you see when you walk through the doors is an ugly old worn out rug. Why? I worried just for a second if we made the wrong choice. Also, the elevator is very slow so we chose to use the stairs most of the time. While the stairwell walls looked freshly painted, the flooring was in pretty bad shape. At first it looked like cigarette burns from days gone past, but we guessed it was just numerous brown paint splatters.

Overall though this place is a gem. Don't let the few hiccups this place has dissuade you from staying here. They are just some things management should take note of. I would definitely recommend the Blennerhassett to anyone traveling through Parkersburg or those looking for a weekend getaway.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Blennerhassett Hotel

Reviewed August 31, 2013

This is a beautifully restored old hotel. Clearly a lot of money went into the renewal of this great property. There are some signs that the cash flow is not high enough to maintain a top quality of service and maintenance. The staff is somewhat indifferent and some of the hotel areas are showing a bit of wear. The room rates are more than reasonable. In fact, they are downright cheap for such quality. I’d expect to pay nearly twice the rack room rate, and would feel that I’d gotten my money’s worth if I had. Perhaps this is a function of being in Parkersburg, WV, which is a lovely small city in a rural setting. I wish we had more time to explore this picturesque town. Parkersburg is right off a major north-south thoroughfare – I-77. I strongly recommend those travelers to plan an overnight at the Blennerhassett for some R&R.

Spats, the restaurant within the hotel, is an attractive space. The waitstaff is very friendly but a tad inefficient. It took a loooonnnng time to get our order and the bill. The menu offers several appealing selections. The food appears to be top quality when presented. Sadly, both of our entrees were substandard for what we expected, particularly the seared tuna, which was tough and had a fishy taste overtone to it. The chef did his best to present a top quality meal. It seems that a lack of cash flow may have resulted in a diminution of quality ingredients. On the other hand, breakfast was excellent and very reasonably priced. The bar was really cool, and the night we were there (a Friday) featured an excellent jazz combo on the patio and a piano player in the bar who churned out pop tunes from the 80’s as though they were jazz standards.

The hotel should do some well-targeted advertising and promotion and raise their rates. I really want to give this hotel more stars. If the rating was relevant to the area, they’d get five. Against other five stars such as the Jefferson is Richmond, however, I must limit this rating to four. Don’t let that deter you, however. I’d bet it is by far the best option within 100 miles.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The 500-mile, nearly nine-hour drive along Interstates from Washington, DC to Cincinnati had been pretty dreary as we approached Parkersburg, West Virginia, a faded oil and gas, textile and metalworking town of 31,000, a little over half way along our route. By then, M.F.A. (My Favorite American) and I needed an overnight respite from the tedium of the trip and something more than a stucco-clad Interstate box, of which the Parkersburg exits had plenty. So we asked our GPS. It proposed the barely utterable Blennerhassett, a “boutique” hotel, it called it, in the center of the downtown near the confluence of the Ohio and Kanawha Rivers.

“Boutique?’” In Parkersburg? We called. They had a room, for $135. In minutes we pulled up to a massive, fully restored pre-World War I Victorian brick masterpiece nearly as big as the Wood County Court house nearby. It had chateau-like cones on the roof. It had a doorman in livery. It had a guy to lug our bags. We parked at the side of the hotel for free. Inside, compared to the desultory feel of the side streets, the Blennerhassett’s small lobby was lush and calm, surreal for this town. Tucked over on the left was a small Starbucks. In back was a stand-up desk with room for one clerk. He wouldn’t offer travel rewards or free breakfast. Room 305 was compensation enough. It had plenty of space. It greeted us as a grandmother would, with solid Victorian furnishings and warm heavy drapes.

We went out for a stroll and in a couple of blocks found ourselves among the 126 homes of the Julia-Ann Square Historic District, the oldest site of 19th Century housing in West Virginia. Along Juliana and Ann Streets and their intersections, some of these houses stood out for their decorative fantasies. Built in Parkersburg ‘s halcyon industrial days, they’re all big. Some were in disrepair and for sale. Many, however, have been taken on by a new gentry and restored.

We found nothing downtown where we could stop for dinner, so we returned to the Blennerhassett, the home of Spats restaurant, easily the best in town. “You look fabulous!” the maître d’ told MF.A., as he led is to a table. That might have been a ploy to whet appetites, and if so, it worked. M.F.A had a smoked salmon crepe to start—slices of salmon rolled in a remoulade sauce with bean sprouts—and then a filet mignon with perfectly mashed potatoes laced with cumin and coriander. I had a bowl of steamed and salted mussels and next, Peking duckling. We paid $26 for a bottle of Pinot Noire. Our check came to $108.16.

Tip: Avoid the second floor if you believe what you hear. “It’s haunted,” an unassailable authority, a woman riding our elevator, warned us.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter K
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The Blennerhassett is an old landmark hotel that has been renovated and kept pristine for those who like to travel in class. Full service bar, restaurant and outside dining await should you prefer to stay on site and enjoy dining. You will receive excellent service and the cleanest rooms. Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My wife and I spent a couple of days at the Blennerhassett as part of the Parkersburgh News & Sentinel half marathon. Overall we were very pleased with the entire experience. We pulled up around 4:00 (we drove from Indianapolis) and were greeted immediately. The check in was quick and easy. We stayed in room 405, which overlooks the little courtyard where they have live entertainment each Friday and Saturday evening.

The facility itself was pretty nice. There were a few common areas that could use some new carpeting, but overall it was in good shape. Our room was very clean and modern. The only little bitty complaint was the shower. It almost took two men to turn the dang thing on and off. But other than that, it was all good. You know you're in a good hotel when all you have to complain about is how hard it is to turn on the shower, right?

We ate at Spats on Saturday evening. The food was very good. Not spectacular, but very good. No complaints with the service, quality or value. Although the flourless chocolate cake (hey, I ran a half marathon in the morning, gimme a break), was OK, it was far from the moist decadent chocolate I was hoping for. Maybe I didn't know what I was ordering when I ordered "flourless"?

The free valet parking was a nice bonus as was the COLD bottle of water in our vehicle upon our departure. Nice touch!

All in all: Definitely recommend for others.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I apologize for taking so long to get this review out.
We stayed at the Blennerhassett for the first time back in late February of this year.
We had always wanted to go experience this Historic Hotel, and with our upcoming Wedding plans in the making, we thought we would check it out for a possible wedding there.
The Hotel is very beautiful. It is located in kind of a concrete jungle though, with Municiple buildings, large parking lots, etc around it. Not really anything within walking distance except a pizza place and a pub.
Inside, it is nicely decorated, the front desk staff was ok, not overly friendly.
We went up to our room, which was awesome, very nicely done and cozy. The bathroom was also very nice. Bed good, large and comfortable.
The Wedding planner girl there was very nice and courteous, knew what she was doing, showed us every possibility, and followed up with us after we left.
They were having a Jewelry show set up downstairs the day we were there, so that was pretty cool also.
We did encounter a problem when we decided to eat Dinner that evening in the Hotel Restaurant "Spats".
We had noticed it when we checked in since it is to the right of the front desk. It looked pretty elegant and we were really looking forward to Dining there.
As we walked up to the little podium table that the Hostess was standing at, she literally looked us up and down, then took us back out to the Bar area to sit at a table, while taking everyone else into the Dining Room to eat. When our "Bar" waitress came to take our order, we complained, and asked if there was a dress code for dining room, she said - NO. I had on nice jeans, no holes, dressy polo shirt, my Fiancee had on really nice blouse, nice jeans, small heels.
We were the only ones seated in the "bar" table area which is out in front of dining room, and they continued to seat other guests in the dining room, not seating anyone else out where we were. We felt like we were not "good enough" to be seated in the main Dining Room since we were not dressed as elegant as the other people, and didn't have "rolling in money" wrote all over us.
We did fill out the room card that asks how your stay was, and the Manager did call me when we got home. She apologized and said she would get to the bottom of it. She spoke to the Hostess, who told her that a Funeral party was in the Dining room when we were there. "Really " !! I had looked in there and saw couples eating at small tables, and other larger tables had people also. If there was a "funeral party" what about the 20 other empty tables in there ? Where was the sign stating private party, and why didn't hostess say anything ?
Anyways, doesn't matter now. The Manager was very nice and offered us a Dinner there, but we were not about to go back there, plus a 2 hour drive for us.
In closing, I can recommend the Hotel as a nice stay for you, but I would recommend going off the premises for Dinner.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Doug C
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed here for one night and had a lovely experience. The valet and front-desk staff were most helpful and friendly. The property is well maintained and quite charming. Enjoyed a couple of glasses of wine in the bar before bedtime. All in all, a fine experience--and a fair price, too.

Room Tip: Don't forget to ask for AAA rate!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dstclair
Also consider these accommodations in or near Parkersburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Parkersburg Downtown
Comfort Inn Parkersburg
Comfort Inn Parkersburg
#7 of 11 in Parkersburg
Wingate by Wyndham Vienna Parkersburg

Been to The Blennerhassett Hotel? Share your experiences!