“Disappointed”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nitro
Akron, Ohio
“Disappointed”
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Wow. Well where to start.. while our room appeard nice, it was fithy. The shower and toilet were disgusting, and the first towel I picked up to dry my face with smelled terribly dirty.
We had dinner at the restarunt where you watch the dogs race... The first turn or something. Anyway, it was dreadful. I sent my meal back because it was ice cold. It came back very hot, but it tasted terrible, very bland. Just awful. The salad was not fresh and our server was very scattered as well.
The free breakfast in the lobby, however was delicious!!
At check out, the lady asked me if I had a players club card, which I did not. She then informed me (this was the same lady who checked us in the night before mind you) that we could have saved 50 dollars on our room had we signed up for one before 11 pm the previous night! I found that rude and unprofessional.I will return to play ay the casino, but would rather stay at a motel down the road. Don't waste your money.
One more thing. Though their website advertises a spa and massage services, there is nothing of the sort available. I felt VERY misled in that aspect. No spa of any kind.

• Stayed November 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I picked this hotel as a midway stop from our house in Indiana to the Norfolk VA area. The rooms are nice - beds are comfy. The staff is very friendly and helpful. I don't think they gave a lot of thought to families with teens/children possibly staying at this casino/hotel/resort. First of all, all of the eateries within the property are in the casino. This means that you have to arrange with security for your entrance and exit from the eateries if you have kids with you. They do have restaurants close the hotel to eat at, but if I am staying at a 4 star hotel, I would like to have the option to eat at one of the restaurants onsite and not leave the premises. We decided to do room service which is expensive. Secondly, this is really NOT A RESORT. It is a nice hotel with a swimming pool. Will I return? Probably not due to how this "resort" is configured and not very family friendly.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Terri C
Glenwood, West Virginia
Reviewed October 25, 2011

This was our third stay at the Mardi Gras. Some things had improved and some not. We live less than an hour away and going there is easy and gives us a little time away from home. It was my wife's birthday week and this was part of her BD present.
First off, never pay full charge for the rooms. Go to the Player's Club in the casino and get a Players Card. That will get you a discount. There are also many deals you can find on the internet. There was one for the weekend (two nights for $189 plus $100 in comps), but we just did one Saturday night. The room was $119 with $14.28 in taxes. Bring you own refreshments in a cooler for the room. There is a fridge but it is stocked wall to wall with pricey drinks. Don't touch them or you will be charged. The room was very comfortable. Big screen TV, but only one chair. There was a safe in the closet, as well as an iron. Nice shower and spacious bathroom. As this is a casino which serves drinks almost 24/7, do not go looking for a quiet rural retreat. People here party all night and it can be bothersome with the noise. We stayed at a casino in Indiana recently which provided foam earplugs in the console by the bed. Good idea! Not sure if Mardi Gras had them, but all motels/hotels ought to. And party we did. Friends visited and brought their friends. So we were up till 3:30 AM, although we did return to the casino to play blackjack before finally turning in.
Security never called or visited so maybe we weren't too bad.
One of the previous times we stayed they had free drinks on the fourth floor (it may have been during the week). Not this time. We could pay $20 extra for access to a hospitality room with drinks, but we had brought our own, so we declined. We ate in the bar at the hotel while waiting for friends. They had a very tasty pizza for around $12, although it was more like an appetizer. Later we had a Philly Cheese Steak at the Cafe Orleans next to the tables. Having grown up on Philly Cheese Steaks and Subs, these were pretty good...and I've got very high expectations when it comes to these sandwiches. We played the dogs for one race (I won $5.60!), but mostly black jack (broke even) and $10 on video poker (which I lost). I was pleased to see that they kept the $5 black jack tables running all night. In the past, they would move all of them up to $10 except one which was too crowded to ever get in. Maybe it is the economy, but I prefer the $5 tables and they had them without too much waiting for a seat. My biggest disappointment was missing breakfast (and a custom made omelet). They closed service at 9 AM! I believe in the past they stayed open to 10 AM, but I wasn't up soon enough to get this free meal. It was wonderful last time.
So this stay was a good time. The casino is very close to the hotel and valet parking is quick and easy. Staff were very accommodating and no problems were encountered at all.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dendez
Smithfield, Ohio
Reviewed October 17, 2011

We had an amazing time at the hotel. Everyone was very friendly, room was great, and the free breakfast bar was outstanding. They even cook made to order omelets or eggs th way you want them! We even traveled with 3 kids 8, 3, and 2 yrs old. The pool was awesome too. They only thing I would recommend is that they lock the snack bars that are in the room and use it with a key card access. My kids kept opening it and if anything was moved they would charge you for it. Thank goodness we didn't get charged for the one my son lifted out and then hurried an put back! Other than that it was great. We even took our kids to the restaurant inside the Casino. We just had to have security escort us in since they were little. :)))

• Stayed October 2011
Clarksburg, West Virginia
Reviewed September 12, 2011

outstanding hotel... great service friendly staff...clean rooms.. excellant food at resturants..good time

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Clemmons, North Carolina
Reviewed September 3, 2011

I stopped here with my 19 month old son thinking it would be great entertainment to show him the flashing lights and excitement in the casino. We were only there one night as a stop to Ohio and it was the WORST decision of my life! Because I had a baby, I was not allowed in the casino or any restaurants! Glad they had room service because that's the only place we were allowed to go in that hotel and we would have gone hungry! Website said nothing about kids not being allowed anywhere and the babysitting service they offer, there was nobody on duty the time we were there!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Kim R
Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
Reviewed August 22, 2011

A sparkling clean hotel and immaculate casino makes this place a sure stop if you are in or anticipating visiting West Virginia.
First rate staff and accomodations, very freindly personel and an overall positive experience awaits you.
Management has a keen feel for how a casino/hotel should be run.
I certainly will be back, I had a great time.

Room Tip: Very clean and spotless.Great staff who can't do enough for you.