“Bathrooms need work!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ace Adventure Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oak Hill
Ace Adventure Camp
You added Ace Adventure Camp to your Saves list
Chicago
“Bathrooms need work!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

For this sort of huge resort the bathrooms should be better unkept. Some of them didn't have mirrors, some of them had hair all over the floor and shower, other had little to no good pressure. I don't think it was clean enough. Don't expect to see anything but the hand soap. The campground itself is nice.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Be_Melodyy
Heidi P, Manager at Ace Adventure Camp, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Hi my name is Heidi and I work for ACE Adventure Resort. I read your review today and wanted you to know that it has been passed on to our housekeeping staff as well as our owners for their review. I agree, for a resort of our size, our bathrooms should always be kept clean and tidy for our guests.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, as by doing so you have brought something to our attention to follow through with to ensure other guests do not have the same experience in our bathrooms. We know how good a shower feels after an exhilarating day on the river! You worked hard for that shower, so it should be the perfect end to your day.

Heidi Prior

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Princeton, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We did the one-day adventure: 1/2 day on the lake, 1/2 day whitewater. We got there a bit late in the morning, but made the breakfast - WOW, excellent food. REAL scrambled eggs and great everything else: we overstuffed ourselves. The weather wasn't too hot, so it took us a while to get into the lake activities, but after we did, it was so much fun. I only wish I had a lot more friends to share it with.

We did a quick lunch and then did the lower New 1/2 day trip: mostly 3-4's with 1 or 2 C5s. My 14 year old daughter, who never did this before, was a bit nervous with all the warnings, but by the 2nd C4, she was loving it! Our guide, Bryant, was excellent! All my family had a blast!

We got back to the camp and then had dinner. WOW! King crab legs that were better than any I've had in a while (put Atlantic City's buffets to shame!). The garlic mashed, the cobbler, the roast, the everything! We went back to the lake and hung out, but I wish I had more time to stay there.

I will say, the staff here is always ready to help! I can't believe I only had 1 day to do this, but my family is looking to going back again! This is one cool place! If you're not staying on camp, definitely bring a change of clothes and stay as long as you can. Even the guests were nice to meet and chat with.

We didn't stay on camp, so I can't comment, but I did stay in Beckley at a nice hotel and the drive was under 1/2 hour which wasn't bad.

Last comment, if you're out of state, be diligent to stick to the speed limit - especially on 19. I didn't get caught, but I met those who did... Romans 12:1-2

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Heidi P, Manager at Ace Adventure Camp, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Hello to the Comeau Family from NJ!

Thank you so much for the great review of ACE Adventure Resort. We read all of our reviews and we love it when we get ones with honesty and great remarks like yours. I can totally relate, good food on vacation is a must! So we are so happy to hear we "wow"ed you on one of the best parts of being on vacation! I'll make sure Felix and the entire Food and Beverage staff get to read your comments. They work hard to make our buffet one of the best in the business!

And finally, your remark about the driving the speed limit on Rt 19- well, it's sad to say, but you are spot-on. Even if you don't have out-of-state plates, make sure you drive the speed limit anywhere in between Beckley and Summersville. This being a top tourist spot, our officers like to patrol it heavily. We like to think it keeps us all safe!

Thanks again and we hope your next visit is longer than just one awesome day!
-Heidi Prior
Lexington, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was our first time at ACE and driving 4 1/2 hours from Kentucky, most--but decidedly not all-of it was well worth the time and expense. The best value, hands down, was the white water trip down the New River. Traveling with two children, ages 9 and 11, my husband and I appreciated the wonderfully personable, knowlegeable and skilled guides who accompanied us on the day-long, 12-mile excursion. My daughter and I thrilled to the larger, more stable raft while the boys enjoyed the more wet and wild experience, closer to the river, paddling in the two-person ducky. We ended the trip in a torrential downpour--and absolutely exhilarated. Worth every penny (approximately $140 for adults including extra neopryne jacket rental and $60 for children)!

Not worth the money, on the other hand, was the large but very dated two-bedroom Dogwood Chalet. Other than the hot tub, we couldn't believe the $250 price tag. When we arrived, there was no toilet paper in the single bathroom, and everything from the carpets to the window shades were faded and worn. We even had to call maintainence to get the old washer/dryer to work. My husband said the more honest marketing would call it an amazing hot tub, with a cabin thrown in. We originally wanted to stay there to have a warm place to go from the base of ACE but found that the only way to get to the cabin was via a treacherous 10-15 minute drive uphill as it was very far from the ACE waterfront.

Speaking of which--the waterfront is SPECTACULAR! We could have spent days enjoying the beach, clear lake, zip line and inflatables scattered throughout. SO much fun! If we were unable to do any other activities, we would have been fine hanging out on the waterfront for two days straight!

Room Tip: Do not stay in the Dogwood Chalet on site! If you want to be sure you have a warm and dry pad, go w...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 stars
Heidi P, Manager at Ace Adventure Camp, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Hey Rachel,

Thanks so much for your review. We really love to hear how people enjoyed their stay and adventures with ACE Adventure Resort. Also, thank you for taking the family on the 4.5 hour road trip from KY to WV. We can all relate to how road trips with children can turn out. So thanks for taking "the plunge", so to speak with us on this vacation. We loved hearing that the Upper New River trip was the perfect fit for your family. The river is a magical place and watching kids faces light up in such a natural environment is truly priceless.

As per your comments about the Dogwood Cabin, I just personally want to reach out to you and let you know that your review IS being read by people at ACE that care. I will make sure that our owners read this review so that thoughts like yours will help affect decisions about future improvement projects etc. By you taking the time to write such a review, it helps us with such important decisions. So thanks again, for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. After all, you (and guests like you) are our most important asset.

Enjoy the rest of your summer and we hope to see you and the family again when the crew is old enough for the Lower New River!

-Heidi Prior
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My husband and I booked a 4 day vacation for our family (3 adult children with their significant others) with Ace Adventures and were extremely pleased. We stayed in the Aspen cabin and everything was beyond our expectations. Remember you are in the hills of West Virginia and are roughing it, well that is is you consider 2 bathrooms, hot tub, fully stocked kitchen, air conditioning and satellite TV roughing it. It was clean and very well kept, clean linens and towels, no complaints. The staff were very pleasant and accommodating from the front desk at check in to the knowledgeable and funny guides during our rafting and zip lining excursions. We were unfortunately bumped from the lower New to the Upper New due to extremely high water but our guide Kelly tried to make the most of it and almost pulled off making the upper as adventurous as the lower. We gave her an A for effort. Danielle and crew (sorry I don't remember the rest of the names) made zip lining a riot. If your looking for a fun and adventurous family trip this is the one.

3 Thank snicks5
ACE M, ACE Marketing at Ace Adventure Camp, responded to this review, 1 week ago
I really appreciate you taking the time to write this review! I'm so happy that you enjoyed staying with ACE! We pride ourselves in having an amazing staff, and I'm incredibly glad that you recognized this! Come back and see us again soon!

Chelsea B.
Tampa, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

We just returned from five days at ACE Adventure Camp, with my friend, my daughter, and her friend. While there, we stayed in the cedar cabins, which were immaculate and smelled wonderful; the bathhouse, about a 30 second walk away, was kept clean and tidy as well, and was serviced several times throughout the day. The beds were quite comfortable, with trundles under each of two double beds in the cabin. Our only complaint was that we had to share a fire ring with the cabin next to us, but there were other places to go to have a fire as the camp was not crowded at all. This may be an issue if you're set on having a fire at night and the camp is full. ACE guides were helpful, knowledgeable, and for the most part very patient. For instance, my daughters friend was reluctant to repel down the side of the hill. The guide coaxed and encouraged him. When it became apparent that he was not going to repel (which was handled discreetly by letting the others go first so he wouldn't have an audience) the counselor was understanding, gave him kudos for trying anyway, and the young man left the experience without repelling but with pride still intact! No small thing, in my opinion.

As for the activities, they were worth the price and not out of line in comparison with other camps and activities! We did zip-lining, climbing, repelling, ATVing, and kayaking. The lake ($12.00/day) was not really worth the money for adults (no place to swim) but for kids it's a great place to cool off and have fun. All are required to wear life jackets in the lake; it is apparent that it's safety first and foremost at ACE for all adventures.

The food, however, needs improvement. Very expensive breakfast buffed with mediocre warm food. Dinner buffet a bit better, but not worth the money. Eat outside the camp, if you can.

As for other restaurants in the area, and I cannot stress this enough, eat at Vandalians! The food was a bit pricey, but well worth it in comparison to other places. Delicious, unusual fresh combinations, upscale atmosphere, and thoroughly enjoyable. The Secret Sandwich Society is also a great place to have a bite. We enjoyed Pies and Pints as well. Take my advice, though, and avoid Diogios, which served Mexican food. I paid $49.00 for food which was overly expensive in relation to the quality. In fact, my friend couldn't finish her meal as it was much too spicy and did not contain the ingredients it said it would! You may as well eat at the camp and save the gas money!

All in all, ACE Adventure Camp is a great experience and provided us with a relaxing time as well as an adventure to remember for a long time to come! We had a blast, and will definitely return there again, hopefully in the near future! Go there, and see for yourself!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
      Rooms
2 Thank we3intampa
Burlington, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

My sister and I recently stayed at the Ace Adventure campgrounds while hiking the local trails. The facilities met all our needs, including enforced quiet time at night which was nice. The shower and bathroom facilities were cleaned daily and there was a large 2 sink basin available for cleaning camping and cooking equipment; everything was located within a decent distance to your campsite. The campsite lots were located in a field, reasonably sized, and every site had a personal fire ring. Firewood and ice are available on the premises although they did not do a good job at keeping the firewood covered when it rained - so make sure to bring plenty of kindling just in case. We hiked a few of the trails on site which was convenient. Overall, I was happy with the experience and would use Ace Adenture Camp again.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Nottingham, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

We have stayed in many of the accommodations from tenting, group cabins, chalets and cozy cabins and have found that they continually seem to make changes, mostly for the better. I plan on going back again in July and will try the cedar cabins this time (no bathroom but a bed is more important for these older bones). Tenting is getting a little unconfortable as we grow older. Have recommended this place to many firends and family members and have had the same complaint over and over (the food). However not one complaint about the accommodations or activities.

That being said, the food facilities are very lacking. The Paddle Lounge serves good hamburgers along with great fries and several other good meals but the hours of operation leave a lot to be desired. There is a large block of time when there is nowhere on property to get a bite to eat. If you come back around 3 pm from an activity and are hungry you are out of luck finding something to eat until I believe around 5:30 pm So either bring something quick to fix like sandwiches for the middle of the day or go off site. The buffet (breakfast or dinner) is not something I would serve to anyone or anything let alone people who are paying top dollar. Not only is it poor quality, hot food was cold food and cold food was warm and even the service was terrible. The one thing I did find at the buffet that was definately worth eating was the dessert and pastries during my last visit. The walk-up food service area is adequate but a little lacking in appearance and comfort. Lines form and you find yourself standing in the hot sun for long periods of time with little relief from it or other weather conditions.

The only activities we have not participated in is the ATV, Fishing and Catwalk tours. Have loved all but the horses, it is strictly a follow along at a snails pace ride and we are looking for a little more than that at an adventure facility.

Rafting is our first love followed by rock climbing and now the new Canopy Tour (what a rush that was). Hope to one day get up enough nerve to run the Gauley but don't know if that will ever happen but both our kids have done it and loved it...

I should also mention the interaction with the guide staff. In all the time we have been going here we have only run into one guide who, just lets say, was not having his best day. All the other people we have interacted with have been respectful, considerate, informative and appear to enjoy what they are doing and that shows in the way they treat the customers. This also inlcudes a friendly and informative reservation staff. (Thanks Monica)

I would be remiss if I do not comment on the way all the guides stress safety. It really does come to the forfront in every activity.

If you like the outdoors and don't mind getting a little dirty or wet ACE is the place to take the young and old alike. Have not stayed there during the winter but have been told that if you are looking for a lot of peace and quiet for a few days it is the place to go. (they do have heated facilities).

Just wish I were young enough to spend my summers working there (what a blast I think that would be).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Comfort Inn New River
Comfort Inn New River
#2 of 4 in Oak Hill
3.5 of 5 stars 123 reviews

Been to Ace Adventure Camp? Share your experiences!