“please do not stay here...very very DIRTY....”

Best Western Mountaineer Inn
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Morgantown
west virginia
“please do not stay here...very very DIRTY....”
Reviewed February 15, 2010

went to stay there as we had a appointment at the medical center....it was beyond dirty,dusty and the bathroom was so dirty i could not even take a shower when u sat on the toilet ur knees hit the door..also had a terrible odor...

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Lewes, Delaware
Reviewed August 20, 2009

Doing the college road trip tour with my teenage daughters we visited WVU and thankfully we didn't spend alot time at the hotel. After checking in on a Friday night, we entered the lodging section of the hotel and were greeted by the aroma of mildew. Our room was just as aromatic as the hallway. Upon opening the curtains in our room the next morning, there was heavy plastic covering the windows. There was no view and very little sunlight. Apparently, they were preping the building for sandblasting. The common areas were not very clean, ex. a cup of orange juice had sat in a stairwell for the two days we were there!

The continental breakfast was palatible with the waffle iron a definite plus, probably the only positive in our 2 day stay at this hotel. The staff was not overly accomodating and the pool was saturated with chemicals.

If my daughter decides WVU is her college choice I certainly won't be staying here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank kmanisle

Travelers are raving about these Morgantown hotels

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 17, 2008

I was working in Morgantown over the weekend and decided to stay at this hotel.

The website said that the pool was closed for renovations. Luckily I took my bathing suit anyway as it was open. Pool area was OK. Was all set to jump in (had already taken off my coverup) when I went looking for a towel. Towels are located at the front desk. Why they don't have them in the pool area is beyond me. Had to get dressed again and go to the front desk to get a towel (a tiny towel for that matter). I'm just glad that I didn't wait until after I got out of the water to find a towel.

I got back from work Saturday evening only to find out the the only thing the maid did to my room was make my bed, empty my garbage and give me new towels. Didn't empty my ashtrays, left my dirty cups on the tables, did not give me new ones. Did not give me any more shampoo, lotion, etc. I called the front desk to have someone come up to finish cleaning my room but nobody was available. I asked for some shampoo at least. Was told somebody would bring it up. Nobody did. Ended up having to go down to the front desk to pick some up.

Would never stay at this hotel again!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Housekeeping
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Pittsburgh
Reviewed June 4, 2008

We booked a room at the Best Western for one night to attend the WVU new student orientation. The desk clerks were very pleasant and informative about the area. The girls were very helpful and apologetic when we returned with keys that wouldn't open our room.
The hallway was a little stuffy but the rooms, beds and linens were clean and fresh. The air conditioner worked like a charm.
Ameneties include an indoor pool and an exercise room. The pool is a little on the smaller side but it's a pool none the less.
The exercise room was nice and equiped with several different types of exercise machines. The only downfall was, the exercise room is located off the lobby; there's not much privacy.
The continental breakfast was good. There were too many items to list but breakfast Included items such as muffins, bagels, fruit, juices, coffee, tea, cereal and even freshly made waffles.
The Best Western isn't the Hilton but is definately a nice place to stay for a reasonable price.

• Stayed June 2008
Erlanger, KY
Reviewed June 2, 2008

After staying here, I was surprised to see this hotel ranked so low on TripAdvisor. I didn't have high expectations for staying anywhere in couchburner-town, but being a Best Western GoldCrown member, I chose to take my chances and stay here despite some of the negative reviews. I have to report that I was pleasantly surprised.

It's obvious that the rooms have been renovated not too long ago, and they are very nice for the price. New furniture, comfortable bed, clean bathroom, and most of all, nice clean carpet (you know housekeeping is sub-standard in a hotel when you walk across the carpet without your shoes on and your socks get dirty...that didn't happen here).

This is not a luxury hotel, and don't come here for the view - there isn't one. The hotel is tucked away in the side of a hill. But it's in a convenient location, close to gas stations, restaurants, etc., and the rates are very reasonable, particularly considering the well-done room renovations. If I must return to Morgantown in the future, I'll stay here again.

• Liked — Good value for the price
  • Disliked — No real complaints this time
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Hellertown, PA
Reviewed April 1, 2008

The staff was great! I dealt with Spencer & Stormy & they couldn't have been more helpful & pleasant. I've stayed there 2ce in the last 2 mos, my son is at WVU & I will continue to stay there. If you use the coupon avail in the WV welcome center (I stop there to get it as I cross the PA state line) comparable places in the area costs nearly double.

For around $60, this hotel meets all my needs at a fantastic price. However, you cannot prebook & use the coupon. I get a nice room w/2 double beds (you can get king), coffee maker, microwave, refrigerator, TV, & in the hotel til 9:30 a.m. you get a free continental breakfast w/waffles, there's an indoor pool, gym & free internet.

If you're looking for a luxurious stay, or if you want to be within walking distance to the WVU campus or hospital, this may not be the place for you. If you're looking for a clean, decent place at an incredible price w/lots of amenities, 1-2 miles away from most of the other hotels, get the coupon & book it here. Its located in the Star City area around Morgantown, apparently more the working class area.

For me, the hotel is located perfectly. I love to walk the beautiful Monongahela River Walk which is w/i a block of the Best Western. There's a quaint little Fathers' park there & you can observe the old mining equipment coming out of the mountains across the river. A mall now resides on the other side of that mountain. I saw beautiful frozen waterfalls in the winter cascading off the mountains along the walk & lots of happy birds.

I'll be back!

Stayed March 2007
WV
Reviewed February 17, 2008

Stayed here before with no problems...wow what a difference a year makes. Hotel is showing it's age: door frames coming off, mold, mildew in bathroom, horrible beds. To top it off, our keys wouldn't work our last morning there. Rude front desk girl made 3 keys, all of which didn't work, inisited I was trying the wrong room number, then said to me "Well I made several keys, you're door must be broke." Then looked at me as if to say what more do you want from me. We've stayed here before, but never again. Pay a little more money and stay somewhere else. The housekeeping people were the only polite ones.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)