“Local Gem”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed October 19, 2011

Great wings, cold beer in heavy goblets - pretty sure they said 12 beers on tap. Great jukebox!

Reviewed September 14, 2011

I'm not sure I have ever been here once and not had my bill royally messed up in one way or another. To be fair, it's not always in the favor of the Fishbowl, I've gotten a few drinks on the house, but that doesn't make up for the maaaany time's they've overcharged us. I've even had a few really weird instances with the waitresses accusing my party of not paying and requesting we pay the bill two times. Keep a close eye on your bill and watch out for the wrath of certain waitresses when you try to call their attention to any errors. Yikes.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

This place is a hole in the wall and wonderful wonderful wonderful! When we walked in the door, the entire place applauded and each and every time a new patron would come in, the entire place would erupt with cheers and applause to welcome them. The fish bowls are huge and the atmosphere is absolutely so fun. It isn't a place for children in my opinion as it's really a drinking establishment that serves GREAT WINGS and other fares. I only had the wings and some fish bowls, and I didn't really see anyone else eating anything other than wings and fish bowls. :o) The walls are adorned with notes left by past patrons, and the entire place is covered in funny notes. The only rule is that you can't crawl up on anything to place your note and you can't cover up anyone else's note which is extremely hard due to the volume of patrons that have frequented the place! The bar plays Take Me Home, Country Roads, and the entire place joins arms and sings the schools theme song. It is truly a wonderful bonding WVU experience. If you are in Morgantown, WV, this is the place to be. It may just be the last road side honky tonk in existence and it is not to be missed.

Reviewed August 28, 2011

I lived in Morgantown for ~2 years and I went to Mario's quite a few times - it was my favourite pub in Morgantown.

Various patrons have written things on coasters and stuck them to the walls - these date back to the 60's. Some of them are really funny, like "I just drank a jar of pickle juice in 1.5 seconds" and it's great to read them.

You can opt to try and toss a quarter into a vase that's behind the bar - if you get it in, you get a free drink. The poor bargirls sometimes get hit by rebounding quarters.

The food is fine for bar food, but it's just standard burgers, wings, etc.

The beers come in frosty goblets or "fishbowls".

If you want a fun, friendly pub with a great atmosphere, Mario's is worth a visit!

Reviewed February 18, 2011

I've been going to Mario's since my college days. I remember Mario and Rose keeping our driver's licenses and would not give it back to anyone planning to drive. Great people.

I don't know the new owners, but the place is the same. Good food, served quickly and without fanfare. Cool mix of business folks, locals and WVU students.