“Awesome rafting - not so awesome cabin”

ACE Adventure Resort - Day Tours
florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Awesome rafting - not so awesome cabin”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My wife, 2 sons and I recently enjoyed a weekend at ACE. We opted to stay on property in a cozy cabin and schedule activities through one of the package deals. We chose the lower New River rafting trip.

The check in guys were extremely friendly and helpful and got us in our cabin early. Suggested wrist bands so we could go enjoy the lake.

On arrival at our cabin, we discovered that the 2 beds in the loft area were 2 tiny 1" thick old soiled mattresses. The kids were looking forward to sleeping up there but abruptly changed their minds upon seeing this. The next option was the futon in the main room, however, the futon is also very old/worn and dirty and certainly not a comfortable place for 2 older teens to sleep. The unit itself was "fair". The bathrooms seemed very clean, but the unit as a whole was not in top condition. I do understand that this is an outdoor adventure / camping style vacation & I was not expecting luxurious accommodations. However, for $200/night, I did expect something a bit nicer than we received. To make matters worse, there was an animal in the ceiling or walls that kept on scratching on the walls the entire night. No sleep for us.

For the awesome part, the rafting & lake activities were spectacular. Our guide, Amy was great & very knowledgeable about the area and knew the river well. We found everyone who worked there very friendly and helpful.

1 Thank clermontcane
Heidi P, Manager at ACE Adventure Resort - Day Tours, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Hello,

My name is Heidi and I work for ACE Adventure Resort. I read your review a few days back and I must apologize for the delay in my response. Although I know you were not necessarily looking for a direct response from us, we do find it incredibly important that our TA reviewers know that we read and forward EVERY single review written about ACE Adventure Resort to the appropriate managers. In your case, this may not make you feel 100% better about your disappointment in one of our Cozy Cabins, but the point I'm trying to make is that your review was read and is taken very seriously.

We loved to hear that you loved the rafting with Amy and playing on our Adventure Lake. Our staff is the heart of our company and we love it when guests can feel the pride they take in their work. Amy is a great asset and we are lucky to have her on our team!

As per the comments about the Cozy Cabin, the most important thing to note is that we sincerely thank you for taking the time to write an honest review about them. Our primary project this winter is to go through and make as many cabin improvements as we can. We have a wide variety of cabin options and over the years, we have continually added more lodging options. Most of our cabins are in spectacular condition. But through the years, it appears some of our older cabins (Cozy Cabins being one of them), could use some updates. Because of reviews like yours, we have moved this project to our top priority for this winter. Although I can not directly fix the experience you already had, I can say that your taking the time to write a review, helps us to be the best we can be. So again, thank you. If you would like to speak to someone directly about your cabin experience, feel free to contact me directly at heidi@aceraft.com.

Thanks again for your review and we hope to see you in the New River Gorge area of WV again soon.

-Heidi Prior
Social Media Manager
ACE Adventure Resort

Frankfort, Illinois
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Had a great vacation at ACE!!”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Ace had GREAT guides that I felt safe with on the white water rafting and zip-lining. Ace did seem a bit unorganized with waivers that we had provided upon our arrival. Front desk staff could have been friendlier upon arrival and check-out, as our business didn't seem appreciated. our Cozi Cabin was adequate for 2 boys and 2 adults. However, the futon was broke upon arriving. Front desk staff again lacked concern about this complaint. Maintenance man replaced it quickly and was helpful. Coffee make was broke and hazardous. Food, especially the oven baked outdoor pizza was great!! We were not part of the boy scouts, and MANY boy scouts are at ACE in July. Good for vacationers to know. Come ready for excursions. They are great!!! Paintball course could use some improvement. Guide was awesome though. My teen and pre-teen boy loved this vacation.

Visited July 2013
Hi Amy,

My name is Heidi and I work on the social media side of things here at ACE Adventure Resort. I read your review a few days ago and just wanted to take a moment to respond. I think responding to reviews like yours is so important because ACE really does read and take all its reviews to heart. Over our 30+ years in business, one thing we've learned is to listen to our guests. We have never claimed to be the fanciest resort on the planet, but we always strive to be one of the friendliest. Your comments about the Cozy Cabin and our Welcome Center staff have been passed on to the appropriate management for their review. Again, it's through honest reviews like yours that we are able to make informed decisions about what improvements we need to work on over our "quiet months". I do know, this winter we plan to work on cabin renovations to all of our older cabins. So thank you for confirming that this decision is sound and something our valued guests would like to see improved.

I'm so glad to hear you loved the wood oven pizza! It's a new addition to the dining options this year, and thus far- it's been a huge hit! I know many employees eat a pizza EVERY single day! We also loved to hear you felt safe on both the zip line tour and the rafting activities. After all, safety is our number one concern and we are proud to hear we accomplished that goal.

I'm not surprised to hear your teen and pre-teen boys loved their time at ACE. It really is a perfect family vacation destination for folks who like to have a little adventure in their vacation mix!

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and we hope to see you again soon!
-Heidi Prior
ACE Adventure Resort
Social Media Manager
Yorktown, Virginia, United States
“Once Again ACE Delivers”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We just returned from another awesome trip to Ace. This place truly is a gem. Who doesn't love family vacations? Now that my kids are getting older (teenagers) we have "graduated" from theme parks and the beach and have made Ace our new summer destination tradition. Ace offers any kind of lodging you can image from tent camping to cabins just like home and SO SO many activities like my favorite white water rafting to paintball to horseback riding. I can see us returning to Ace over and over again as the years come.

This was our third yearly visit to Ace and man it just gets better. I was traveling with my 2 teenagers and for some extra fun we brought two Ace and raft newbies my sister and her husband. For the first time ever we gave tent camping a try (wink wink) we rented tents and sleeping bags from Ace, which was great because like I said we have never tent camped and do not own these things. We did have some serious trouble putting up those tents. It was just our own "survivor skills" fail, we have several laughs and was able to "make it work" but it was VERY OBVIOUS the tents were not right. Oh well, we were looking forward to rafting the next day so we just went with it (a major theme at ACE) We rafted the lower New river all day. As always the rafting was super fun and every time I go I learn more and more about the river. The star of Ace is by far the rafting guides! Three years in a row we have had such an awesome guide. Ace just must have a raft guide factory or something (hahahahaaaa) ok well they clearly know how to hire great guides. They all seem to love the place as much as I do. Lunch cooked by our guides was again yummy. We returned to ACE after 7 hours so it was a FULL day. When we drove up to our campsite I noticed the tents were moved??? What moved? Hey is that tent a different color? Yep, during the day some Ace employee had noticed our pathetic attempt to put up tents AND STOPPED to fix them. We thought one of the tents was missing a piece and that was the tent that was completely replaced. All our belongs were nicely moved as well. My daughter said we were visited by the TENT FAIRY. Its super awesome that someone noticed and went out of their way to fix them for us.

There are only two things I hate about Ace #1 leaving #2 leaving with a little extra West Virginia dirt on my car!!!!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“ACE Lower New River”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I went on the half day tour via ACE on the lower new at 10,000cfs and it was great. Our guide John from Kentucky was excellent. Class 2-5 were on the river that day and a ton of fun. I went with my 2 brothers and sister in law, all in our 30's. Good to be in shape and have good core, hip flexors, and lat's. Were regular people with jobs as doctor, lawyer, consultant, and nurse and we made it without incident. Sore the next day but worth all $118(each). Total tour is 4 hours leaves room to do other things and enjoy the resort. Do it!!! FYI we were all 1st timers.

4 Thank Tony M
Gahanna, Ohio, United States
“Had a blast!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I took my brother, sister (college age) and daughter(teen) for their first rafting trip ever and they had an awesome time. We arrived late Sat night & the gentleman that brought up our rental tent & slumber kit was so helpful. We were setting up by car headlight (family tradition - LOL), and he asked if he could help out with anything. He even started our fire for us to save us some time.
Then our Lower New trip was amazing! Bob was our group leader & raft guide. He was very personable and talked to us all the time. Telling us stories of the area, sharing previous experiences and helping all on board (three families) connect and work together so we could have an awesome trip. Fortunately we had great "raft-mates" and Bob recognized we worked well together so he took us on the really fun waves. The river levels being so high (10,000 ccf) didn't hurt either. :)

The grilled reiverside lunch was delicious and the campsites were large - although VERY wet (puddles and saturated ground) from the rain. The alacarte breakfast sandwiche was really inexpensive and satisfactory and the hostess was very accommodating with our requests, but the dinner buffet was pricey - we passed on that since we just wanted a basic meal. We did enjoy the sandwiches from Lost Paddle - pricing was average.

Overall a FABULOUS experience - I would definitely return and make sure I get Bob as my guide again. I'm sure others are just as good, but he was GREAT! :)