“Can't wait to come back!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oak Hill
ACE Adventure Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Oak Hill
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have been to ACE at least 3-4 times in the past. We first came to ACE 20 years ago before marriage/kids. Our last time here was 10 years ago. ACE has never disappointed and has only gotten better with time! The resort has grown to include a variety of lodging, numerous activities, and a lake full of fun. This time we came with our kids (ages 13 & 10) and my parents (in their 60s). We rafted the Upper New River, which was a good intro to whitewater. Now we can't wait to come back and raft the Lower New next summer! We spent a whole afternoon playing in and around the lake on all the big inflatable slides/jungle gyms, as well as playing tetherball and pingpong. The tetherball itself will need to be replaced soon and they could use another pingpong table with paddles/balls because there were often people waiting. But you could not say you're bored here. We will be back!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
There are newer reviews for ACE Adventure Resort

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Wow, what a fun filled destination! We went just for the day but easily could have enjoyed 2 or 3 days with all of the fun activities.

In addition, the staff is FANTASTIC! Everyone is friendly, helpful and outgoing. They helped my children with life jackets, rock wall climbing, raft paddling and much much more!!!

Food is very good (pulled pork, pizza, etc) and prices are very fair!

Signs guide you into Ace Adventures through a sleepy little town and on substandard roads, thanks Ace for the signs!!!

Highly recommend for kids and adults. Even little ones (my youngest is 4) as they happily accommodate!!!

Enjoy!!

1  Thank Melissalynn3
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Myself and 3 buddies drove 10 hours from Chicago and it was worth every minute in the truck. We stayed in a log cottage which had a bunk bed, two Queen beds, and a futon. The air conditioning was great, we kept it at 65 the entire week. The hot tub, porch, and picnic table outside were in great condition. We rafted the upper gauley and it was such an amazing trip we cancelled our zip lining for the next day and rafted the upper gauley again. Jeff Cogle, or trip leader and guide for the day was fantastic. He had an amazing amount of knowledge and was pleased to em part any and all of it on us. He put us in places that we didn't know were possible and we had a very safe yet thrilling experience. The second day on the upper gauley was spent with Derek, or D-rock as he is affectionately called. The second day we went down the river with 9 other rafts and d-rock made our raft look like it was full of a bunch of pro rafters in comparison. He was hilarious and an amazing guide. He kept us very safe while again making the trip fun and exhilarating. If you are looking for a first rafting trip, start on the upper or lower New River and graduate to the Gauley once you are sure you are looking for a bigger challenge. The owners of ACE can be seen walking around and one of them was at the lost paddle bar and grill with us on Friday night. All the staff was wonderful, from the front desk staff, to the kitchen staff, the bus drivers to the guides, everyone was extremely nice and went far out of their way to be accommodating. I will be coming back to WV for the amazing rafting and I will be going back to ACE for the service and the fantastic staff. Do yourself a favor and book your next rafting trip with ACE.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Brad H
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband and I took our 4 kids (12, 14, 16 & 18 yrs old) rock climbing/rappelling and rafted the lower new this week. We had a GREAT time. I can't say enough good things about Ace, every aspect of our trip was outstanding and exceeded our expectations. Every staff member we met was amazing, so helpful, polite and seemed to love their job. Don was our guide, he was a great teacher. He explained everything well, I feel like we all learned a lot and had fun doing it. We stayed in the log cottage, we loved it. Very clean and neat. The beds and pillows were SO comfortable, even the sheets were nice. The hot tub was a nice treat after long days playing outside. Ace lake was a lot of fun with the zip line in the water, giant slide, and water toys. We ate at all 3 restaurants and they were all excellent and reasonably priced. We took this vacation as possibly the last family vacation with all of the kids together, since one is leaving for college next month and the others will soon follow. I'm so glad we chose Ace and made such great memories with our kids. These people know this business and do it well. It was well worth the price.

Room Tip: We loved the log cottage on turkey spur.
1  Thank travelgrlUsa
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We wanted a very base level camping experience with fun activities with easy access to information and help if we needed it. Ace was the perfect spot for us. We'll definitely visit again. The river trip and the horseback ride were fantastic.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Heidi P, Manager at ACE Adventure Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Thanks so much for the honest review of our resort. We now have a new goal! Next time we hope to impress you with 5 stars! :)

Thanks again for taking the time to write something up. We read every review and try to learn from all of them.

-Heidi Prior
Social Media Manager
ACE Adventure Resort

Reviewed July 18, 2013

First time at ACE, but sure will go back soon. My family and I are from Texas, second time we went rafting, but this experience was the best, Scottie O definitely is an awesome guide and tells you everything you have to do, paddle hard and he'll show you a great adventure.

Room Tip: If capping make sure you're prepared.
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Rafting is a five star. Average rating reflects Pet Friendly Accommodations. Left with an overall of Very Good.

We were looking for a fun family adventure and were delighted to find a Travelzoo discount for River Rafting in W. VA. The original deal was for the Upper New River, but after looking at the reviews and pictures we asked if we could do the Lower New. Our daughter was only 9 so we needed to provide height, weight, chest and waist measurements when we made our reservation to get the approval. Tyler was very patient with all of my questions, and worked us through the whole process very professionally. At the time of reservation (Late May/Early June for mid-July trip), we decided to tent camp based on average temperatures at that time of year.

Upon arrival, our check-in was smooth and painless. We were directed to a quiet campsite that would accommodate our dog. The campsite was not not set as far back as I had hoped, but it was in a less populated part of the resort. When tent camping, I like a little more seclusion. The bathrooms had flush toilets and a nice hot shower. If the cleaning person had taken a bit more time to remove the cobwebs it would have been appreciated. Showers and flush toilets are a luxury when camping, but if they are going to be provided and (obviously) cleaned, then that extra step would be appreciated. The night cooled down, but the rain kept us boxed in. That was not the resort's problem but it made for a long night!

The day of rafting was very overcast with rain threatening at any moment. When we arrived at the orientation, our guide told us that the river was running 9.5 feet over normal July flows which would make for bigger waves. I was a bit nervous at that point with my decision to bring my 9 year old daughter and my 12 year old son. She gave us a worst case scenario of everything that could go wrong, but assured us that she would have us in her boat and that she would take a conservative line. We decided to go ahead with it at that point. While getting outfitted with our PFD's, the people helping us asked which trip we were on. When we said "Lower New", the comment was; "I do not know who is granting exceptions now, but we would not recommend anyone younger than 14 be on the Lower New at these levels." I was once again wondering if my husband and I were nuts for continuing.

I should not have worried. Eileen was Fantastic!! I really cannot say enough about her to convey how great a guide she was. She sized up the people to fill the three boats, and ensured that we had a good crew. She had a guide-in-training (James) sit right behind my daughter and told him that she was his "special project". Eileen took us through our paces in the flatter water, and got us used to working together. Up until lunch, it is Class II through IV. After lunch, (hamburgers, chicken or veggiburgers cooked by the guides) she got us synched again and then really stepped up our practice by calling a variety of strokes through a class III that had us thinking. Then we hit the class V! Eileen briefed us just prior to going in on what to expect and what to look for along with which way to swim if we got dumped out. It was amazing!!! We got through all the rapids with no problems and got to do some "surfing" along the way. We also got to rescue a kayaking videographer along the way. My kids were grinning ear-to-ear and had the time of their lives as did my husband and I. The rest of our boat mates were also clearly having fun. My daughter got to paddle where it was just flowing, but then put up her paddle and just hung on giving little yells of joy. I would go back and ask for Eileen in a minute!

Upon our return, we got to have a great hot shower in the bathrooms by the departures. Very clean and nice. Then we saw the video (purchase in the morning for a $15 discount as you will want it!) and bought a picture. The pictures are a bit pricey, but we could not pass it up. It looked like another night of thunderstorms, which we were not looking forward to as it was so warm so we tried to change to another accommodation. The only thing available that would include our dog was a tent cabin. We would have been fine with it if it had been in good repair. The frame had large gaps which we knew would let in mosquitos, and there was mold on the canvas. The front office staff really did their best to help us out, and promptly refunded the price of the upgrade when we said it would not work. The combination of weather and heat had us pack up and leave a day earlier than we had planned. It was too bad as there were cabins available, but they would not allow pets. If Ace could expand on their pet accommodations, particularly in an all wood cabin, it would improve my perception immensely. I paid an extra $25 for my dog to be in a tent which seems a bit steep considering that is what I pay to have her stay at a 5-star hotel and I am not limited in which room I can sleep in. That is my only real complaint.

Staff was excellent and tried to be helpful everywhere. It is not cheap, but it was the experience of a lifetime.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Heidi P, Manager at ACE Adventure Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Hi Stacy,

Thanks so much for taking the time to give our resort an honest review. It's through reviews like yours, that we learn so much about how to better our resort and consistently strive for the best customer service in our industry. I've had the pleasure of working closely with Tyler for a long period of time. He really is a patient man, and his deep knowledge of our products make it effortless for him to stay focused on the main goal = customer service. ACE has been lucky to have both he and some of his family members be such crucial players in the growth of ACE over the years.

Eileen is also someone I know well. She is the full package when it comes to professional raft guides. She is great "on the stick" as we call it, but most importantly she is great with customers of all types- especially kids! I'm so glad that she made you and your family feel safe, yet have fun on the Lower New during unseasonably higher water. What a water year we've had!

As a dog owner myself- I totally understand how important it is to have your best friend along for vacation time. This is our first year allowing dogs on property and we still have a lot to learn. Your comments will be passed to our owners. They too, love dogs, but it's been a liability issue that we've been uncertain about. I, personally, was so happy that we even allowed dogs on property this year, words can't even express. However, I do understand there are so many dynamics to managing a policy change such as this. Again, it's through reviews like yours that we can learn what is important to our guests and try to relentlessly strive to exceed our customer's expectations.

Thanks Stacy and we hope to see you and your family again. It sounds like the New River Gorge did exactly what we know it to do; it get's the "kids grinning ear-to-ear".

Enjoy the rest of your summer!

-Heidi Prior

Days Inn Mount Hope
Days Inn Mount Hope
#1 of 1 in Mount Hope
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Beckley East

Been to ACE Adventure Resort? Share your experiences!