“Exciting family fun that got them away from their phones”

ACE Adventure Resort - Day Tours
Reviewed June 5, 2014

With three older children and one reluctant wife who quickly became the most enthusiastic rapid runner of us all, Ace provided us with a Lower New River rafting experience that was safe, fun, challenging and exciting. Ask for Kevin (Go Phoenix) to be your guide as he worked tirelessly to make this a memorable white water experience for us all. For a family, I recommend you stay in one of the Ace cabins. We were in a Log Cottage, clean and comfy for a family of five. We did the one-day meal plan and the food was good and plentiful. We recommend the water park for some serious family laughter and silliness (did you see Dad fall?), as well as the zip line and local hiking. From the first phone call to the last-day checkout, every staff member at Ace was helpful, friendly, and genuinely grateful that we had chosen Ace. I have three older children. Anything that gets them to put down their phones for three days is major. And that reluctant wife? She's already talking about returning to take on the Gauley.

Heidi P, Manager at ACE Adventure Resort - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Hey Ray,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write on both our in-house survey system and on Trip Advisor. We appreciate feedback, and I love that you are helping me with the argument I made internally here about all the various names, etc we have on Trip Advisor.

Just so you know, I did ask Trip Advisor the exact question you highlighted in your survey response. For various reasons, they recommended that we keep all SIX versions of ACE on Trip Advisor up. It makes my job incredibly more challenging, but it allows our guests to find us under various "categories" that Trip Advisor allows. Our products are so diverse, we fall into so many of those categories (accommodations, meals, activities, events, etc.)

At any rate, thanks again for the time to fill out the survey and the Trip Advisor response. It's great to hear that we converted your wife into a whitewater addict! I know the feeling well. And we hope your kids survived seeing their parents have as much fun as they did on vacation. gasp… ;)

-Heidi

There are newer reviews for ACE Adventure Resort - Day Tours

Reviewed May 31, 2014

If you make it to central West Virginia in your travels and you're a bit on the adventurous side, the whitewater rafting with ACE is the place to start. Daniel was a fantastic guide - lots of history of the area given when we were not being propelled down Class I-V rapids! Beautiful day, incredible scenery and the water was actually impressively warm.

Their equipment is top-notch, they stop in the middle of this 5-6 hour ride to fix us all a really wonderful lunch (chicken, hamburgers, veggieburgers, tuna, a great assortment of salads, cookies, etc, etc). The second half of the trip is the really exciting half with the Class IV and V rapids, so you may want to think about overeating too much.

I can't think of too many things that would ever give you this much fun, this much thrill, for so little money. An absolute "must do."

Reviewed May 30, 2014

Five friends and I had a great time whitewater rafting on the New River thanks to the folks at Ace Adventures. We took advantage of the half price trip that was offered for Memorial Day. The average age of our group was 60+ and only one had ever done anything like this before, but we had Randy Wills (26 years experience) as our guide and he got us through the trip without mishaps and took us through some of the more difficult sections of the rapids. He also was very informative about the area as we floated along the calmer waters. When I signed us up for the trip I never imagined that novices like us would be navigating through catagory 4 and 5 rapids like that. Also the all day trip included a nice meal provided by the staff. Thank you Randy and all of the staff at ACE Adventures for a fun and safe trip. One more item checked off of our bucket list.

Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

This is the 7th zip-line experience that my teen-age daughter and I have enjoyed. It conpares very favorably with other ziplines in the Carribean and Central America. An outstanding experience, close to home.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Rick and the crew were very accommodating, and made the trip a lot of fun. ACE was the only company that would schedule a trip for us on a Friday so early in the season, and they took great care of us. The equipment was excellent, and they even gave us a discount on the wet-suits. The instruction was helpful and engaging, and we felt like we learned a lot about the right and wrong things to do. On the river, he was very knowledgeable about the river and also the history of the area and the sights along the river. Lunch was phenomenal! A huge spread of food including hot grilled burgers and chicken. I can not imagine the trip being handled any better by the very professional crew.
Back at the camp, they had some photos of us that we could purchase, which we did, even though there was no hard-sell to get us to buy anything. The prices and selection of souvenirs was also a pleasant surprise.
Every detail was clearly considered, and done well. With all of the other activities that are available there, we are already thinking about how to get back there in the summer sometime to enjoy more.

1  Thank Josh S
Heidi P, Manager at ACE Adventure Resort - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Thank you so much for the great review. We are so glad that Rick and the crew were accommodating and made your spring trip in the New River Gorge so much fun! Rafting on the New during this time of year is such a unique experience; great water levels, the river to yourself and the gorge really feels "open" without the foliage. We hope to see you all back in the summer and until then, have a great spring!

Thanks again,