River Expeditions Whitewater Rafting
Ranked #2 of 10 things to do in Oak Hill
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience whitewater rafting and scenic float trips on the New River and Gauley River in West Virginia. We also offer: Fire Creek Lodge and Conference Center Dining Area Outfitters Store Welcome Center & Campstore Massage Studio & Spa Outdoor Pool & Hot Tub Zipline - new for 2014! Kid's Arcade Disc Golf Sand Volleyball Horseshoe Pits Cornhole games Hiking Trails ATM Pet Friendly environment
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My wife was the successful bidder on a white water rafting trip & we opted for the lower New River. This was our 1st time & we can't wait to do it again. I have to say the only issue we had was booking our trip but after a few phone calls & discussions with the staff problems were quickly dealt with. We elected to stay at the Comfort Inn, very close to the property, not wanting to "rough it". They provide camping or cabin options & next time we may choose to stay there since it seemed to be very well maintained with pool, hot tub, food & drink available. The rafting trip was incredible, our guide John Petty was excellent & all in our group had a blast. Can't wait to do it again, next time with our 12 year old grandson.

1  Thank Dakarrs

Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

We booked a rafting trip on the Lower New River for 3 of us (including our 12 yr old son). We had the best time ever, and can't wait to go again! Staff was friendly, the guides knowledgable and friendly as well. We had 8 per raft, and only had 4 rafts in our group. None of us had rated before, and our guide, Kyra, was perfect! Can't say enough good things - I highly recommend!

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We booked a 6 person Lower Gauley Rafting Trip during their famous dam release. Let me say it was PHENOMENAL!! We booked the overnight package with the meal plan and it was worth it. We arrived Friday night and tent camped in a beautiful area. The only downside was we had to park our car a short distance away from our campsite and walk which is "ok", but not optimal. We took advantage of the Red Dog Saloon and it was a lot of fun. They have live bands that play on the weekends and a great bartender - Jen. The next morning we were greeted with a continental breakfast in their restaurant. It was ok. It consisted of fresh fruit (apples, bananas, oranges), various mini muffins, donuts, English muffins, coffee, and juices. Next, we started our adventure with a 1 hour+ bus trip to where the rafts "put in". We were told to ask for Justin as our guide and we also recommend him! He was very patient, clear and concise with the paddling techniques, and kept us safe! You can't ask for much more. Plus, he's a likeable guy. The Lower Gauley is a great trip before you do the big daddy, the Upper Gauley. The Lower Gauley has class 3-5 rapids and the scenery is unparalleled. Mid-way through the trip you stop off and have a river side picnic. Then it's back to more fun filled rapids. At the end of the trip you receive beer, sodas, or water for the ride back home. That ride is a lot quicker and is all highway. You have an hour once you arrive back at camp where you can take advantage of the clean showers filled with HOT water. You can go back to the restaurant and pick up your piping hot, delicious food and take it over to the saloon to watch the video of your rafting trip.

The facilities at this place are really clean and good! From what I understand, it is still mom & pop owned & I'm one of those that like supporting the small business owners. They have an in ground pool and 18 person hot tub and they are not far from stores if you forgot anything.

TIP--Before you go, get neoprene socks and gloves. They don't cost that much and are worth it. If you don't have a wetsuit & don't want to invest in one, then I recommend renting one with the jacket at the rafting place. $25 and it's worth it to stay warm and dry!

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Our kayak group from TN was going to stay in one of their rustic cabins and rent some of the family tents. They would not rent to us just the cabin because we were not willing to purchase any other activities. ACE Adventure did not require us make additional purchases. Our kayak group of 275 people will never use this company and I suggest the same. Go with ACE they treat you with respect or another local company.

1  Thank rusty b
riverexpeditions, Owner at River Expeditions Whitewater Rafting, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Hello -

Thank you for your consideration of River Expeditions. I'm sorry for your disappointment; however, our resort, amenities, etc. are for the exclusive use of our rafting/adventure guests. This policy applies equally to everyone, regardless of group size.

I hope you have a wonderful visit to West Virginia!

Sincerely yours,
Heather Johnson
River Expeditions

Reviewed September 10, 2012

I went down to West Virginia as the dam was letting out the water to create class 5 rapids on the Gauley river. It was my first experience and have to say that River Expeditions did a fantastic job in the organization, safety, tour and activities throughout the day. We started off arriving early in the morning (you have to be there 1 hour before you depart). It was chilly so we rented wet suits and jackets for $25. They have a free continental breakfast upstairs and the cook there makes extras for the "premium" breakfast and leaves it for anyone to take (first come first serve situation...pancakes and eggs create a battle ground). Anyway the trip has a safety instructions on the boat and when you arrive at the Gauley you get split up into rafts and off you go. The guides are really helpful, we had to play safety for the other three rafts that came along. One cool thing to do is they have an area you can swim (or float rather) down the river and even have a jumping rock. Also the lunch had a great view and we had BBQ alongside the river (burgers, chicken, and veggie patties with chips, salsa, drinks, pasta, brownies, etc).

For my first rafting trip I'm really glad we too it. It cost about $120 a person I believe, but feel like it was worth it. Good service, great trip, thanks for making my first rafting experience positive!