“Clean room, comfy bed, but Micro means "really really small"”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Morgantown
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Morgantown
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I waited too long to book my normal motel in Morgantown, and this was the highest rated motel still available.
The room rate was quite high for such minimal lodging. The rooms are incredibly small, with no microwave or fridge, no built in closet (although there is a free standing unit), and very little room to set a laptop - you need to place coffee service on floor to use the small shelf as a desk. The HVAC unit is built into a flat area with a cushioned top that can be used to place your luggage and such, but the cushion prevents it from being used as a flat surface for the coffee service or laptop. It also may have been responsible for the strange behavior of the HVAC unit and its inability to hold a constant temperature.
When checking in I inquired about connecting to the wireless internet, and was lead to believe that it is out of service on a regular basis. It worked for a bit, then quit for the rest of my stay. The front desk stated that neither they nor the service provider had any idea when it would be repaired. It was suggested that I try Panera Bread for internet access. That was not an option for me, but at least they offered an alternative.
The parking lot was overly full, with cars parked in areas that did not have marked spaces, so if the motel is heavily booked you may find yourself in a parking quandary.
All in all, the room was clean, the room was quite, and the bed was comfortable. This would be a decent place to stay at half the cost of ~$130 per night.
I was informed that suites are available for a roomier stay, but there are usually better places available for the same cost as a micro room, and it would seem that the suites would be proportionally more costly.
Several guests were observed booking rooms for the following week, so perhaps they have reasonable weekly rates for longer term stays.
This was listed as pet friendly, but a normal room won't fit 2 people, so evidently you should have a micro-sized pet.
Interstate access is right around the corner, and a Bob Evans is across the drive. A short jaunt down the interstate gains access to a number of restaurants and shopping opportunities.

Room Tip: A suite should be larger, but not certain of the amenities or additional cost.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed May 24, 2012

Stayed here May 10 - this was the second time in a year to stay here on our way to Orlando. Nice, clean and reasonable place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Tina P, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Morgantown, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2012

Thank you for your kind review. It is always a pleasure to see our guests return. We look forward to serving you again during your next trip!
Tina Potts

Reviewed May 7, 2012

I have a renewed faith with microtel upon discovering this hotel located at exit 152 from i-79. We asked to see a room and told the front desk manager Tina Potts that we had a bad experience in Georgia at a microtel. I have to say that these people in Morgantown know what customer service is and take itto a new level. Not only were we impressed with the cleanliness of the room but just walking into the lobby you could tell this was a good choice. They even have a little sign in the bathroom saying that if you forgot something ask the front desk for which i did about a razor.This location will now be on my yearly stay headed home. GREAT JOB.....

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Tina P, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Morgantown, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2012

I remember you and your lovely wife well! Thank you for your kind words! I am happy to know that we were able to assist you in your re-newed faith with our brand. We all look forward to serving you again during your next visit through Morgantown!
Tina Potts

Reviewed April 26, 2012

On our most recent trip to Florida we stopped at this hotel on the advice of a friend. We had never used Microtel and had no idea what to expect. As advertised the room was quite "micro" but it was very clean and inviting. The only real complaint is that the lobby where breakfast was served was also "micro"- so much so that there were only 3 or 4 tables and we ended up eating some toast on the run. That being said, the room was fine, the customer service excellent and overall quality very good.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind review of our hotel. We are glad that you found our service excellent and your room clean and inviting. I do apologize for the limited seating in our breakfast area. We look forward to seeing you during your next trip to Florida!
TIna Potts

Reviewed April 23, 2012

I had stayed at this inn last year (April), and vowed to choose some other facility on this year's trip. My previous stay was spoiled by a boisterous dog in an adjacent room and a sort of lackluster response to the problem from the management. But recent reviews for nearby hotels weren't very flattering, so I decided to give this Microtel a second chance.

This time I was given a room on the other side of the hall, facing I-79. Despite that, the highway noise wasn't too intrusive and I was able to sleep pretty well. I noted no unusual plumbing noises and despite the apparently full house, the other guests were quiet. Better yet, there were no canine sounds to be heard, though I did see a number of dog owners walking their dogs.

As for the rest of the room, it was typically compact yet comfortable enough. I'll give the housekeeping an "A", though there was only one bar of soap in the very clean bathroom. Reception on the TV was pretty horrible, but I wasn't in the mood for TV anyway.

Breakfast was adequate -- the usual selection of cereals that get pulverized by the dispenser, and watery orange juice being the only weak spots. Check-in and check-out were efficient and acceptably quick. Overall, the inn is still attractive and well-maintained. (The lighting in the parking lot could stand some upgrading, though).

All in all, a pleasant overnight stay, so I'll upgrade my rating and say that they've redeemed themselves.

Room Tip: If you're bothered by highway noise, the odd-numbered rooms face away from I-79.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 21, 2012

If you are looking for a place to stay in Morgantown WV look no further.Microtel has a wonderful and warm atmosphere.The staff gives you that at home feeling as soon as you walk in the door.The rooms are very clean,the beds are the greatest and they have rooms so you can bring your pets also.The staff treats you as if they have known you all their life,also they are very knowledgable of where to eat,where to go or giving directions.Their free thats right free breakfast is above and beyond what you might expect,more than enough choices to choice from.

Hats Off To The Staff
Traci, Annie,And The Whole Gang

Room Tip: Best view is front side.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2012

This was our 7th hotel in 12 days, on a road trip from Toronto to Key West. We checked in and were given a room on the first floor. Jeremy gave excellent customer service when we reported that the A/C in the room wasn't working - he offered to move us to a suite with one queen bed, but we opted for just another room with two beds, so he adjusted the price to compensate for our inconvenience. Certainly we didn't expect that, but it was very welcome and a great customer service gesture.

The rooms are meant for what they do - provide a brief respite overnight on the trip to or from someplace else. If I was staying for any length of time, the lack of a closet would bother me, but for an overnight stay, it was no issue. The beds were comfortable,the room and bathroom were clean, the TV worked, there were enough plugs for charging our various devices.

Breakfast was probably the skimpiest we've had so far - and there are only 2 little tables in the breakfast area - so that quickly became problematic. But there is an excellent "Bob Evans" restaurant in front of the hotel - so I'd opt for that if we were to go back.

Recommended.