“Inattentive Staff Costs It One Rating Point”

DelFino's Pizza and Ice Cream
Ranked #1 of 30 Restaurants in Oak Hill
Cuisines: American
Reviewed December 23, 2012

DelFino's has been open several months now. The food is still good, especially the kaiser buns used on some of their sandwich selections. But the service hasn't improved since my last review a few months back.

Granted there was a large party that came in after we ordered our food. As soon as they placed their order our waitress disappeared. There was no follow-up for quite some time and my table mate's order for dessert was delayed for approximately 20 minutes. We were ready to leave when a second waiter finally brought the dessert. We asked for a to-go bag.

I noticed that the large table of guests next to us were not given plates or utensils. It just seems that the wait staff can't get the basics right. They have no problem apologizing all over themselves over and over again, but nothing changes.

Don't give up on this place, though. The food is good and it is in a good location. Maybe the staffing issues will be resolved in time.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Tried this new restaurant in town twice so far. Each time the food has been very good--BBQ platter with onion rings the first time and pizza the next time.

My issue so far is with the wait staff and speed of delivery. We waited a full 30 minutes for our meal the first time we ate there. I had ordered the BBQ with onion rings, and my table mate had ordered a chicken breast sandwich with onion rings. Our waiter (in his early 20s) seemed to know nothing about his job. No silverware on the table. We had to ask after he had delivered the food. Then he completely disappeared from the dining room and never returned. We had to get the attention of another waitress and she asked us to describe him to her! Eventually, she gave up looking for him and came back and asked us what we had eaten. She created a new ticket and handed it to us. I paid with my debit card and she was completely incapable of ringing up my meal and swiping my debit card. Eventually she got help from someone else.

The food: The BBQ sandwich was very good, and so were the onion rings. The standout was the kaiser roll that came with the BBQ--it was very fresh and perfectly complemented the meat.

On another occasion, we ordered the pizza, which was well prepared with a tasty medium thin crust. The ingredients were fresh and the flavors were robust. (The pizza still took over 30 minutes to reach the table.)

Maybe in time the wait staff and the cooks will pick up some speed, but this is not a place you want to go for lunch if you have a limited amount of time.