“Mardi Gras”

Mardi Gras Casino & Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nitro
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Was going to the Charleston WV area to see a Cirque Du Soleil show decided to stay at the Mardi Gras. Was a great location close to everything the hotel was like brand new great pool area. Rooms were clean and we slept great never heard anything. The breakfest in the morning was great made to order omellets fried potatoes sausage /bacon and everthing else you would want. Casino was really nice and the restaurants were really great. Also had dog track and you could bet the dogs or horses. The staff at this Hotel was excellent this is exactly how a hotel should be run and kept up.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank RayG2U

Reviewed September 14, 2012

We were going to be on the road for at least 8 nights so I was pleased to find this hotel. We are not gamblers, but thought this would be different and fun. The resort is very nice, rooms large, has all amenities, and very clean. We went into the casino, but only put $5 into the slots (big spenders). It was something to do after dinner. Breakfast was nice. The only negative was the restaurant which I will report on separately. Fun and different from the usual hotels.

Room Tip: Don't expect too much from the restaurant and you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This experiance was one of the best I have had in a hotel. The building is new, and emmaculately clean. The large property offers every ammenity you could ask for. The price in amazing for the room size, bar opportunites, resteraunts, gaming, pool, hot tub, and technology. Everything in sight is new. Security is tight, and made us feel safe. Room was HUGE and offered us more then we expected. EXTREMELY comfortable bed. Pool and Hottub are inside, but have two HUGE bay doors leading to an outside deck. We lounged in the hot tub with a drink, watching Monday night football. Casino is open 24/7 giving you a chance to get a late night snack/drink or just find something to do! We loved it so much we extended our stay another night, and staff was overly friendly and happy to talk to us and make arraingements to keep us in the same room. Breakfast in NOT Continental. Its a whole big ordeal. Several chefs making meals to order with MANY options. Ordered room service (24 hours a day) and they delievered an AWESOME pizza very quickly. The prices were very reasonable - 18 inch pizza for $16 will work for me EVERYTIME. Great location, a 1 or 2 minute drive from the resort is a Walmart, several resteraunts, movie theater. Short 15 minute drive to several sport venues and the capital complex (surely worth the trip!) At night there were several events taking place, and a car show. Always something to do! Do your self a favor even if you don't gamble and stay at this AMAZING resort!

Room Tip: Room on first floor is closer to casino/pool/hottub/bars 2nd floor is closest to ice and vending ma...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I highly recommend Mardi Gras Casino in Nitro, WV. The staff is very professional. I had left one of my favorite t shirts in my room. I got a call from the front desk an notified me that i left my shirt. They mailed it to me the next day. The suite was beautiful with a hot tub and the linens were awesome. The staff was very friendly and the breakfast provided in the morning was made to order. We will go back the to this hotel the next time we are in the area. We were very happy.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

We stayed one evening in a suite at Mardi Gras. The suite was beautiful with a hot tub and the linens were awesome. The staff was very friendly and the breakfast provided in the morning was made to order. Holly Wills helped secure the reservation for us and answered every question we had. Thanks, Holly and Mardi Gras for a great birthday.

Room Tip: Upgrade to an executive suite
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Google mapped a nice route down I-79 for us to go to Myrtle beach. When I looked for a hotel to stay the night, I was looking for a nice, new hotel. There were none on I-79 or they were all booked. So, I googles for "New" hotel in West Virginia.

I was pointed to Mardi Gras.

It was all worth the slight detour. The hotel is 2 years new and it's very nice. It has a Casino attached but we never went there.

We were there on a week night, so we didn't hear anything through the supposedly "paper thin" walls as mentioned by other Trip Advisor reviewers.

The room was big, nice and clean. The Queen size beds were so comfortable.
The bathroom has brass fixtures and a shower that you will never want to come out of, once you start it.

The towels were soft - not the sandpaper type you get at other hotels.

There is a nice 46" Samsung flat screen in the room with HD channels.

We were warned at reception that the mini bar has a sensor and that we would be charged if we even touched it - so, we stayed clear of the mini bar.

Parking was free and the complimentary continental breakfast was out of this world.

We will go back the to this hotel the next time we are in the area.

We were very happy.

Room Tip: Ask for the room that looks at the hill - there was a deer on the hill both nights that we were ther...
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stopped here on our way to Louisville, KY because it was exactly halfway for us. I realize it has a dog track, but I haven't see anything dog related here.

There is a casino, but you wouldn't know it unless you intentionally go to that area. We did, for the French Quarter restaurant, make our way toward the casino and it looked nice. We had dinner at FQ with our young daughter and it was a decent meal. Not worth the $100+ for the three of us, but decent. The sweet tea is my best memory, so that's probably not good. Crab cakes NOT good. Husband said prime rib was good. Daughter did not enjoy her cod... said it tasted burnt. Bread bowl app was excellent.

The room is EXCELLENT with respect to cleanliness and keurig coffee maker is a plus -- equipped with liquid creamers, variety of coffees and tea. I wish Greenbrier would use this coffee setup. The breakfast downstairs was fantastic. Made to order and on the house. You can't beat that, especially at $129/night.

Salt water swimming pool was great this morning for daughter, even open air to outside and quite warm water. Excellent staff, very friendly.

Highly recommend if you're going through the area. Only complaint was rude housekeeping man on the 3rd floor this morning (8/20). He needs a lesson in guest relations, but not too bad.

Room Tip: Third floor 322 was peaceful and quiet -- very clean rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nitro
Wyndham Garden Hotel Cross Lanes Charleston
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#1 of 4 in Cross Lanes
Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge
Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West
Holiday Inn Express Cross Lanes
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Charleston South

Been to Mardi Gras Casino & Resort? Share your experiences!