“Not fancy outdoors but a big, nice room”

Best Western Mountaineer Inn
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Morgantown
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Most tourists probably go up the hill where the other hotels and restaurants are but we stayed here ... a bit further into town from I-79, on the left side, just past the first gas station on the left side of the road. The exterior is looking a bit shabby but the lobby is fine.

Our room was huge and very nicely furnished. We got a good price (AAA rate) of $71.

There is a gym and an indoor pool which we did not use. (Stayed one night while driving home from Florida.) Free Internet worked well and was fast.

It looks to us like tourists are not staying here; there were not many cars when we got here at 8pm while other hotels (in the area up on the hill) seemed very busy. But we would stay here again, esp. if the price was very competitive again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
kari j, Manager at Best Western Mountaineer Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Thank you for your response. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I like the location next to stores. The rooms were clean and service was just right. I could have stayed anywhere but I chose to stay at this establishment because it is clean and the staff are all nice. I was glad to see that there is a breakfast now. That comes in handy when needing to check out in the morning just grab and go.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I visited Morgantown for a concert this month and stayed at the best western. The rooms were clean and staff was extremely nice. I have been to Morgantown several times before and still can't seem to find my way around the town. The staff at the best western gave me directions to the concert, restaurants and night clubs. Next time I visit Morgantown I know where I'm staying! Thanks again best western staff

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We came down to visit our daughter and step daughter who goes to WVU the hotel was close to the campus and very reasonably priced. We will definitely revisit the next time that we come down. The check in was quick and the stand was very friendly. The continental breakfast was just enough to get our day started. We would definitely suggest to anybody coming to the area to give this location a try

Room Tip: Any room was good
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Ok, so the hotel itself wasn't so bad... no bed bugs.. clean.. other than the dog poop under the desk when I attempted to plug in my laptop.. called the front desk and they came and picked it up and said it was weird that they didn't allow pets.... well, we didn't have any.. you would think that the cleaning staff would have found it when vacuuming... Oh, and the breakfast.. what a laugh.. powdered eggs.. bacon.. stale donuts and cereal... but they were out of milk...

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2012

My husband and I had planEd to go to the 2012 University of Oklahoma vs West Virginia football game and made reservations at this hotel several months in advance. A week before our stay, I had to cancel the reservation as we were unable to make the trip due to an illness in the family. Very disappointed as we like to make a one out of state game to a new location each year. I had booked the room thru Expedia and it took three phone calls to Expedia and two to the hotel to get the room cancelled. Then, since I was not cancelling TWO WEEKS in advance, the manager tried to charge me a two night penalty. She first tried to blame the penalty on Expedia, which was not true. Then she said all hotels in Morgantown have the same cancellation policy, which was untrue as I cancelled a second hotel in Morgantown thru Expedia for the same weekend with no penalty. Then she blamed it on a special event (football game) but I did not book with a special event or get a special event price. Three nights stay with all the hotel taxes was going to cost me $427. She charged me $378 for a two night penalty. Luckily, my credit card company is dealing with the hotel on the penalty. Thank you VISA! My husband called the local Chamber of Commerce and was told that the owner of this hotel owns two others in town and gets alot of complaints regarding their lack of customer service. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
4  Thank Deanna C
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We had a reservation for 11/18 that we had to cancel, but it was past the cancellation deadline. We contacted the hotel and they said it was too late to cancel but we asked them to let us know if someone wanted the room. About 2 hrs later the hotel called and we could cancel the room since they found someone to take it. Very good customer service.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
kari j, Manager at Best Western Mountaineer Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thank you!! Hope to see you soon!