“Unique dining experience in Morgantown”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Madeleine's - CLOSED

Madeleine's
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Wichita, Kansas
“Unique dining experience in Morgantown”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2007

Restaurant is located on High St (Morgantown's version of Main St) in an old retail building. Where mannequins once adorned the window area inside, tables now are set up on the stage next to the windows. The furnishings are scarce, but tasteful. Looks better at night than the day. Let's face it, do we really care if the food is good. The food is fantastic! Very innovative special's menu. But the regular menu is nothing to sneeze at either. Berry Salad ( strawberry, blueberry, rasperry) with wet nuts..tasty! Seafood chimichanga with an aoli sauce ...not what I would have ordered, however my friends did and split it with me - WOW! I'd have it again! I had a trout dish stuffed with , I believe was, boursin cheese, shrimp and scallops - excellent! Everyone else had the seafood Paella - not the the usual soupy consistency - needless to say nothing was left except the shells! For dessert you must try their Banana's Foster, just don't compare it to any you've had before. AS it is a bread pudding with Bananas and more bananas on the plate with ice cream and a caramel/banana (very sweet) sauce is drizzled on top. You know it's pretty darn good if, even the non-dessert people goobled it down.
Avoid after WVU football games. Call ahead for reservations.
Only downfall/con is that they don't have their own website.

2 Thank wljmp

Bethesda, Maryland
“An oasis of tastiness”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2006

We're new to Morgantown, and being kind of particular about where we eat, we researched the options -- Madeline's was conspicuously lacking its own web site, and we couldn't find anything detailed. However, "creative menu" was enough to get us downtown to take a look.

We weren't disappointed. The decor is a combination of college-town hipster and catfish shack -- the standard-issue stackable chairs indicate that the food is likely to be high priority here.

We ordered four dishes off the tapas/light meal menu, and were given a quizzical look by our server. "That's a lot of food!" she said. We chuckled -- four dishes would barely quell the hunger pangs at the tapas joints we go to. We promised we'd eat it all.

But this is not a tapas joint. The first dish, a spinach salad with blue cheese, candied walnuts and yummy roasted peaches, was split in half, and each half was -- well, bigger than expected. We finished it all. I washed it down with my 22-oz Rogue Soba Ale ($5.50).

We had three dishes left, and after realizing scale of the portions, we were worried. No time for that -- arriving now was a crispy quesadilla with portabella and tenderlion tips, salmon with dill, mustard, and saffron aioli, and shrimp with tasso and a grits cake.

Everything was delightful -- the dishes had a homey flavor to them, not the typical butter-scallions-and-salt restauranty thing going on. But the main thing I remember is the fried grits. If this experience doesn't get me hauling my Fry Daddy out every time I boil up some polenta, I'll be surprised.

The best part of the experience is that the bill was easily 50% of what we would have paid for a comparable meal in DC -- not to say that it's this easy to find homegrown tomatoes at a DC restaurant. We'll definitely be back next time we're passing through.

6 Thank DazzlingSuburbanite