“Adequate Comfort Inn” 3 of 5 stars
Review of New River Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oak Hill
New River Inn
You added New River Inn to your Saves list
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Oak Hill
Dayton, Ohio
“Adequate Comfort Inn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

Let me start out by saying we usually try to stay in Comfort Inns when we travel with our family. This Comfort Inn was one of the least favorite ones I've ever been to. There really isn't anything wrong with it, but it just wasn't one of my favorites. I think the thing I liked the least was how small the room was. We had a room with 2 queen beds, and there really isn't much room to put your suitcase. The bathroom vanity is extremely small, but was very clean. I was a little disappointed in the housekeeping. We had a toy that was under our bed, and the dust ruffle needed to be changed because of a huge water stain in it, and the other room in our party found an MP3 charger still in the room. Finding other guests items in the room kinda of grosses me out. The other negative for us was that the room key didn't work several times. We had to have the card scanned again at the front desk before it would work. This happened twice to us, as well as the other room that was in our party. I'm not sure if it was a problem during our stay or if this happens often.

The microwave and fridge are nice. The breakfast was very nice. The kids enjoyed the pool, which is behind the hotel in a fenced in area. The best part of this hotel was the location. It was only 5 minutes from the rafting and zip lining company we were using. Having a Walmart close was nice too.

All in all, this hotel is ok, and if I were going rafting again, I would probably stay at it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Travelerforlife_5

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

This Comfort Inn is in an odd location, by itself on a major highway (rt 19). We have had a very good experience. Our room is clean, the furniture is in good condition, it's a non-smoking room that doesn't smell of smoke. It has been very quiet, we are on the third floor on the backside of the hotel facing the pool. I can imagine that some of the rooms on the first floor facing the parking lot/highway might be a bit noisy. Even though it sems like a strange location, it has been very convenient driving to our activities (horseback riding at Babcock State park and whitwater rafting with NARR). It's very close to Fayetteville, Oak Hill and Hawk's Nest State park. The price was a little more than we wanted to pay (average $92/night with AAA discount), but not outrageous. Delux continental breakfast is included, which is rare at hotels anymore. Breakfast is more than just Danish and muffins. It also included waffles, sausage and egg biscuits or biscuits with white gravy, bagels, cold cereal, and oatmeal. The also have a refrigerator and microwave in every room, which is very handy. I definitely recommend this place in an area that has limited selection for accommodations. Oh, and the wireless internet does work, I'm using it now!

Room Tip: Rooms on third floor facing the pool (320)
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Allia7
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

I stayed two nights at this hotel. October 9 and 10, 2010. My room (210) was very large, with a huge King sized bed. It was wonderful after a long, long day of photography in gorgeous WV. My spouse was traveling with me on this trip, and she too enjoyed it very, very much. She would not hesitate at all in returning. If you've browsed through any of my other reviews you will know I'm a freak for bathroom cleanliness. This bathroom was very, very clean. On a scale of 10 being the best, this was a 8.5 to 9.0. Pretty clean. For the price (80.00) can't be beat. The breakfast buffet was free, so I'm going to say pricing was reasonable (LOL). They offered hot food. There is not much in the immediate vicinity for food (other than a Shoney's) a the other end of the parking lot. I ate at the hotel as it was first free, and second so much more convenient. Food was hot, good choices. If you are health nut, or a vegan, you might not agree. I'm neither so I was happy. As a photographer who travels up and down the east coast from Maine, to South Carolina I've stayed in better, and admittedly some worse. This was pretty decent and I would not hesitate at all in returning. The front desk was extremely helpful and courteous. Parking was plentiful both when we arrived before checkin (and our room was already waiting for us, very, very nice) and after we went out for the evening and returned later, we still had parking available. Oh. Let's not forget the FREE wi-fi....
Overall, a very, very nice place.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank dallasmorning
Grandville, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

Don't believe the horrible reviews. This place is a wonderful Comfort Inn and looks exactly like the pictures on the website. Check-in was slightly slow but soon we were up to our 3rd floor room. Room had fridge, microwave and coffee maker. Armoire for hanging clothes, chair with ottoman and desk. The king sized bed was very comfortable and there were about 6 pillows on it. The room was clean, the bathroom was clean and the cleaning staff fixed it up nicely while we were gone for the day. The free breakfast had a great selection including juices, milk, biscuits & gravy, sausage and egg patties, cereals, oatmeal, muffins and pastries, waffle maker, bagels and breads..
Parking is right out front. The pool is outdoors and didn't appear to be open anymore this season.
We were in the area for rafting and found this to be one of the closest hotels to the outfitters. There is a Quality Inn about 2 miles up the road and a Holiday hotel (not Holiday Inn) down the road the other way. Our GPS first sent us to the Quality Inn because it is a former Comfort Inn. To get to this hotel turn on Appalachian Dr. off US19. You can see it from US19 but it's set back a bit.
There are restaurants and grocery stores and gas stations nearby. If you want a large selection of chain restaurants (Applebee's, Logan's, etc) you have to go to Beckley-about 20 minutes south.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank oldflame
Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

There isn't much to choose from as far a lodging in Oak Hill. I'd say that New River Comfort Inn is the best of the lot.

The first night there was a strong smell of someone cooking Indian food. Cleanliness is not a priority for the housekeeping staff. There were cigarette burns on the comforter and the floor in the bathroom was not cleaned very well at all. They are also skimpy with towels. Someone needs to inspect the room after housekeeping is done.

The front desk person was nice and friendly.
Kudos also to the breakfast hostess. She was a gem.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

With only three hotels in the immediate area of the activities, this is the best equipped with microwave and frig. However, this hotel is the noisiest place we have ever stayed, the walls and floors must be just up to code? Staff will help if asked but are not very friendly. Cleaning staff needs to be much better, some days they just skip your room, others they remove towels without replacing, and very noisey. You just never know until you return for the day and open the door. We suggest a third floor room to help with the noise. And there goes another door slamming! Would recommend with discloser of these bad points..with not much else in the area.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BillC49
Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

We stayed here two nights. The room was so small we had to get an additional room for the second night. We have two teenagers and the four of us barely fit. There was no place to put either suitcase and the bathroom had zero counter space. We had a non-smoking room but half the floor was smoking rooms and the corridor stunk. It didn't help that the maids were smoking also. On the plus side, the beds were comfortable.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Days Inn Mount Hope
#1 of 1 in Mount Hope
3.0 of 5 stars 251 reviews
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Beckley

Been to New River Inn? Share your experiences!