“An average hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Oak Hill
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“An average hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We used this hotel due to it's location near New River Gorge. Sadly however the weather didn't allow us to see the gorge before we left which was a shame. The lady at the reception when we arrived was friendly and checked us in with no bother. Once in the room I had to return to check in to ask about the internet password, which maybe should have been given on arrival. On closer inspection of the room we discovered dirty bed sheets, so I returned again to the front desk. She brought us clean sheets and also offered to change the beds but as my two children were already changed I declined this offer. The bathroom was smaller than usual with no where really to put anything and with 4 of us sharing was cosy, but as this was only an overnight stop was not really a huge problem. However in the morning it was discovered that a couple of the towels were also dirty/stained. The breakfast room was being renovated so it was served in the lobby, surprisingly this was ok. There was plenty of choice and it was clean and the staff member kept an eye on things and restocked when necessary, however had there been any more guest's that just my family in there at the time there would not have been space to sit. We have stayed in quite a few Choice hotel properties and this one fell into the bracket of average price and good location but did nothing to make it stand out as either the best or worst.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a very nice hotel with a very friendly staff. The location is by far the best aspect of this hotel. The room was nice, bed was comfortable and there was nothing broke in the room. Breakfast was free and not too crowded. The hallway could use new carpet and the AC in the hallway was broke which made it a bit uncomfortable.

I would stay here again if I am going to visit the gorge again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Roseville, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed at this hotel twice during a recent vacation. The first room had a smell of old smoke. Just in case, I brought a candle with me to mask unwanted smells. The second room did not have the old smoke odor. The staff was pleasant upon each registration. The rooms were clean and each had a newer 32" flat screen TV, microwave, and fridge. The bathroom is a bit smaller than newer hotels....no counter top space. Rooms were clean upon arrival. We used the facility's washing machine and dryer and they both worked well. Cost is $1.50 each. Breakfast was very tasty with lots to choose from....yogurt, eggs, sausage, sausage & gravy, biscuits, blueberry and regular waffles, hard boiled eggs, bagels, and more. The outdoor pool is closed for the season, however, it backs up against a beautiful rock wall. I used the fitness center once. Small but adequate for cardio machines (treadmill, stair climber, and cycle). Flat screen TV provided in fitness area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Smells like mold from the minute you enter. We purchased air fresheners and left window open but still could not get rid of the smell in our room. Carpet is stained and needs replaced. There were spider webs in the hall window and it was left open (I guess to try to rid the hallway of the musty smell as well.) Would rather have stayed in Beckley and driven further to our destination than to stay in this overpriced, poorly maintained hotel.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank LoveToDive55
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I have stayed in many Comfort Inns and this is by far the worst...and worst hotel I have stayed in. The hotel is in a great location for Adventures on the Gorge, but sometimes, location isn't everything. When walking into the lobby, all the lights were off. Most of the lights were off in the whole hotel. No, the electricity wasn't off, I think they were trying to conserve energy (not that that is a bad thing). The room smelled like someone had smoked in the room, along with a damp mold smell on top of the smoke. The carpet needed replaced, and the sheets had black marks on them. The breakfast room is entirely too small for the guests and poorly laid out. In fact, we just turned around and went to Sheetz for breakfast. The best experience the entire time there was checking out.

Room Tip: Don't bother because you can hear everything from every room as we had a big party staying at th...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HannahRattigan
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

First let me say that we have stayed at the Comfort Inn New River in Oak Hill WV previously and loved our stay. This year, we stayed the first weekend in August. I left several articles of clothing and a small jewelry bag behind by mistake. I realized I left these items as soon as I arrived home and called the hotel immediatley. I was told my items were there but the clerk had no idea how I could get my items back and told me to call the next day and speak with the manager. To make a very long story short, by the time my articles were located again, the jewelry was missing. I went back and forth with the staff , one day my items were there, with the exception of the jewelry and the next day, they couldn't find anything. I left 2 messages for the manager who never bothered to call me back. The last time I called, I asked to leave the manager another message but he actually answered the phone. I explained the situation and his response to me was he was offended that I was accusing one of his staff of theft. All I know is my jewelry was there one day and gone the next. I am STILL waiting for my clothing to arrive at my home COD. ( 5 weeks later). I called the corporate office of Choice Hotels and since this location is independently owned and operated, there was nothing they could do. They told me to make a claim on my homeowner's insurance. No one cares that there is a thief at the Comfort Inn New River! I did call the local police and file a report. I will never see my jewelry again, but I hope by leaving this review, you will avoid staying at this hotel. Please, do not stay here. There are many other hotels in the area that will treat their customers better.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Tami P
Winston Salem, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I have been attending a reunion in the area for several years and short of commuting to Summersville, Beckley or Charleston, this hotel is the best that you are going to find. I will continue to look around because the breakfast isn't very good, our room was a non-smoking unit but smelled like an ash tray, the air conditioner took 6 hours to cool the room down, the outdoor pool was filthy and for a third time (once for a funeral, once for business and once for this year's reunion) in the last 9 months, the staff was less than friendly. The place always seems crowded, so maybe the staff is stressed and doesn't have time to clean the pool or smile when asked a question. It seems that if business is soooo good that a little more effort could be spent on improving the breakfast bar. I recommend that travelers who are passing through find a room before they get this far or drive a little farther down the road.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Days Inn Mount Hope
Days Inn Mount Hope
#1 of 1 in Mount Hope
3.0 of 5 stars 236 reviews

Been to Comfort Inn New River? Share your experiences!