“Rustic and Fine, all in one place!”

ACE Adventure Resort - Day Tours
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had a fun time at ACE, from the lake with all of the water activities, to zip-lining through the trees. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough time to go rafting but we still used every waking minute. Travelling on motorcycles, we had a terrifying ride to our newly-built cabin due to large, unpacked gravel on the new road - but a very accomodating staff sent a true gentleman to give us a ride back down to the lodge for dinner and a movie - he was a saint! Our 1st night was in the Truman Lodge - an old fishing lodge, just like you'd expect. Our 2nd night was in one of the new chalets which was beautiful and comfy. The food was fine, albeit nothing extraordinary - but the staff were all terrific!

Heidi P, Social Media Relations at ACE Adventure Resort - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

I am so glad that you had a fun time at ACE, after all- that is our area of expertise! I just wanted to make sure I thanked you for your honest review and let you know that our limited amount of paved roads is an issue that we are very aware of (especially for our motorcycle guests). Most years we try to take a portion of the budget to pave more of our roads. Regardless, please know that we hear your cry for more paved roads and we promise to keep improving. Thanks again for visiting us!
-Heidi

Reviewed October 27, 2012

We have gone back to ACE again and again. The overnight trips are the best. It's like camping with your parents - you just show up and have fun and the food is AMAZING! The cabins at the resort are really great too. The rafting is awesome and the guides are some of the best. Try it out with the New River trips and build up to the Gauley in the Fall. It's an amazing adventure - well worth the drive and the prices!!

Reviewed October 24, 2012

We've used Ace twice and have had a good experience both times. Our most recent time was a lot of fun for our large family reunion. There are numerous activities that should meet the needs of all different interests in a group. We had a great experience on the water; nice, newer cabins (some are older - you need to clarify with Ace); good amenities on property (restaurants, lake, water toys, paint ball, etc.). Wouldn't hesitate to use them again or recommend their services.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

YES! My family was on a whirlwind trip visiting colleges and we decided to spend the last day rafting. I was very apprehensive - although I love the water and boating and had rafted a couple of times in my younger years, I really didn't want to be cold. Or to get stuck under a rock. We booked our adventure on the lower Gauley River 5 days before we arrived. I talked to the helpful agent about my fears and our lack of experience, and she assured me that we would be well taken care of.

We arrived at ACE about an hour before departure. We were all fitted with full-body wetsuits, including booties, as well as helmets and paddles. We met our guides and then jumped on the bus for the 45-minute trip to the put-in.

We hit the water, and our first rapid, immediately. There was no time to worry about getting wet or cold - actually we never worried about it. We were always wet, but never cold! The guide was fantastic; I'm not sure how Grace, a very petite and energetic young woman, managed to steer and maneuver our 8-person boat by herself for the most part, but she was awesome. The great thing about the Gauley is that there isn't much waiting between rapids; I think our longest "calm" spot was only about 15-20 minutes or so.

Ace, and Grace, were great. We felt safe and warm, and the free beers on the bus trip home, followed by a hot shower in the Ace facility, topped off a wonderful day. I highly recommend this trip to anyone!

Reviewed October 13, 2012

We zipped yesterday at Ace and found it to be the most awesome experience! Although we are from WV, it is an experience like no other. The weather was perfect, the guides incredible and the facilities first-class. Our guides, Eric and Jenn, made the group one of fantastic fun while assuring the safety first kept us all that way! We will be taking guests for this experience any time we can. Thanks!