“not the best”

Best Western Mountaineer Inn
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Morgantown
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The room was moderately priced compared to others in the area. The room was newly remodeled, but they were all cosmetic cover-ups. There was mold int he bathroom and on the carpet. The breakfast was also a joke. An hour before breakfast was over on a Sunday morning, they were out of everything except bread and apples. No hot items as listed. When I asked the front desk they said what you see if all that is left and they had no plans to put out anything else. Overall, the hotel was ok, the lack of breakfast just left a bad final impression on our stay. The staff was also not very professional. The room was adequate and did have a nice size mini fridge and even a microwave. We had a king bad and a pull out sofa. The bathroom was extremely small - you could not even open the door all the way because it hit the shower bar and there was no way two people could be in there at the same time. We paid $72 for one night. This was cheaper than some of the other hotels in the area, but certainly not the cheapest.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Morgantown was the halfway point of a very long car trip for us. So we planned to stay overnight in Morgantown. I just looked up some hotels on the computer, and chose the Best Western Mountaineer Inn because a friend of mine is always telling me that she and her husband enjoy Best Western Hotels. However, this one left a little to be desired. There's nothing that much WRONG with it: it just needs a lot of sprucing up. There were a lot of men staying there who appeared to be working some type of construction job: they had mud or dirt all over them. The rooms appeared clean, but smelled musty. There were various smells in other parts of the motel too....not the same as the musty smells in the room, but maybe cleaning fluid or a mixture of dirt and cleaning fluid. I don't know. The pool area looked very nice. it was pretty and clean. We did not use it. Some families staying there were making use of the pool. Breakfast was certainly serviceable, but nothing to write home about. The price was good (with our AAA discount, it came to about $80 per night for a room with 2 double beds). I must say that it was very, VERY quiet and the bed was comfortable. I just don't know if I would stay there again with all the other choices.

Room Tip: We requested a quiet room. And it was quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Good bed, poor breakfast, a hair on the shower wall, and most disturbing, the coffee maker and accoutrement were in the bathroom! To it's credit it was a quiet night's sleep, and the staff were courteous.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed July 9, 2013

If you were to drive to this place and judge it from the outside, you would pass onto another hotel. the garbage is piled high and there is trash on the sidewalk and close to the entrances. However, when you walk inside you are in another world...clean, modernized and friendly people. The rooms are comfortable and quiet. Breakfast is fine with a variety. They provide a newspaper for customers. they just don't see the value of cleaning up outside.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I came to Morgantown recently to meet up with some friends who are moving to that area. We chose the Best Western due to its Star City location and the price. Neither of us were too sure about the place when we pulled in, but let me say, looks can be deceiving. The front desk clerk was very pleasant and we were checked in quickly. The king room we had was very nice; had a very comfortable bed, was quite spacious and was very quiet. The only complaint we had was the funky smell in the elevator. The hotel may not look like much from the outside, but the courteous and pleasant staff, the comfort of the accommodations really make up for it. We'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on our way back from Myrtle Beach. This is our 2nd stay and we loved it. It is very clean, has professional and accommodating staff, very comfortable beds, and it is VERY QUIET! We have stayed in Hampton Inn Morgantown before - we could not sleep all night it was very loud. In comparison Best Western is in a quiet location, the room doors are solid and we did not hear anything all night! Best sleep ever. We stay in hotels quite often, and this Best Western compares well with the amenities - you get a free local paper, gym, pool, wireless. Also, the breakfast is the same as in Hampton inn! I have read a review about someone complaining about breakfast, but we found it great - scrambled eggs, bacon, waffle maker, fruit, yogurt, cereal, bagels, muffins, juice, coffee and more! We were pleasantly surprised. The location, is quiet, right off the highway (no need to drive 20 minutes to get to the hotel once in Morgantown), across from a nice steak restaurant, also across from Golden Corral (for those who love this buffet). It is a short walk to a river where you can take a nice walk. I honestly think this hotel should charge more for what they offer. The only noticeable thing was that the bathroom was a little small but we spent so little time in the bathroom that it made no difference to us. The room came with microwave and mini-fridge plus a couch - this would cost double in Hampton Inn Morgantown, where we did not get any sleep due to hearing sirens all night long and other guests. If you want to get a good night sleep - I recommend this Best Western Mountaineer Inn.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mmichalk
kari j, Manager at Best Western Mountaineer Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Thank you.. We look forward to seing you again!

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I took a chance even with the mixed reviews and it paid off. While the location isn't as nice as some other hotels in the area, the hotel itself is in good shape, is clean and met our needs. My daughter lives in Morgantown and my husband and I like to get a hotel on some of our visits for all of us to stay. Normally we stay in the Euro Suites which is a great hotel, but the Best Western was cheaper so I figured we'd give it a shot. We stayed there two nights. The room was clean and in good shape, the breakfast was decent enough and while we were planning on using the pool and didn't, it looked like it was also in good shape.

Two things worth mentioning is 1) the awkwardness of the exercise room. It is like a fish bowl, both from the outside and the lobby including the breakfast area. It's very strange. It's the first thing I noticed while pulling up to check in and I wondered why they didn't at least tint the windows from all sides. It was another thing I was planning on using and I probably would have if I had the time, but it was just weird. And 2) we had requested a slightly later check out (at 12pm instead of 11am) which the front desk had approved the night before. At 10:45am that morning the housekeepere started banging on the door. My daughter explained to him that we had a late check out but I guess he didn't understand because about every 15 minutes he would bang on our door as a reminder, although I that point we didn't answer because he'd do it as he was passing. I told the front desk and English was apparently not his first language. They said a DND sign on the door would have helped. Other than that, the front desk staff was nice, the property was in good shape, and for the price, we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank You... We look forward to seeing you again..