WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of SpringHill Suites Morgantown

SpringHill Suites Morgantown
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Morgantown
Virginia
“Terrific place: Note the alternate address for GPS!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

First, do NOT plug the real address into the GPS. 5 miles of winding 1 1/2 lane mountain roads later, we ended up at the wrong place. Check their website and use that address! :-)

Very clean & comfy. Great room design: it's not a separate bedroom, but some Springhill Suites have a weird separate bathroom and clear window separating the desk & bed - this one has a wall (helps someone sleep after someone else is up). Free Internet without a password (nice!) Clean & comfy, mini-fridge. Great staff. Workout room has free weights, which I love.

Breakfast was good with a few extras. No hotel-waffle-maker, but salsa & cheese for the eggs and Nutella and a wide variety of little extras.

Walking distance to a few fast-food places, which is handy.

We would stay again - but this time, we would use exit 4, not exit 7.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank professorroyhinkley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay. We were traveling and decided to stop because the weather was getting bad. Our room was very nice. Everything was very clean and comfy. The staff was very friendly. The breakfast was good. My husband's only complaint was they didn't have waffles at breakfast. I would stay there again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

Traveled to Morgantown with my children to visit family. Front desk was very helpful and got us checked in quickly. The suite was great. Had plenty of room for the 3 of us and very clean. The kids spent a lot of time at the indoor pool and hot tub. There is plenty of places to eat nearby within walking distance. We will be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

Stayed here one night for business. Standard Springhill suites - nice rooms, very clean, etc. What really stood out is the breakfast they had. All Springhills have complimentary continental breakfast, but this one was great - a lot of varied options, fruit, and some hot foods. Would stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Ash0818
Easton, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

I booked a stay at this hotel in December, when my husband, myself, our 4 month old and my mom would be staying there. It was our first time traveling with our baby, so I was a nervous wreck and asked the staff member a bazillion questions when making the reservation. The staff member was wonderful and thoroughly answered all my questions and put me at ease. On our trip there, our car broke down about an hour away from the hotel. There was no way to get to the hotel and it was after their free-cancellation window. I called the front desk and explained our situation and asked if it would be possible to cancel with no penalty. The staff member was wonderful and canceled our reservation with no problems. I would book here again simply based on the kindness of the staff members I spoke with.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Charleston, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

Compared to other lodging choices in Morgantown, I have found this to be a top choice. First, the staff are very pleasant and most accomodating. You also notice how clean the hotel is wherever you are. The rooms are fairly large, and in addition to the bedroom, there is a separate area with a sofa and television, and a desk to work on, with access to free wifi. I found the bed to be very comfortable and slept comfortably. Finally, the free breakfast included a wide variety of choices, and was better than most "serve yourself" buffets.

The hotel is very convenient to I-68, and the drive to reach town or campus is not too bad (less than 10 minutes). Given the alternatives, I think this is the best option in the area, and the prices are quite reasonable.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Sparta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

My business colleague and I scheduled a stay at this hotel as a first experience with Springhill Suites. We typically stay with Hilton Properties and will never stay with Springhill again. We specified our need for a handicapped accessible room, as we have mobility needs and travel with oxygen and other medical supplies. Staff was accommodating and courteous when we booked our room a week or so in advance. But when we arrived for our stay, we discovered the hotel to be fully booked (as was every other hotel in the city, due to sporting events), and we had been placed in a second floor room (not a safe location for those with mobility issues in the off-chance of an emergency). Our mobility limitations were clearly communicated to the front desk staff, who graciously helped us move into our room and refused a tip.

At one in the morning, game-goers were still returning from Morgantown's biggest college game of the year. The hallways finally quieted around two am. My friend and I had come to town expressly for the purpose of getting extra rest before a week of treatment, as the purpose of our visit was medical. At four am, the fire alarm sounded. I immediately called the front desk and asked if there was an actual fire so I would know whether or not we could use the elevators to get off the second floor (my roommate and colleague has MS and oxygen, so navigating the stairs would be a huge problem). The desk clerk told me he did not know. I immediately began packing medical equipment in case we needed to evacuate our room and assisted my roommate. I also placed several more calls to the front desk, but all went unanswered. I would later learn that the twenty-something clerk was the only employee on the site, and his call to his Springhill manager to come to his assistance was denied. He was left to manage the emergency on his own.

No one waiting in our hallway knew whether or not there was a threat of actual fire, so I went down the stairs to the lobby, where a crowd had gathered. I questioned a half dozen people there, and no one had seen a Springhill employee and knew nothing. Fearing for my friend, I returned to the second floor. I made the return trip to the lobby a second time and was still unable to learn if there was an actual fire.

After approximately thirty minutes, the front desk clerk appeared, and a fire truck arrived. I stood at the desk until I overheard that something was malfunctioning in the sprinkler system. At this point, I asked the desk clerk if I could inform the second floor that there was no threat of fire. He said yes.

At no point during the night did Springhill staff inquire about the mobility needs of myself or my friend. We were forced from our room until 9am and slept on the lobby floor, until we moved to our car in 25 degree temperatures. During the multiple moves, her health was compromised, and we even lost personal items in the multiple moves from location to location.

I requested a refund of two night's stay out of six from Springhill Suites and was repeatedly denied, with their reiteration that one night's compensation was satisfactory for a hotel chain that never expressed one moment of courtesy or concern for guests with clearly-stated mobility needs who were forced to sleep on the floor. Of course, they could not have predicted a faulty sprinkler system. However, they could express commensurate compassion for a guest experience where their safety and needs were totally ignored.

I do not see this as a fault of the young man at the desk that night. I commended him for his efforts in a losing situation. Springhill Suites does not have security present on their property, and the fact that they did not have security on site on their busiest night of the year says a great deal about the value they place on the customer experience and the unreasonable expectations they place on their night desk staff. A beautiful room means nothing in a situation like this. Springhill management could learn lot to learn from their competitors.

Room Tip: Handicapped accessible rooms are on the second floor--a safety risk in an emergency.