“Super Friendly, Very Clean, Extremely Comfortable”

Holiday Inn Express Newell
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Newell
Butler, Pennsylvania
“Super Friendly, Very Clean, Extremely Comfortable”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

This was another great place to stay. They greeted us with a smile; had all of our room details ready for us, and even gave us a voucher for extra bonus Priority Club points.

Room was exceptionally clean and the bed was as comfortable as any we have ever experienced at a hotel. Bathroom was spotless, and the towels were superb quality.

The breakfast was quite good, but the server attendant was the only downer to this visit. She continuously ignored the fact that there were no plates left. It honestly looked like she was hoping people would just give up and go away. She almost seemed exasperated when people finally gave up and used cereal bowls for eggs. The pancake machine ran out of batter, and rather than refill it, she finally just put a 'closed' sign on it. If they could have replaced her, the breakfast and the complete stay would have been perfect.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I purchased through priceline and got a good deal. $92 / night for 5 nights. When I went to check in they said I booked a smoking room. Priceline does not book guests into smoking rooms. It was the last room. I went up to the 3rd floor. It smelled getting off the elevator but I needed the room. When I opened the door to my room I almost threw up.The STINK was unbearable! I went back to the front desk and the desk clerk said she wouldn't even step foot on the 3rd floor. SHE SAID IT WAS DISGUSTING. I said I couldn't stay, I would make other arrangements for one night somewhere, but could I have nonsmoking for the rest of my stay....only to be told they couldn't put me in a non-smoking room because my reservation was for a smoking room only.To get a nonsmoking room tomorrow they cancelled my reservation and rebooked me at $139.00 / night. I tried to argue about the price but they had cancelled my deal from priceline, blaming them for the mistakea. No manager was available. I figured I would fix things tomorrow with a manager and priceline. I paid at another hotel way out of my way because all the local hotels where full. When I came back the next day I got a stink free room, at a higher price. The room was dirty and as I looked around THERE WHERE BED BUGS dead and alive on the floor, window sill and under the foot of the bed. I WAS OUT-OF-THERE. They got a hell of a scam going.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank TravelingSusi
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newell, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Dear TravelingSusi,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We take comments such as these very serious and would like to follow up with you. We have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Katie J
IHGCare
Indiana
Reviewed April 2, 2012

My wife and I had stayed here once before because it is the only decent place near the Homer Laughlin Pottery outlet. This time we were traveling with our grown children and their children. We needed a pool for the little ones. The reservations for three rooms was made DIRECTLY with the Newell Holiday Inn via telephone. Four days before we were to arrive, we checked online to see that our reservations were all ok and much to our amazement their web site said the pool was closed for repair. We called the hotel and the lady who answered the phone told us that the pool was open but that the hot-tub whirlpool was being repaired. No problem! Somewhat dubious, we contacted the hotel again the next day just to re-confirm that the pool was open; this time we were told the pool was open but they did not have a hot-tub whirlpool! What? Ok, as long as the pool is open and working we will still go!

We were to arrive at different times. When the first of our party arrived, they confirmed the remaining two rooms. When the rest of our party arrived only ONE of the rooms was available and they could not find any confirmation of the third room! After 45 minutes, all of our party where in rooms. However, the third room which was to have been a non-smoking, King, with sofa bed was now a non-smoking, queen with sofa bed and a handicap room.

So, while all worked out almost ok, I will say the following about our stay:
rooms were clean; showers were great; beds were almost great; rooms had all we needed - frig, microwave, hair dryer, and more; breakfast was next to great - especially the automatic pancake maker (the grand kids ate their share)!

The staff seem to be in conflict with each other and some seem to be less informed than others but overall really cared about us.

it is a bother to me that I have been a PRIORITY CLUB REWARDS MEMBER since 2000 and still get these challenges! I would like to see a lower rate for my years of dedication to this chain! I guess that's LIFE!

Room Tip: The elevator shaft is noisy - stay away from it. Due to the hotel's location, ALL of the rooms...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank travelinman06
Massillon, Ohio
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for the night when we were unable to get a hotel at the casino nearby.. I was excited this hotel is located just minutes away from the casino. The room was very clean and we loved the bed by far, the most comfortable bed we have slept on in a hotel. The continental breakfast they offer their guests in the morning is very nice and kept well stocked.We found the rates to be very fair.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Liked:
- Off the highway
- Soft Towels

Disliked:

- The front desk ladies were very unprofessional. Not only were they misinformed about every question I asked (which almost made me leave b/f they corrected their shotgun answers) but each night the young woman working the desk has her guy friend hanging out as they talked about personal things no one was interested in overhearing.
- Lobby was clean looking but the carpets are stained. It seriously looks like a dirty version of the Holiday Inns of the past.
- When I checked in, the bathroom had half used shampoo, conditioner and lotion on the vanity.
- After I left to go to work, the housekeeping staff entered my room when I had a 'Do Not Disturb" sign on my door.
- There is only ONE place near the hotel that will delivery (Wolf's Den Pizza which has an excellent thick crust pizza).

This area is very limited on decent places to stay but I think next time I will go further out to find another place.

Room Tip: Get the third floor so you do not have a construction worker / trucker stomping over your head all n...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newell, responded to this review, April 21, 2012
GETM_CE,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed December 1, 2011

I stayed in this little gem in order to be close to the Fiestaware factory for a little shopping excursion the next morning. I booked through Expedia, and check-in was quick and painless. The room was clean and tidy, stocked with everything we might need, and we were able to put our beer in the fridge and heat up some leftovers in the microwave. I slept like a baby - the bed was comfortable. Breakfast the next morning was fine, and I have to say I had never seen an automatic pancake maker before - I thought that was pretty cool! The food was fresh and the hot water for making tea was actually hot! The staff were very friendly, willing to make small talk and always with a smile on their face. I didn't have occasion to need Wifi, television, or any other extras, so I can't comment on that, but as for a neat and tidy, inexpensive hotel, this did the job.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Youngstown, Ohio
Reviewed October 18, 2011

My wife and I stayed here last weekend and we were very pleased with our stay. The room was very clean and comfortable and had a microwave and mini fridge. The free breakfast they offer from 6am to 10am was the best! They had all sorts of hot and cold food choices along with great coffee and juice. The hotel is only 4 minutes from the casino and race track if thats something your doing while your there. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a clean, comfortable and reasonable priced place to stay. Have fun and good luck if you go to the track. :)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newell
Quality Inn
Best Western Plus The Inn at Franciscan Square
Hampton Inn Steubenville Oh
Hampton Inn Steubenville Oh
#3 of 4 in Steubenville

Been to Holiday Inn Express Newell? Share your experiences!