Best Western Mountaineer Inn
Suburban Extended Stay Hotel(Morgantown)(Great Value!)
Euro-Suites Hotel(Morgantown)
$134
  • Pool
$99
$84
All reviewsroom was cleanmyrtle beachwould stay againdonutsyogurtcontinental breakfastnight's sleepwest virginia universityfront desk staffbwwvgravymountaineercollegehospitalstadium
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 1, 2011

We arrived at this hotel after a long tiring day of driving (10 Hours) with our 3 young children, and were disappointed from the moment we arrived. We had a reservation for a Non-smoking room with 2 double beds and we were given a room with 1 king-sized bed in a smoking section of the hotel. Our children had to hold their noses in the hallways as the odour of smoke pervaded the space. It also apperared dirty and run-down. For some reason, they put the Non-smoking rooms right across from the Smoking ones.The elevator also smelled gross - it had the the odour of cigarettes and urine. Regardless of that, we had returned to the front desk, and advised them that we required the 2 beds for our family. The clerk's response was that we had requested the king-size bed, (which was inaccurate as we had specifically requested a room with 2 beds), and that they had no other rooms as they were completely full with guests from the Special Olympics. She then offered us a Smoking room with 2 double beds, so we thought we`d try it out (it was late, we were all exhausted and the kids just wanted to go to sleep). As soon as we walked in, we almost immediately turned around and walked out - there was absolutely no way we could stay with the intense smell of smoke. Again we had returned to the front desk, looking for some sort of solution as we really didn`t know what to do or where to go. To her credit, the young lady was extremely apologetic and was empathically trying to assist us. She had offered us a refund and had called the Quality Inn (also owned by the same owner) to see if they could accommodate us with a room as they apparently had availability. Honestly, she was the only good thing about this hotel as she seemed to try her best to rectify the situation.

I also wanted to mention that we were not the only ones that were in this position, as I happened to overhear her telling another lady at the front desk the exact same thing (i.e. that she would offer her a refund, and that she could use it at the Quality Inn down the street)... Something seemed odd about the `coincidence' - we`d suspected that our reserved rooms had been given away to other guests.

At that point, we decided to go to the Quality Inn as we had no other choice. Although it was slightly cheaper, it seemed we had gone from bad to worse. My only 2 criteria for staying in a hotel is that it be clean and safe, and this seemed just as bad as the 'Worst Western'.

Believe it or not, it was after 10:00 pm with 3 little ones begging to stay so they could sleep, and we decided we`d be better off driving all the way home (a 6-hour trip) that night than stay at either one of those locations. Thankfully, in the pitch black of night, we made a wrong turn and ended up at another hotel (NOT a Best Western) with a completely opposite experience. They provided a warm welcome, very friendly staff who helped us get settled, along with sparkling clean and safe-looking facilities. To be honest (although very frustrating at the time), I was glad they had given away our reservation!

Unless you don`t mind offensive odours, and the possibility of having your reservation given away to someone else, I would not recommend this hotel... it's not worth it. This experience at the 'Worst Western' was a bad experience and unfortunately we lost all faith in this chain of hotels because of it.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 2, 2011

This was the nastiest hotel I have ever been in. Trash and condom wrapper left in elevator for 2 days, floors dirty, food area dirty. When I called to report bed bugs, staff was rude and unconcerned. Only stated no refunds available. Next call is to Morgantown Health Department then Best Western corporate office. Do yourself a favor and sleep in your car first!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank lalberti
Reviewed November 8, 2010

On Oct 22, 2010 I checked into Rm 217. It looked old but overall clean. Sadly, the next morning I woke up to tiny reddish brown bugs crawling all over my pillow. I was so grossed out and hoped I had not been bitten. A week later red spots appeared all over me and especially one side of my face. I went to the doctor and before I said anything, she asked where I had been. I personally did not even think about the bugs but the doctor knew right away I had been attacked. It has been over 2 weeks and the bites have faded but still have not gone away. This is one of my WORST experiences EVER! On top of everything, I told Best Western and they refused to refund my money. The best they could do was give 30% off each night which I still have not seen credited back to my account. I will never stay at a "Bug" Western AGAIN!!!! They are a Huge fail and the whole place needs to be torn down.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank WVUGirl07
Reviewed October 19, 2010

Didn't have internet, elevator smelled, bathroom too small~toilet sticks out, upon ck out ~ the lady didn't know how to use the best western gift card~it took 45 mins. :(

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed September 7, 2010

We stayed for two nights for a Mountaineers game. The staff was rude on the phone (before arrival & during stay). The halls and carpet smelled and were stained. The shower had a slow drain... which was disgusting for 4 people to shower in. The next day, they hadn't even cleaned the tub! The sheets had a number of hairs on the first night so we took the sheets off ourselves to ensure they were changed. The 2nd night, there was a spider in the bed. I can't believe Best Western even attaches their name to that place! We lost confidence in the chain all together.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends